Life Expectancy in the USA, Formula - you calculate from your present age, not your birth age.

Our next door neighbor died on Christmas morning, he was 99.5 year old, still drove his car, lived alone and took up kayaking last summer at his cottage. He was using a leaf blower on his roof, walking up there without assistance until he was 94. Keep doing or prepare for never doing.
Ohhhh do I believe that!

It's a very interesting table and appears almost unbelievable. I find it difficult to believe if a person makes it to 67 you still have 19 years left. My buddies sure do not seem to make it that long. I hope the table is correct although at the end of the day it is all about how healthy you are and what cards you were dealt.

A multi billion dollar insurance business runs on those tables. Also, there are certain groups that do better than other groups. It wouldn’t be right to list them all on this forum, but let’s say you have low stress job with a company that has a stellar health plan, and workplace accidents do not occur. Your odds of not being in that half that die by 81 are much better. Those life insurance companies have multiple pages of stuff to fill in. They are doing an in-depth adjustment on the numbers. Pay attention to the things they ask because it contains the secret to living longer! ;)

It's a very interesting table and appears almost unbelievable. I find it difficult to believe if a person makes it to 67 you still have 19 years left. My buddies sure do not seem to make it that long. I hope the table is correct although at the end of the day it is all about how healthy you are and what cards you were dealt.
Correction. Half of you and your cohorts have 19 years left. The other half will die before 19 years.

Our next door neighbor died on Christmas morning, he was 99.5 year old, still drove his car, lived alone and took up kayaking last summer at his cottage. He was using a leaf blower on his roof, walking up there without assistance until he was 94. Keep doing or prepare for never doing.
My uncle turns 100 in March. Fingers crossed. He lives in an assisted living complex, has a living room and bedroom, and small kitchen. He makes his own breakfast and has lunch and supper at the complex. He golfed his age for a while during his life. Not everyone is going to be that kayaking grampa, but keep trying. On the flip side of the healthy grampa are the folks in poor health who try staying in their own home but really can’t. For instance, not everyone’s wife is made to be Florence Nightingale. Sometimes the caregiver is worked to death and dies before the patient.

Last edited:
It's a very interesting table and appears almost unbelievable. I find it difficult to believe if a person makes it to 67 you still have 19 years left. .
Well, let’s word that a little different.
If you look at the chart at age 67, the new median age in which you will live to increases by 16.67 years for a male.

So safe to say, instead of life expectancy with the median of around 80 years old, if you live to 67, the new median age becomes 84.
One must keep in mind that is the median age so that means for a male who’s 67 years old if you’re still alive, half of those 67 year olds will live longer than 84 years and half will live less than 84 years.

Then, if you are a lucky one to make it to 84 years old that means your new median age life expectancy moves up to just over 90 years old. That means half the males in your age group will die before 90 years old and the other half will live for more than 90 years.

The table is going to be the most accurate that you’re going to get maybe in the world. After all each death is reported to the Social Security administration and the checks stop.

Last edited:
The idea that if you are 67 you can expect to live to 83 is ok. But now that you have made it to 83, what changed all of a sudden such that you are expected to live to 90? Why don't they say you are expected to live to 90 back when you are 67?
As others have said, it's not directly linear.

All deaths make up the averages of 79 or whatever. That includes lots of youthful deaths, car accidents, suicides, dangerous jobs, violence, illegal behaviors, lethal social viruses, etc.

At 83, all the infant deaths are removed. As are the car accidents, I presume at 83 one isn't really on the road at all or much. All the dangerous professions (lumberjack, crab fishermen, police, fire, military, etc.) are removed. Suicides are almost entirely removed. Illegal drugs, violence, etc. all entirely removed. A 83 year old has made it thru all the dangers, presumably mostly healthy and not prone to the Darwin that got everyone 60 and younger.

I don't like the above method of viewing lifespan. Ex: if you live to 65, you stand a good chance of living to 80.

