Liqui Moly MoS2 interesting sediment pics.

Mobil 1 has 0W-30 and 0W-50 racing oil, so why would they use the regular 0W-40 for racing?
Likely because of this:
Carries Porsche A40 approval.

Porsche does a massive amount of testing and co-development with Mobil and the 0w-40 carries Porsche A40, which is a very demanding spec. Porsche has likely determined that this oil is a perfectly suitable fit for these racing applications, so that's what they run.

Likely because of this:
What about Castrol and Shell oils that carry the A40 approval, wouldn't those be suitable?

Porsche does a massive amount of testing and co-development with Mobil and the 0w-40 carries Porsche A40, which is a very demanding spec. Porsche has likely determined that this oil is a perfectly suitable fit for these racing applications, so that's what they run.
I was thinking of racing in general, not just the Porsche Cup.

I found an interesting tidbit on the Mobil website in their racing oil section. So, it's Mobil 1 0W-40, 15W-40, and 5W-30. Looking closer at the 5W-30, it says it's Corvette Approved. And that's the regular grey bottle 5W-30, so I assume it's used in Corvette racing. Do you think it's better than the Extended Performance 5W-30? The Mobil 1 lineup is a bit confusing with so many products and non-linear hierarchies.

What about Castrol and Shell oils that carry the A40 approval, wouldn't those be suitable?
I'd assume so, but Mobil is Porsche's development partner (and GM's, and Mercedes AMG) so there was likely a lot more work behind the scenes with Mobil.
I was thinking of racing in general, not just the Porsche Cup.

I found an interesting tidbit on the Mobil website in their racing oil section. So, it's Mobil 1 0W-40, 15W-40, and 5W-30. Looking closer at the 5W-30, it says it's Corvette Approved. And that's the regular grey bottle 5W-30, so I assume it's used in Corvette racing. Do you think it's better than the Extended Performance 5W-30? The Mobil 1 lineup is a bit confusing with so many products and non-linear hierarchies.
The Corvette racing series has used both the 0w-40 and the 15w-50, and the 'vette used to say to run the 15w-50 for heavy track use. The 5w-30 was the "regular" oil and mild track day oil. Of course now they spec M1 ESP 0w-40 for the 'vette.

That section on the site, which I linked earlier in this thread, is the series of Mobil 1 products suitable for competition/racing use that you or I can readily find on the shelf and are of course totally appropriate for daily driver use as well. The race-specific oils that we discussed previous, the 0w-30 and 0w-50, are not approved for street use and why they are absent from that page, as they aren't trying to sell those products to you or I to put in our DD's that might see a track day here or there.

Are you sure? If so, then I apologize. I guess I didn't care enough to find out, there is nothing special about the Supercar version that I would seek it out.

Compare their specs and sds information, and you will see that there are some subtle differences. My intuition tells me that the SUPERCAR version is made to be a little bit better. Only Castrol knows what they had in mind with it.

Last edited:
Compare their specs and sds information, and you will see that there are some subtle differences. My intuition tells me that the SUPERCAR version is made to be a little bit better. Only Castrol knows what they had in mind with it.
Well I go by approvals and licenses mostly, I really can’t discern quality differences through PDS typical values and an SDS. Especially if they are subtle. But even if I did then I’d have to find a place to buy it, right? It doesn’t seem like a product that’s marketed in the US, the 60-grade maybe. But then I have no use for a 60-grade oil. Look at my sig, no supercars there 😁

I'd assume so, but Mobil is Porsche's development partner (and GM's, and Mercedes AMG) so there was likely a lot more work behind the scenes with Mobil.

The Corvette racing series has used both the 0w-40 and the 15w-50, and the 'vette used to say to run the 15w-50 for heavy track use. The 5w-30 was the "regular" oil and mild track day oil. Of course now they spec M1 ESP 0w-40 for the 'vette.

That section on the site, which I linked earlier in this thread, is the series of Mobil 1 products suitable for competition/racing use that you or I can readily find on the shelf and are of course totally appropriate for daily driver use as well. The race-specific oils that we discussed previous, the 0w-30 and 0w-50, are not approved for street use and why they are absent from that page, as they aren't trying to sell those products to you or I to put in our DD's that might see a track day here or there.
My bosses Super Snake pumps 800 HP and uses (recommended) Mobil 1 15W50 … sold all over …

Well I go by approvals and licenses mostly, I really can’t discern quality differences through PDS typical values and an SDS. Especially if they are subtle. But even if I did then I’d have to find a place to buy it, right? It doesn’t seem like a product that’s marketed in the US, the 60-grade maybe. But then I have no use for a 60-grade oil. Look at my sig, no supercars there 😁

The Toyondas in your signature sure have some mileage on them. Very reliable cars. It's very doubtful that a supercar could make it to that mileage, unless you very meticoulosly maintain it and spend the necessary money every time something breaks to fix it. Because of that, your own vehicles are supercars in their own right. Maybe they're not fancy, but they sure lasted you a long time.

My train of thought was about the Mobil 1 0W-40 used for racing. It's the same stuff that you can buy at every store, so very attainable. The discussion progressed to Catrol, and I was wondering if they're using off the shelf oil, or if they're oh-so-slightly cheating by using an improved oil for racing. That was all.

