Liqui Moly Viscoplus

Schaeffer Moly EP will bring it up about 1 grade at half a bottle and 2 grades w full bottle. It has additives in it and is not just plain thick oil. Or you can add the 20w50 or 15w40 to raise viscosity
I forgot to ask and I'm sure there's somewhere in this forum that people talk about it but the Molly EP from Schaefer's. What would be the recommendation for what application. What does it do over something like the Molly gin that they sell over in Europe or MOS2

Reactions: wlk
I use it in my 93 C1500 5.7l to reduce oil consumption and bc I tow my camper w it. I tried Lucas and it still burned oil but with the Moly EP it slowed to an negligible amount 5k oci at last check. I use QS HM blend 10w40 and 1 pint of the EP which turned it into a ~60grade oil which I run all year in PA, fires up in winter zero problems. The big thing isn't really the Moly itself, which is around 24ppm but the antimony it has in it which is 64ppm and combined is supposed to be very good AW synergists. It is about twice as thick as Lucas, vis at 100°c is 220. Read on some mustang forums it took care of BBQ ticks as well but idk don't own a 5.0 so no first hand exp.

Per Schaeffer:
Moly EP Oil Treatment also contains two proven frictional modifiers Micron Moly® and Schaeffer Mfg’s own proprietary additive Penetro® . These two proven frictional modifiers once plated, form a long lasting, slippery, tenacious lubricant film, which prevents the metal surfaces from coming into contact with each other. By preventing metal-to-metal contact, damaging frictional wear is reduced which results in reduced wear, increased engine life and lower maintenance costs.

Last edited:
I use this additive to replenish the viscosity index improvers in the semi-synthetic 0w40 oil I use which is prone to sheering down long before it has depleted the rest of its additives. It seems to work very well and unlike STP or Lucas stabilizer it uses high quality VII additives to increase the viscosity at operating temps while still retaining cold cranking benefits of the 0W, rather than just thickening up your oil's overall viscosity

Why not just use a better quality, full synthetic oil to begin with? You're most likely spending more this way, and getting less.

Pretty bad engine leaks on full synthetic, almost no leaks on semi synthetic. You're correct I'm spending more this way but it's all for a reason

It seems to work very well and unlike STP or Lucas stabilizer it uses high quality VII additives to increase the viscosity at operating temps while still retaining cold cranking benefits of the 0W, rather than just thickening up your oil's overall viscosity
Not the world’s most ringing endorsement to say something works better than STP or Lucas oil stabilizers, which are proven to be the automotive equivalent of elephant snot. They simply dilute the additive package and use low quality bright stock to achieve their thickening.

Also, it’s highly doubtful that after adding a different mixture to a 0w oil that it would actually retain a 0w rating, especially considering that after use even a straight 0w oil does not stay a 0w when tested (thanks, @kschachn!)… so, do you have some testing from LM or a third party that shows this to be true?

Pretty bad engine leaks on full synthetic, almost no leaks on semi synthetic. You're correct I'm spending more this way but it's all for a reason
What magical qualities do you think semi synthetic possesses that would cause this? Synthetics do not “cause” leaks. They may, however, clean off the accumulated junk on a seal that was already damaged that non-synthetics do not… are you saying that you prefer to leave accumulated deposits from subpar oils in your engine to “seal” leaks, but where they can also cause other problems?

Back