Liquid Smoke

I have an old bottle of Wright's "all natural' Hickory Seasoning aka Liquid Smoke.
There's no date anywhere on the factory sealed bottle.
Does anybody know what's in this stuff?
Does anybody know if it has the shelf life of, say, motor oil?

Is this stuff scrapings from somebody's fireplace?

You can be sure that there's not a LOT of natural products in there!
It's the best thing in the world for making a brisket in the oven though.

I never did care for it but I had no idea it was actually made from the smoke of burning hickory/mesquite at high temps.

I have an old bottle of Wright's "all natural' Hickory Seasoning aka Liquid Smoke.
There's no date anywhere on the factory sealed bottle.
Does anybody know what's in this stuff?
Does anybody know if it has the shelf life of, say, motor oil?

Is this stuff scrapings from somebody's fireplace?
It will give the average person internal gurgles.

I've not used the stuff in years, but the secret seemed to be less is more. Use less than a drop or put a drop in water then use a bit of the water. Just give some hint of a background of bongish wood smoke. Liquid and fire. Once you go real smoke, there is fire. 😅

Too much and ruin the dish/meat.

Too old, crusty bottle. Pitch it. Tar, like smoking a pack before Musk does his business.

I have not used it in years either and cannot even remember what I used it for. I think I would throw it away though because it's not fun getting food poisoning.

I forgot I use to use liquid smoke to make jerky at home many years ago before those little kits came out.

JCS_DETAIL_Pepper__68528.jpg

I've not used the stuff in years, but the secret seemed to be less is more. Use less than a drop or put a drop in water then use a bit of the water. Just give some hint of a background of bongish wood smoke. Liquid and fire. Once you go real smoke, there is fire. 😅

Too much and ruin the dish/meat.

Too old, crusty bottle. Pitch it. Tar, like smoking a pack before Musk does his business.

This is the key. Just a little goes a very long ways. It doesn’t help that the bottles are a pain to pour from.

We used to use just one drop in pork lumpia filling. We would make several dozen for large gatherings. Those lumpia disappeared quickly.

Back