Exceptional low pourpoint suggests majority PAO. Low flashpoint and density, suggesting very thin base oil.
If I had to guess, I'd say fair to average Noack. Comes with MB229.5 and Porsche A40 approvals, so it has to
be a good oil that will serve you well, but overall it's still nothing actually special, no reason to pay a premium.

I think it's called nitpicking. 😂

Truth be told there are plenty of quality motor oils for every need and want.

To circle back around to the topic of this thread and my comment about SuperTech and sludge:
From I'm reading the hemi runs hotter than other engines, and there are accounts from owners who over time got sludge in them. They may have under-maintained them, or used a more budget oriented oil. There is nothing wrong with cheaper oil, however, for this particular application it might be a good idea to spend a few more dollars per oil change and put something more premium and higher performing than SuperTech. Mobil 1 5W-30 should do a good job in that engine. If it works for high performance Corvettes on the track, it should do fine in a daily driver.

I think it's called nitpicking. 😂

Truth be told there are plenty of quality motor oils for every need and want.

To circle back around to the topic of this thread and my comment about SuperTech and sludge:
From I'm reading the hemi runs hotter than other engines, and there are accounts from owners who over time got sludge in them. They may have under-maintained them, or used a more budget oriented oil. There is nothing wrong with cheaper oil, however, for this particular application it might be a good idea to spend a few more dollars per oil change and put something more premium and higher performing than SuperTech. Mobil 1 5W-30 should do a good job in that engine. If it works for high performance Corvettes on the track, it should do fine in a daily driver.
There isn't any sludge in those pictures. There is used oil and MoS2.

There isn't any sludge in those pictures. There is used oil and MoS2.

I know that, as it was previously covered.

My comment was about the OP's engine. It is a hot running engine, and from what I'm reading online, if not properly maintained, sludge can build up in the top portion of the engine and in the pan. So, it's a good idea to spend a few more bucks on a better oil. I doubt that a friction modifier type additive will help with that. Premium oils like Mobil 1 already have quality friction modifiers built into them. They also have quality anti oxidants and other chemical compounds that help with keeping sludge at bay, more so than budget oils like SuperTech. That's what I was talking about.

As to the MOS2, I will not further comment on it as I don't want to hurt anyone's sensibilities. Everyone should do with their vehicle as they see fit. I don't use it, never have, and never will.

Side note: I don't want to even attempt political correctness when it comes to additives or oil. I'm sure someone is always bound to feel oh-so-slightly ofended by something someone else says. It's an online forum, we're here to debate, and maybe have some fun in the process.

Exceptional low pourpoint suggests majority PAO. Low flashpoint and density, suggesting very thin base oil.
If I had to guess, I'd say fair to average Noack. Comes with MB229.5 and Porsche A40 approvals, so it has to
be a good oil that will serve you well, but overall it's still nothing actually special, no reason to pay a premium.

PAO has a low density across all viscosities, around 0.75kg/cm3. POE has a high density, around 1 kg/cm3. Mineral seems to sit in the middle

Low viscosity PAO has a poor flashpoint, but probably not as low as equal viscosity grp III, POE has high flashpoints and good fluidity at extreme low temperatures.

I think 0w-40 almost guarantees PAO oe POE use. The MSDS declares between 50 and 100% PAO, and under 9% of various mineral oils, including group III. Additive carriers I suspect

I know that, as it was previously covered.

My comment was about the OP's engine. It is a hot running engine, and from what I'm reading online, if not properly maintained, sludge can build up in the top portion of the engine and in the pan. So, it's a good idea to spend a few more bucks on a better oil. I doubt that a friction modifier type additive will help with that. Premium oils like Mobil 1 already have quality friction modifiers built into them. They also have quality anti oxidants and other chemical compounds that help with keeping sludge at bay, more so than budget oils like SuperTech. That's what I was talking about.

As to the MOS2, I will not further comment on it as I don't want to hurt anyone's sensibilities. Everyone should do with their vehicle as they see fit. I don't use it, never have, and never will.

Side note: I don't want to even attempt political correctness when it comes to additives or oil. I'm sure someone is always bound to feel oh-so-slightly ofended by something someone else says. It's an online forum, we're here to debate, and maybe have some fun in the process.
Do you have specific differences between M1 and ST or data that support your assertions that the ST doesn't have quality friction modifiers or anti oxidants? I have no idea TBH - I use ST in 2 of my low-mileage/low-use vehicles.

Do you have specific differences between M1 and ST or data that support your assertions that the ST doesn't have quality friction modifiers or anti oxidants? I have no idea TBH - I use ST in 2 of my low-mileage/low-use vehicles.

No, I'm going by price point and reputation. And, I am not putting SuperTech down. The OP has an engine than runs hotter than usual. It looks like that's how these hemis are built. I am assuming that since M1 5W-30 is approved for use in Corvette engines, and M1 advertises it on their racing page, it might be better at handling high heat than SuperTech. I think there is like a $6 difference between them. Don't buy the MOS2 and you more than made up for the price difference. Anything against my advice?

I wonder what MOS2 or graphite, or WS2 does to the HTHS viscosity. Afterall, they are used because they shear easy, layer by layer. Wouldn't surprise me if HTHS ends up lower. It would explain the claimed efficiency benefits

Back