Lighting Advice - This May Start a War...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me begin by saying that I have no bias in this matter, and am genuinely seeking advice, input, and tips. I am debating about lighting for my home. I understand how all types of bulbs physically work, incandescent, halogen, compact flourescent, and led. I currently have a mix of all of these bulbs in my house. I also understand that once my current stock of incandescent bulbs run out (6 bulbs), I will not be able to buy more. I am pretty sure I know the cost/ROI on each bulb type, so I don't feel I need help in that department.

I know incandescent bulbs produce more heat than light, and are the most inefficient ($/kwh). Therefore I am using these in my outdoor applications in the winter (because cfls don't like the cold).

I do not know much about led or halogen bulbs. I am mostly seeking input and advice about these types.

I am somewhat perplexed about the effects and problems with all of these bulbs though:

Incandescents were easy, they made more heat than light, didn't last long, but were reliable with no other problems.

Halogens (to me) seem equally reliable as incandescents, with the same problems, although slightly more efficient.

Cfls seem to be the most problematic. They don't produce the same amount of light (close, but not the same) as their "equivalent" rating. They take a few minutes to reach the proper light output, especially in the cold, and seem to cause "health problems" (based on some quick research). I know cfl bulbs contain mercury, and emit UV rays, especially when the protective coating (the white frosting) is not applied correctly. As a side note, while none of the cfls in my house have this issue, some of the cfls my mom owns are yellowing. Meaning the white base that the glass attaches to is no longer white. W t f is this?

Leds seem to be the ultimate answer to the perfect light. That is, until cost comes into the equation. I am unaware of any problems with leds (if there are any, please enlighten me). The ones I have recently installed (recessed in the kitchen, with dimmer) are absolutely fantastic, minus the $50 price tag for just four lights (and that was a steal for the type I bought).

So here are my questions:

1. Is there any reason other than cost why I shouldn't convert to leds?

2. Should I be concerned with cfls?

3. What is this yellowing I am seeing on cfls?

4. Should I continue with my current plan of using incandescent/halogen bulbs in the winter (outdoors)? Or would leds be the answer here?

5. Can someone shed some light on halogen and led problems/inefficiencies, if any?

Thanks for reading the novel, and thanks in advance for any input.

Don't over think it. Do what makes you comfortable. Environmentally incandescent lights make little sense. But if they are not used frequently replacing them may not be environmentally economical. Like I will not replace my incandescent lights in the basement. Those that are used frequently are cfl's or flourescents.

I switched everything inside our home and most of the bulbs outside our home over to LED over 2 years ago. We have a fairly large home with a lot of lighting, and the impact on our electric bill was noticeable.

CFLs were pathetic, and I wouldn't use them if I were given them. The quality of light is poor and in many conditions they don't last anywhere close to the estimated service life.

The price of LEDs has dropped so that incandescent bulbs are no longer worth purchasing unless it's for an area that sees very little use.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I switched everything inside our home and most of the bulbs outside our home over to LED over 2 years ago.
How have these held up? Performance in the cold? Heat? Acceptable light output?

many people still don't trust the hype, caused by the cfl hype when they came out - last 10 years and save millions--- yeah sure,
I feel that way about LEDs, whats next after leds??
, RF Ozone lights? I hear those are even better than LEDs and you can leave them (each has its own serial number) to your children in your will.

I have some CREE LEDs as well. My state subsidizes them every January; they run out of funding about a week into the sale so I stock up. This year I got 60 watt equivs for $1.97 each.

I'm picky with lighting, get migraines from computer screen flicker, etc. These CREE bulbs are the cat's meow. They have appropriate anti-flicker circuitry and take 1/2 second to go out when you kill the power.

One thing to look for in lighting shopping is "color rendition index". 100 is perfect, incandescent does this. A bad CRI makes reds look dull. Reflect a light bulb on a CD and you'll see a perfect rainbow; reflect a CFL and you'll see a red, green, and blue circle. The other colors are "missing". I hate cheap "warm tone" CFLs as the color they give off I can only describe as tan/orange. Being cheap, they're the type most cheap people pick up and are bad ambassadors for the bulb type.

I have a 40 watt equivalent LED on my porch, it's brighter than a "60 watt" CFL in the cold, which is most of the time.

The only downside I have encountered with (dimmable) LED bulbs is they can't dim as much or well as an incandescent light.

I have an LED on my screen porch where I keep my woodstove's wood supply and used daily at all temps as low as -15F and daily. Instant bright light!

LED do produce some heat and if fixture cannot dissipate heat well it can lead to less life. You will notice some packages note they work in enclosed fixtures better or not.