We can state it another way. Men stand a 20-30% chance of dying before 65 (United States used to be 23%, is now 25%) , and once age 65, a 50% chance of dying within the next 17 years. Quite frankly, those are terrible odds.

I bring this up, because Social Security bets that you won't live. SS will state that about 4% of retirement age people never see any benefits. Such a lie. About 25% of men never see any benefits because they DIE early.

I don't like the above method of viewing lifespan. Ex: if you live to 65, you stand a good chance of living to 80.

We can state it another way. Men stand a 20-30% chance of dying before 65 (United States used to be 23%, is now 25%) , and once age 65, a 50% chance of dying within the next 17 years. Quite frankly, those are terrible odds.

I bring this up, because Social Security bets that you won't live. SS will state that about 4% of retirement age people never see any benefits. Such a lie. About 25% of men never see any benefits because they DIE early.
The tragedy is men do the bulk of the dangerous working (industry, military, law enforcement, high stress careers, etc.), the dying, and the suicides in America. We men are the figurative plow-horses that keep it all propped up. Hence the shorter life expectancy.

Race is also a significant factor. This report contains a table that breaks down remaining life expectancy by age, gender, and race. You can interpolate for your age.

Life Expectancy
I looked into that race thing and it turnes out that modern humans are about 97% chimpanzee. The other 3%?
Besides environmental influences I read on the internet, that white people are white, black people are black and so on, because humans and animals are attracted to the opposite sex that resembe their parents.
Fantasy of the master race as seen on Hollywood, potraying indians as illeterate pop-up targets is just one example.
The sickle-cell gene is protection from malaria. I could go on, but no politics.

Well now, isnt that a depressing way to look at things! *LOL*

I don't know how most people stand on the second part and if they dont agree with me that is really fine, we all do what we do but as far as the Social Security thing and when to collect, well this is why I say to others do the math yourself because the media/news is just entertainment, actually broadcasters have no idea what they are saying, they are reading a script designed to attract attention for advertising revenue.

This is just for me and of course others, at the same time I certainly respect others who do the opposite.
I have worked my entire life, started around age 12 as a paperboy. At 16 I started working for a company and contributing to the Social Security System each and every year until the age of 62 (and also 65 more on that) So for a solid 46 years, every week I have been putting money into my Social Security Account and once I was eligible to take it out I started, right at age 62. I mean why not? Its my money and if I die early I nor any of my family get the money.

I want what I put into the system or more back while I am living. Simple as that. If I dont spend it, I could invest it my way and the difference between collecting later at 67 or 62 becomes almost irrelevant.
I want my money back while I am living and while I can spend it, its very true, some people dont make it to 70 by me taking it starting at age 62 instead of 67, if I took it at 67 and collected more money per month with full benefits I would have to live to around 80 before I was at the breakeven point by collecting at 62.
Using a generic number if a person was collecting $2000 a month in Social Security at age 62 by the time he/she reached full retirement at 67 he/she would have collected $120,000 for those years in-between and it would take living to the age of around 80 to make back that $120,000 in full retirement age of 67.

If I die early, Social Security keeps my money, my family doesnt get a dime. So by taking it at 62 I am not gambling that I will live to a certain age 78 or 80. To me it really is gambling.
Ok, So at 62 I started collecting Social Security but then I still had health ins costs as Medicare doesnt kick in until 65. I took a part time job at a bank that paid my health ins and left that job at 65, incredible benefits even part time at nation banks. Honestly I like working, loved working in a bank but the bank changed things around in which my Mon to Fri 5 hour work days (and the entire branch) were also now to work once a month on Saturdays at another branch, it was time to exit.

SO here I am still alive, getting health care at almost no cost (even though I contributed to that my whole life as well) and living good.
Now about that extra $120,000 hmmmm that's getting close to a good used light aircraft isnt it? *LOL* (just kidding around)

Last edited:
Back