Liqui Moly MoS2 interesting sediment pics.

In either instance, it's from the product and clearly not desirable. If the product has particles large enough to get filtered out, that's loading up the filter and that's a problem. If the product is separating and settling out in an area of high flow (the filter) that's also a problem.
I emailed the company years ago when I started using 2009. It’s largest particle is 10 times smaller that the pores on an oil filter. None gets filtered out.

I emailed the company years ago when I started using 2009. It’s largest particle is 10 times smaller that the pores on an oil filter. None gets filtered out.

But it clearly settled out in the oil filter. So even if the filter isn't capturing it, it's obviously falling out in areas of low flow and sitting there.

For gosh sakes are we still debating this?? MoS2 works and works well, so what? Some of it will settle out either in your pan and/or oil filter on occasion! Does it hurt anything? NO!

You anti-addy guys crack me up using this as another reason to thing off-the-shelf oils are just perfect and have your engine reliability in mind. :) :)

I've used MoS2 in every car I own with absolutely no ill side effects, mostly smoother running, less valvetrain noise, and better fuel economy but if that "black residue" bothers you that much then don't use it!

For gosh sakes are we still debating this?? MoS2 works and works well, so what? Some of it will settle out either in your pan and/or oil filter on occasion! Does it hurt anything? NO!

You anti-addy guys crack me up using this as another reason to thing off-the-shelf oils are just perfect and have your engine reliability in mind. :) :)

I've used MoS2 in every car I own with absolutely no ill side effects, mostly smoother running, less valvetrain noise, and better fuel economy but if that "black residue" bothers you that much then don't use it!
The things of BITOG nightmares....hahahaha 🤣 🤣 🤣
20210602_155506.jpg

I just pulled the pan on an engine with 600,000 miles and 20+ years. Spotless, no "sludge" with mos2 from almost the very beginning running 10,000 mile oci. pulled to reseal pan no other issues. pics were posted on this site a few weeks ago.
If you have sludge in the filter, the mos2 will also be there making it look like "mos2 sludge" but really it's just sludge coated with reflective mos2 particles. Ive seen engines with sludge in the pan and valve covers in 20,000 miles, it can't be that uncommon.

I just pulled the pan on an engine with 600,000 miles and 20+ years. Spotless, no "sludge" with mos2 from almost the very beginning running 10,000 mile oci. pulled to reseal pan no other issues. pics were posted on this site a few weeks ago.
If you have sludge in the filter, the mos2 will also be there making it look like "mos2 sludge" but really it's just sludge coated with reflective mos2 particles. Ive seen engines with sludge in the pan and valve covers in 20,000 miles, it can't be that uncommon.
Of course, b/c it's fine to use and doesn't cause all this drama that folks talk about. If you run MoS2 in your oil, of course you will see MoS2 residue with the oil left behind....

add 1 cup to oil, and the engine will spin forever, no need to refuel. :p
zero frikshun, mos2 is too muh oldskool...
Liquimoly's Molygen oils take care of this - has tungsten in it.

Just wondering if the LM additives like Ceratec and MoS2 are designed to be used only in LM motor oils where they work in a synergistic manner but should not be used in other brands of oil due to additive clash?

Just wondering if the LM additives like Ceratec and MoS2 are designed to be used only in LM motor oils where they work in a synergistic manner but should not be used in other brands of oil due to additive clash?
Do they say that on the container or on their PDS/website? If that were true then it would be quite a liability issue for the company.

The weird thing for me is why a motor oil blender would sell additives (for their own oil) in the first place. If they improve the oil chemistry why not add them to your regular oil lineup?

According to LM - they will work with any oils. Caveat - their Molygen oils....not supposed to run Ceratec with that one so clearly there is some issue with some oils. Molygen contains a chemical friction modifier (tungsten/moly/boron) so this is likely why as the Ceratec is moly/boron and I suppose at some point you go too far with it. Can always email them and ask about your specific situation. Edit. They also say you can run MoS2 with Molygen...not really sure there on why the Ceratec is an issue.

Last edited:
According to LM - they will work with any oils. Caveat - their Molygen oils....not supposed to run Ceratec with that one so clearly there is some issue with some oils. Molygen contains a chemical friction modifier (tungsten/moly/boron) so this is likely why as the Ceratec is moly/boron and I suppose at some point you go to far with it. Can always email them and ask about your specific situation.
The wording I see on the PDS is that Molygen is "mixable with most engine oils" but they don't give any specifics.

Which is another odd thing because they also say that it is API SP (under Approvals and also on the API EOLCS) which cannot be true if it fails ASTM D6922. I don't think API licensing allows for an oil to only pass for "most" oils.

Or perhaps the problem isn't with miscibility but instead some other issue.

I just put a bottle and a half in my new to me Mercedes 3.5. It was black and felt gritty. It didn't say to but I shook it up. Made me question my decision. It went into Liquimoly oil.
It's funny that the can doesn't say "shake well" because the PDS and web site do.

I ran a bottle of Liqui Moly MoS2 #2009 along with Supertech synthetic 5w30 and a Napa gold filter in my 2019 Ram 1500 classic hemi for 5300 miles. I accumulated these miles in just shy of 10 weeks. The truck currently has 20660 miles on the ticker.

I know there's plenty of MoS2 threads on here, some with people's experiences with it leaving some type of material or substance behind. I knew this going into it, but you can now count me as one who experienced finding something.

It's a graphite like material left behind on the dirty side of the oil filter. The oil filter on hemi Rams sits with the closed end down, so it's a perfect environment for material to settle.

As you can see from the pics, the material doesn't stick, it will run. If you wipe it on your finger, it doesn't stain, it wipes off with one swipe. The filter element itself looked normal to me. What drained from the truck was a bit dark, but not horrible. I drained it hot.

I can't say what I found is harmful and I doubt it is given how long this product has been on the market. Regardless, given what I found, I probably won't be using it again. I know I personally change oil to prevent stuff that looks like this.

ltuJbs2l.jpg

bK1U0yul.jpg

OXDqzKOl.jpg

GdUUmNRl.jpg

R38mLrZl.jpg

cuN7hbQl.jpg

sUu5HpVl.jpg

SuperTech is low budget oil. It's meant to sell for cheap, so it's made cheap. Someone makes it for Wally World, but I can't recall who. The manufacturer has to make a profit, Wally World has to make the most profit, and the customer gets it for what, $15? It's not hard to see how cheap oil that barely qulifies as synthetic can sludge up. Add to that the $15 or $16 you spend for each bottle of additive, and you are not making any progress. For the same money you can get Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-20 and for another $8 a Fram Ultra oil filter which is one of the best in the industry. Mobil 1 makes the best motor oil in my opinion, as they made synthetic oil mainstream. Just a thought. At the end of the day you should do as you wish as it is your vehicle and money to spend. I'm just giving you my two cents because I found this discussion very interesting.

Back