Last edited:
I understand not using incandescent lighting inside in the summer months...but what about the winter? If I am already paying to heat my house, what does it matter if some (or most) of the energy is being turned into heat as long as it is inside my home I am already paying to heat. Of course if you have natural gas heating, it will be slightly more expensive energy source, but if you have electric heat...there should be no difference. Thoughts?

Originally Posted By: DriveHard
I understand not using incandescent lighting inside in the summer months...but what about the winter? If I am already paying to heat my house, what does it matter if some (or most) of the energy is being turned into heat as long as it is inside my home I am already paying to heat. Of course if you have natural gas heating, it will be slightly more expensive energy source, but if you have electric heat...there should be no difference. Thoughts?

Not sure if troll...

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I have some CREE LEDs as well. My state subsidizes them every January; they run out of funding about a week into the sale so I stock up. This year I got 60 watt equivs for $1.97 each.

I'm picky with lighting, get migraines from computer screen flicker, etc. These CREE bulbs are the cat's meow. They have appropriate anti-flicker circuitry and take 1/2 second to go out when you kill the power.

One thing to look for in lighting shopping is "color rendition index". 100 is perfect, incandescent does this. A bad CRI makes reds look dull. Reflect a light bulb on a CD and you'll see a perfect rainbow; reflect a CFL and you'll see a red, green, and blue circle. The other colors are "missing". I hate cheap "warm tone" CFLs as the color they give off I can only describe as tan/orange. Being cheap, they're the type most cheap people pick up and are bad ambassadors for the bulb type.

I have a 40 watt equivalent LED on my porch, it's brighter than a "60 watt" CFL in the cold, which is most of the time.

I did something similar to what PopRivot did...switched a large number of bulbs over to CFL & LED. I have few CFL left as I experienced the same lack of longevity and performance that others have stated.

I quoted eljefino as I agree with the comments on CREE led bulbs. I have at least a dozen and half in my house for a year to 2 years now. They aint cheap around my parts!! $9 for a regular and $19 for a can light bulb. I hope they last as long as they claim.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer

Not sure if troll...
Sounds like a valid theory to me.

But speaking of lighting. I've been thinking of getting a couple gas lights.
92BBB4FF-CC89-44DF-8F6B-8F755E971AD8.png

http://www.bevolo.com/index

Last edited:
I have completely switched to LED inside my house and never going back to incandescent/halogen/cfl's again.

Now I'm working on the outside and replacing the various halogens/HPS and one mercury vapor light for LED's. I'm doing a little more research on the outside lighting. I've read that the LED dawn to dusk street lighst can be a little more problematic and you get exactly what you pay for. Looks like I'll just replace with better quality/expensive units as I can afford for the outside.

I switched over completely to LED.

I did it because it was dirt cheap, like 6-7$ a bulb.

I can light my entire condo, even rooms I am not in, for well under the power use of one 100W Incandescent bulb.

So now when I am home, I use 3 rooms max, and leave all the lights on, so it is like 18 Watts I use.

No more clicking lights on and off like a crazy person everytime I enter and leave a room.

Light over the oven stays on until I go to bed.

Future is now lol.

I dont think you can go wrong with LED's. I am still using the last of my old school bulbs and moving into a house soon. I will be using all LED's where possible. Maybe a heightened cost up front but lower over a few years.

Buy Cree LED's and be done with it.

Cree also makes the connect bulbs you can control with your phone, which is cool.

I have my condo all LED's and just leave the rooms I'm using on now. According to my electric company they calculate I use about $15 a month towards lighting.

No more switching lights on and off as I come and go.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer

Not sure if troll...
Sounds like a valid theory to me.

But speaking of lighting. I've been thinking of getting a couple gas lights.
92BBB4FF-CC89-44DF-8F6B-8F755E971AD8.png

http://www.bevolo.com/index

Nice those would be the cats meow on a big old colonial. I'd put them next to the front door.

I bought two GE brand Made in China LEDS for our kitchen track lights to replace the halogens and one of them flickered from day one....not going back to those again!

Originally Posted By: Falken
I switched over completely to LED.

I did it because it was dirt cheap, like 6-7$ a bulb.

I can light my entire condo, even rooms I am not in, for well under the power use of one 100W Incandescent bulb.

So now when I am home, I use 3 rooms max, and leave all the lights on, so it is like 18 Watts I use.

No more clicking lights on and off like a crazy person everytime I enter and leave a room.

Light over the oven stays on until I go to bed.

Future is now lol.

I have CFL and LED bulbs. As a crazy person, I still turn off lights everytime I leave a room.
smirk.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back