AutoTrak II with DOT3 Contamination

TLDR: was in a rush and used an old gun with 5 year DOT3 residue for Auto-Trak II on NP246 plus 40% of that Auto-Trak was 10 years old – what potential issues could a paranoid person expect – should I replace it or leave it?

MORE DETAIL: had a long weekend full of maintenance on my 07 Suburban 2500, replaced a whole bunch of parts and fluids in 2 days, then finally changed the transfer case fluid in my NP246. By the time I got to the t-case it was late Sunday afternoon, so I found out that no local parts stores keep Auto-Trak II in stock, while the dealers were closed, but I got lucky at NAPA and bought their last 2 bottles, score. Had a fair share of setbacks through the project as is and, of course, the final one was the worst one.

They say, “nothing good ever comes out of hurry and frustration - only misery”, oh how true. My old pump that I've used for ATF before refused to work and wasted half a bottle of unobtanium Auto-Trak II, so I got desperate and searched my shop for a replacement, came across a nice big suction gun that I got from NAPA many years ago. I also found an old sealed bottle of Auto-Trak II from about 10 years ago. So I’ve used both of them to just get it done. Then I got to thinking…

I’m pretty sure that the big old suction gun I last used about 5 or more years ago for DOT3 fluid, it seemed dry inside, but who knows. I just now looked up some DOT3 MSDS and it seems that it has only 0.01 evaporation rate. Some forums also mention old DOT3 jelling with time. So now I have a concern that I might have contaminated my Auto-Trak fluid with old DOT3. On top of that, I now have doubts about 3/4 quart of the 10-year-old Auto-Trak that I’ve used in addition to the 1 new quart, it was in a sealed bottle, but old enough that it had no new-style foil seal, just a screw cap that wasn’t broken open. Theoretically, ATF should have a good shelf life, but it was stored in a shop for 10 years with ambient temperatures ranging from 30* to 100* and plenty of humidity in the air.

What do you all think? Should it stay or should it go? What could possibly get messed up in a transfer case by DOT3 residue and 40% of fluid being 10 years old? Debating about draining it all again and refilling. This truck usually gets the best of everything and needs to be reliable. But hoping maybe someone could talk me into keeping it as is. But I don’t want to mess up my nice expensive transfer case. Thoughts?

But I don’t want to mess up my nice expensive transfer case. Thoughts?
I vote to change it out. Your mind is already made up. You have only a bit of time and expense to change it out vs. a much more expensive potential. Don't over think this.

Ask questions to a site that requires OCD as a membership criteria, and you will get OCD opinions. There is also value in peace of mind.

I’ve been in the site long enough to receive treatment for OCD. I’d say don’t worry about it. It’s not enough volume to affect anything. If 40% of the fluid was DOT brake fluid, then I would worry. With full respect for other’s comments.....

All anyone here can do is speculate. If you're worried just change it out. The peace of mind is worth the cost, in my opinion.

Thank you for all the replies, everybody, I've decided to err on the side of caution and change the fluid again. Transfer cases are expensive and harder to change. Fluid is cheap and easy to replace. Drained it already and picked up a couple fresh bottles of Auto-Trak II from NAPA in a town nearby. Cost me $20 for the 2 quarts and $20 for a new suction gun and $10 for Permatex 80632 pipe dope with PTFE that I forgot to get last time. That's not too bad for a peace of mind and one less thing to worry about when I'm on the road far away from home. I appreciate all the opinions. This site rocks, it's been my go-to for two decades now, usually my questions are already answered, but apparently, I'm the first one who's mixed ATF with Brake Fluid and so I had to ask.

ahh the good old np246. my dad had a suburban with one, and the pump inside ate a hole in the magnesium case. he got a transfer case from a 90s farm truck that was a manual shift and didn't have clutches, and never had a problem after that.

a case saver would work, but my dad doesn't like electronic stuff so he just converted it to manual shift.

brake fluid in oil is an old dishonest car dealer trick to stop oil leaks. But you have your worry beads out so you know you have to change it again.

No hurry, wait for a nice day in the shop

Rod

ahh the good old np246. my dad had a suburban with one, and the pump inside ate a hole in the magnesium case. he got a transfer case from a 90s farm truck that was a manual shift and didn't have clutches, and never had a problem after that.
All the NP's of the era had the problem. NP261 (manual shift) and NP263 (electric shift) and the HD/XD suffixes

Now OP can stress about the rear output bearing on the 246 which was plastic-caged and only had a handful of rollers. There's an upgrade bearing.....or maybe they had employed it by '07 (but I doubt it)?

Also I don't think many retailers devote floor space to it these days but Valvoline makes a Transfer Case Fluid which meets AutoCrapII specs:

Back