Liqui Moly Top Tec 6200 0W-20 VW MK7 GLI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Second UOA below and link to FF UOA for anyone curious.

1623041879501.jpg

Last edited:
Somewhat raised levels of Cu (and less so of Fe) on first fill and seem pretty normal on VAG engines, as well as still slightly elevated on second fill. I did change oil at 800, 2500 and 5000 mls, then every 5000-6000 mls since. Wear metals tend to be fairly low on EA888 3G engines after this wear-in period.

Third UOA below, car was tuned stage 1 about 500 miles ago. Same LM oil.

1638977694773.jpg

The mods are doing a real bang up job moving threads to their correct area....

You have added a bunch or torque to that EA888. I would look at a Euro 5W-30 at minimum if it were my car.
Car isn't tracked and oil temps haven't exceeded 210 F so far, but I will definitely keep an eye on it thanks.

Not sure why members don’t post them in the correct forum in the first place.
I started an account for solely thread to get data on here for others, didn't see there was a dedicated euro forum 🤷‍♂️

The MB m139 is making a bunch if torque and it is specced 0w20, its fine in a ea888

It appears MB recommends the thinnest viscosity appropriate for the use conditions which still have the appropriate approvals.

This means a very wide range of oil viscosities.

The VW EA888 did the same thing around the same year ('19) meaning recommending 0W-20 admittedly for fuel economy. The 0W-20 is a new recommendation for the EA888 that was not present prior. I'll take the 0W-20 as a compromise over being a benefit over the initial recommendation for the EA888.

I am open to being schooled here but I have not found someone who has recommended 0W-20 for a vehicle which with just a stage 1 tune picks up 75whp/100wtq. I have not heard of a case of a 0W-20 being recommended over a 0W-30, or 0W-40 for example in a case where the engine output has been increased by roughly 30%.

And as usual it's really not about the grade here but about the HT/HS. The VW 508 00 oils have a sufficiently high HT/HS to prevent excessive wear under most driving conditions. But on the other hand there is no real downside to an oil with a higher HT/HS which could also provide better wear protection under unusual circumstances or for engines that have been tuned. Physics matters.

for longer life a 10-30 or 5-30 in colder areas wherever you live, xxw20 for a 1/4 mpg + more wear your choice!!

It appears MB recommends the thinnest viscosity appropriate for the use conditions which still have the appropriate approvals.

This means a very wide range of oil viscosities.

The VW EA888 did the same thing around the same year ('19) meaning recommending 0W-20 admittedly for fuel economy. The 0W-20 is a new recommendation for the EA888 that was not present prior. I'll take the 0W-20 as a compromise over being a benefit over the initial recommendation for the EA888.

I am open to being schooled here but I have not found someone who has recommended 0W-20 for a vehicle which with just a stage 1 tune picks up 75whp/100wtq. I have not heard of a case of a 0W-20 being recommended over a 0W-30, or 0W-40 for example in a case where the engine output has been increased by roughly 30%.
The Gti has been specced 0w20 since 2019. I know this because I owned a Gti Rabbit when they launched.

Apr stage 1 tune has 351tq and 321 hp at the crank. [ +79 wheel tq pickup not 100 ]
The m139 has 382 hp at the crank and I guarantee that is rated low. They spec it at a 0w20 from the factory. Im fairly certain AMG knows more about motors than anyone.
I do agree that it is to meet fuel economy standards.
Being tuned a warranty doesnt matter any way so run whatever you want.
But, those 0w20s will be perfectly fine.

Edit to add oil choice out of warranty

Last edited:
The Gti has been specced 0w20 since 2019. I know this because I owned a Gti Rabbit when they launched.

Apr stage 1 tune has 351tq and 321 hp at the crank. [ +79 wheel tq pickup not 100 ]
The m139 has 382 hp at the crank and I guarantee that is rated low. They spec it at a 0w20 from the factory. Im fairly certain AMG knows more about motors than anyone.
I do agree that it is to meet fuel economy standards.
Being tuned a warranty doesnt matter any way so run whatever you want.
But, those 0w20s will be perfectly fine.

Edit to add oil choice out of warranty

Not to get into a back and forth but my numbers are accurate. Different tuners get different results. Having said that, I have no idea who the OP used to tune. Regardless, my opinion of using a higher viscosity on a tuned EA888 is very common in the community.

Not to get into a back and forth but my numbers are accurate. Different tuners get different results. Having said that, I have no idea who the OP used to tune. Regardless, my opinion of using a higher viscosity on a tuned EA888 is very common in the community.
And some that aren’t tuned. 504 00 oil is one of the choices.

I was just saying that using a 0w20 is entirely acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back