Ubiquiti/Unifi experts, come in!

Looking for an answer to a specific question I have about meshing several Unifi APs together.

For context, I’m mildly familiar with Unifi products. Our place of worship has a USG, which feeds into a Unifi PoE switch, which feeds, amongst other connected devices, a single Unifi AP. No meshing is required here (single AP), and this system uses a controller that is remotely installed. I installed and programmed the hardware here.

For my house, I’d like to use the mesh capability of the Unifi APs, but don’t need the added security or functions that the USG provides. Assuming that I install the controller on one of my local PCs, and keep my existing router (for routing only, no wifi), I THINK I can connect the APs to my network and configure them to mesh via the local controller. Once it is set up, I DO NOT have to keep the controller powered on. Is this correct? Finding an answer to this online is tricky, because I’m usually pointed in the direction of those who want to set up standalone APs. I know this can be done. I want the mesh feature, and I’ll have the controller locally, just not running all the time. Just periodically for updates. Will this work?

Once it is set up, I DO NOT have to keep the controller powered on. Is this correct?
You are correct, you don't have to keep the controller running all the time.

Mesh, if you go this route instead of ethernet cable home-runs back to the PoE switch, just keep the tree as shallow as possible. Every hop away from the root doubles the latency and halves the throughput.

That was my experience. I am not an expert user, but I set up 3 Unifi APs at our church building using the controller software on a laptop that is powered off and barely ever used…

I'd get unifi express and replace current router. Add a cheap gigabit switch if needed

But as mentioned it should work either way.
1000011073.jpg

You are correct, you don't have to keep the controller running all the time.

Mesh, if you go this route instead of ethernet cable home-runs back to the PoE switch, just keep the tree as shallow as possible. Every hop away from the root doubles the latency and halves the throughput.
My topology will be: Unifi USG -> 8 port gigabit switch -> all hardwired devices including hardwired APs (using PoE injectors).

Last edited:
There's been a lot of marketing hype around the word "mesh". Technically a mesh is a back-haul technique so that the APs do not need a wired connection to the network. It's not part of the user's connection to an AP.

Many "mesh" systems in a box promote enhanced roaming of users as they physically move and connect to a different AP. This feature is actually not related to mesh technology at all.

Definitely buy a PoE switch instead of a mess of injectors. The new ac and 6 models can accept standard IEEE 802.3af PoE from any switch.

There's been a lot of marketing hype around the word "mesh". Technically a mesh is a back-haul technique so that the APs do not need a wired connection to the network. It's not part of the user's connection to an AP.

Many "mesh" systems in a box promote enhanced roaming of users as they physically move and connect to a different AP. This feature is actually not related to mesh technology at all.

Definitely buy a PoE switch instead of a mess of injectors. The new ac and 6 models can accept standard IEEE 802.3af PoE from any switch.
I’ll only have two APs on my system (tops, might not even need the second one), and given my current hardware it’ll be easier to just use the injectors that come with them. What’s the downside of using injectors vs a PoE switch? Other than the switch being a cleaner install.

PoE injectors are a PITA no matter if you have 1 or 111. Just another point of possible failure. Highly recommend a PoE switch, SO MUCH more reliable! (been there, done that, got the shirt)

I would suggest some kind of Unifi router. Best option would be a Unifi Express for home and a Unifi UDM Pro for a church or small business. I second Unifi POE switches rather than POE injectors. If you have a Comcast combo modem/router/WIFI put it in bridge mode.

You really want a Unifi controller connected all the time so alerts can be logged. And the days of a Unifi Cloud Key are over. It should hopefully be included in the UDM Pro or similar.

Unifi mesh is fine but better to connect everything via network cables.

I would suggest some kind of Unifi router. Best option would be a Unifi Express for home and a Unifi UDM Pro for a church or small business. I second Unifi POE switches rather than POE injectors. If you have a Comcast combo modem/router/WIFI put it in bridge mode.

You really want a Unifi controller connected all the time so alerts can be logged. And the days of a Unifi Cloud Key are over. It should hopefully be included in the UDM Pro or similar.

Unifi mesh is fine but better to connect everything via network cables.
Yeah, you don't need a Cloud Key with the UDM.

Back