Linux Mint 18 update question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
I removed FF using the terminal, why do I keep getting FF related updates?

RZ0IIqA.png

Edit - Just realized I posted this in the wrong section.
spankme2.gif

root@ubu:~# dpkg --list | grep firefox
ii firefox 49.0.2+build2-0ubuntu0.16.04.2 amd64 Safe and easy web browser from Mozilla
ii firefox-locale-en 49.0.2+build2-0ubuntu0.16.04.2 amd64 English language pack for Firefox
ii unity-scope-firefoxbookmarks 0.1+13.10.20130809.1-0ubuntu1 all Firefox bookmarks scope for Unity

This is an ubuntu install, but firefox has a separate language pkg. Notice it says 'english language' in your window

You will need to remove that too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
root@ubu:~# dpkg --list | grep firefox
ii firefox 49.0.2+build2-0ubuntu0.16.04.2 amd64 Safe and easy web browser from Mozilla
ii firefox-locale-en 49.0.2+build2-0ubuntu0.16.04.2 amd64 English language pack for Firefox
ii unity-scope-firefoxbookmarks 0.1+13.10.20130809.1-0ubuntu1 all Firefox bookmarks scope for Unity

This is an ubuntu install, but firefox has a separate language pkg. Notice it says 'english language' in your window

You will need to remove that too.

I tried this -

sudo apt-get --purge autoremove firefox

I think that took care of it. Thanks!

Well sudo apt-get --purge autoremove firefox didn't work, language pkg is still popping up.

you need to remove firefox-locale-en; the updates aren't for firefox, they are for the language pack.

Run this
Quote:

sudo dpkg --list | grep firefox

Last edited:
Probably best to sudo dpkg --remove firefox-locale-en

Be forwarned that if you intended on managing software on your machine this way, many of the tools assume understanding of package management, dependencies etc and may generate warnings and offer override options. The overrides are provided assuming the user is fully aware of the ramifications. The overrides are there for specific reasons, they aren't there as a 'suggestion' on what to do.

Doesn't LM have a software management tool? Why can't firefox be removed there?

Last edited:
So something dawned on me; you are probably thinking "firefox" is a program that is installed on your computer; it is but in this context (dpkg), it is a package (collection of files). Any given program you choose to run is a collection of packages on the computer, some of which depend on others. Some programs require the installation of many packages. So if you're thinking removing firefox will remove everything that was installed to run firefox, it won't; that is just one package called firefox you are removing.

I guess I'll just leave it alone, everything is working okay so no reason to fix something that isn't broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back