Virgin DD PowerCool Plus & Distilled water

I recently did a coolant chemistry change to my 96 Prevost bus/motorhome, Prestone HD Command to DD PowerCool Plus. The PowerCool+ had a 2018 date. I purchased is from a national Detroit dealer back then.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...st-coolant-change.154283/page-32#post-6788051

Does this coolant have a shelf life?

I tried to pour a 50/50 mix of the coolant & the distilled water into the sample bottle (too much coolant).
Here's the virgin report:
What say you?
Virgin PowerCool+ h20 2-24.JPG

Yeah, the 59% shows leaning more coolant. Freeze point is excellent which is good for your motorhome travels. I don't know anything about coolant analysis though so this is very interesting. Other than the typical Potassium/Sodium additives we usually see. It looks like you're on top of it.

I recently did a coolant chemistry change to my 96 Prevost bus/motorhome, Prestone HD Command to DD PowerCool Plus. The PowerCool+ had a 2018 date. I purchased is from a national Detroit dealer back then.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...st-coolant-change.154283/page-32#post-6788051

Does this coolant have a shelf life?

I tried to pour a 50/50 mix of the coolant & the distilled water into the sample bottle (too much coolant).
Here's the virgin report:
What say you?
View attachment 203780
From what I know it looks good. We recommend 7 year shelf life on our coolants, for reference.

I did 5 dump and fills with distilled water since I was changing chemistry. On the sixth fill is when I put in the appropriate amount of DD Power Cool Plus concentrate. I made sure to shake each 1 gal container up good before pouring it in case it had separated/settled out.

Ok, here it is (sample #2) after 2 mths and 600 miles of use in my 1996 Detroit powered Prevost bus/motorhome.

As mentioned previously, I did 5 dump and refills in an attempt to get all the previous non-OAT chemistry out. Also, I guessed at getting the mix at 50% PowerCool+ and 50% distilled water.

Now I have a starting point with the OAT chemistry. I'll do annual samples to see what is what.

What say you?

96 Liberty PC+ 2024.JPG

Looks like you can use straight antifreeze for top offs at 47% antifreeze level. Did you use distilled water for flushing/drains or was that only used for fill/use?

Looks like you can use straight antifreeze for top offs at 47% antifreeze level.
Yes, I want to bring the concentration up. We drive the bus/mh to 10,000' above sea-level two times each year. My research indicates a concentration as high as 60% for high altitude ops. I'll drain a gallon or two out and replenish with 100% concentrate.
Did you use distilled water for flushing/drains or was that only used for fill/use?
Distilled

Yes, I want to bring the concentration up. We drive the bus/mh to 10,000' above sea-level two times each year. My research indicates a concentration as high as 60% for high altitude ops. I'll drain a gallon or two out and replenish with 100% concentrate.

Distilled
Good deal, you're on top of everything. Keep it up. :cool:

Back