Life Expectancy of PYB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 99Saturn
I think there are many Saturn owners still doing short runs with the hope of keeping rings from getting (more) gummed up and worsening or beginning the consumption.

Personally, I have extremely high consumption (1 qt./500 miles) and have read or been told numerous times that at that rate of consumption, there is always fresh oil, and therefore no reason to change it/should stretch out the run. However, it always makes me wondering what the added contamination level is in the oil from all that burning. I don't have a good answer but since once the oil consumption begins on a Saturn it doesn't seem reversible, IMO there is still something to be said for being conservative with the OCI.

That said, the engines do put up with a lot of abuse. I've burnt the same amount for the last 70K and (fingers crossed) my SL2 doesn't show signs of quitting yet.

Exactly. I have had my Saturn over 10 years. The old wisdom at Saturnfans was to run Mobil 1 and not go past 5,000. My 85,000 mile engine is at a quart per 1,000 and oil is staying pretty clean with cheap filters. I am thinking I can do 5,000 mile OCI's with good oil. My body says less oil changes are better also.

Originally Posted By: MrMeeks
I've used RESTORE oil additve with good results to slow oil cons umption.5kmi. is good for pyb

DON'T USE RESTORE IN ANY ENGINE YOU WANT TO KEEP.

Originally Posted By: Turk
Andy,

I have 2 Saturns (see Sig.) and had another. The 2000 UOA above is mine.

If you want to keep it a long time (like me):

It's a long story, but in short..... Use a quality oil with a high Flashpoint/HTHS number to help keep the coking reduced around the piston rings, especially the bottom one as it does not have oil weep holes drilled in them!!

PYB is very good.

Go to Saturnfans . com & look around the S-Series General & S-Series Tech. TONS!! of info there. Follow the S-Series Owners Checklist thread on top of the S-Series Forum for a fantastically running car.

"OldNuc" will be your friend of friends. Good luck & keep in touch.

Thanks Turk. I have seen your thread mentioned above. I don't know what that one guy's problem is. Sounds like he has an inferiority complex and needs to always make himself look more knowledgeable and important than everybody else. Anyway, I did learn some things from that thread. I appreciate you putting up with all the abuse and continue posting about your experience.

I am a member of saturnfans and have picked their brains on issues many times. Yes, OldNuc is one of the more knowledgeable members. I have learned alot from his posts. I posted my question about PYB here instead of on saturnfans because this is specifically an oil site and I knew that there are some Saturn owners here, so you guys provide the best of both worlds.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I appreciate your help. I have definitely decided to go with the PYB. If the UOA on my current fill of PP comes back pretty clean (little fuel dilution, etc) then I will take the PYB to 6K and do another UOA to make sure there is still plenty of life left in the oil. If that one comes back looking good then I will extend to 7K to 7.5K.

I will revisit the idea of perhaps going to a HM oil at a later date. If the oil consumption goes up then I will definitely go with that option.

Again, thanks to everyone for your input.

Why not go with the Pennzoil HM. It looks about like PYB on paper. I had a small oil leak and since running it my leak stopped completely.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
Why not go with the Pennzoil HM. It looks about like PYB on paper. I had a small oil leak and since running it my leak stopped completely.

I did consider a HM oil before settling on PYB. My thought process for not going with it yet was that I didn't want to go to a HM oil too soon, considering I expect my engine to last another 150K miles or more. I know that HM oils work on the seals and I was afraid the conditioners would eventually wear out the seals. On doing more research I am finding that that isn't necessarily the case, so I may go with a HM oil yet. I keep going back and forth. It will be another week or so before I change the oil because I am running a bottle of Techron in my gas right now. So I have a few days to make a final decision.

Glad you're at Saturnfans, thought you were. I am as well (have the new Red Hot...)
smile.gif

With our engines (piston rings & hypereutectic pistons), I personally won't go over 5k on quality oil in these, possibly 10k on the high-end oils. Especially if you're going to keep it a long time. They also shear oil down easily. The AC Delco oil (a darn good oil) sheared like crazy, well into a 20w. Penn. Ultra held up though...

Keep it full of oil, PCV cleaned, NGK Plugs, etc. & you should make it really last.

Glad you're at Saturnfans, thought you were. I am as well (have the new Red Hot...)
smile.gif

With our engines (piston rings & hypereutectic pistons), I personally won't go over 5k on quality oil in these, possibly 10k on the high-end oils. Especially if you're going to keep it a long time. They also shear oil down easily. The AC Delco oil (a darn good oil) sheared like crazy, well into a 20w. Penn. Ultra held up though...

Keep it full of oil, PCV cleaned, NGK Plugs, etc. & you should make it really last.

I remember your thread about "Red Bull." That car is a beauty. Great find!

I have enough sets of NGK plugs to last the car the rest of its life (and maybe then some), thanks to Rock Auto. The PCV is still good. I check it fairly often and keep it cleaned. I am interested in the fixed orifice PCV but I still have one more new PCV in my garage waiting to be used. I stocked up on a lot of things when I found out Saturn was going to be dropped from the GM lineup.

The shame of it is that Saturn would probably have been doing extremely well in the "down" economy of the last several years, if only GM had kept their mitts off of it. I sure wish Roger Pennske would have bought the dealerships. Of course, then the problem of who would manufacture the vehicles, and to what specifications, would have had to be dealt with. Oh, well. I'll just enjoy mine for as long as I can, and maybe pickup an "easily used" one after that, if there are any decent ones left after I run mine into the ground, hopefully not for a few hundred thousand miles from now.

It felt a little strange writing the thread about my declining fuel economy. It's not a huge decline but it's enough to bother me. I'm averaging about 35 MPG combined driving, down from 39. I literally laugh out loud sometimes when I see a commercial bragging about a car getting 30 MPG highway.

Last edited:
I wish I wouldda bought one new
frown.gif

We'll keep them going for a long time doing the right things.

I just changed out the original PS Fluid & put in Amsoil ATF. Will drain the Manual Trans Fluid & put in Amsoil ATF today. Doin' my part!!
thumbsup2.gif

Back to the oil though... I wouldn't go too long without doing a UOA to see what's happening.
thumbsup2.gif

PYB is going into my Red Hot this weekend.

I wish I wouldda bought one new
frown.gif

We'll keep them going for a long time doing the right things.

I just changed out the original PS Fluid & put in Amsoil ATF. Will drain the Manual Trans Fluid & put in Amsoil ATF today. Doin' my part!!
thumbsup2.gif

Back to the oil though... I wouldn't go too long without doing a UOA to see what's happening.
thumbsup2.gif

PYB is going into my Red Hot this weekend.

Every few years I bring out the ol' turkey baster and siphon out the old PS and break fluids and replace with new. Also in 2009 I dumped the old manual trans fluid and put in Amsoil Torque Drive (another find from OldNuc).

I plan on keeping this car running well into the next decade and I'm doing everything I can to make that happen.

Which brings me to my next question for everybody. I have been doing some research on HM oils and I am getting conflicting information on how well the seal conditioners work over the course of the life of a car. I have seen some claims that they eventually cause the seals to wear out. Has this happened to anybody here? Just doing my due diligence before deciding on which oil go with when I change it next week - PYB or Pennzoil HM.

OK, I have my next oil change figured out. I'm going to pick up a quart of MMO and a few quarts of PYB 10W-40 (since the MMO will thin out the oil a bit) and I'm going to add the MMO to my next change, which I will do this coming weekend. After running that combo for several hundred miles I'm going to change it out with Pennzoil HM. I'm anxious to see if the cleaning cycle with MMO followed by the HM oil will help with my oil consumption.

Napa carries a product called motor oil saver. It will stop any gasket deficiencies. Mos2 has helped consumption for some members here. Its cheap. Try it out.
As far as mmo helping consumption at first its going to increase consumption until the new oil puts an anti-wear layer down.
I love mmo. Great stuff.

OK, it's a done deal. I changed my oil today, going with a mix of 1 1/2 qts of PYB 10W-30, 1 1/2 qts of PYB 10W-40 and a quart of MMO. I'll run that for about 500 miles and see if it has any positive effect. If I think it might benefit from doing it again, I already have enough leftover oil from these jugs to do a repeat performance.

Hi sl1driver, for a 13 year old car with issues of oil consumption, we recommend using our Pennzoil High Mileage 10W-30 motor oil. It has additional seal conditioners and thicker base oil to revitalize worn seals and slow down the oil consumption. It also has additional wear additive to help prevent future wear. – The Pennzoil Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back