License Plates

I got pulled over all the time in my 300ZX because I never put a front plate on it. Never got a ticket.

Others mentioned California's front and back policy. The front plate however is bare. A new pair of plates is identical and either one can get the month sticker and of course the yearly registration sticker. For some reason these are in the corner where a license plate bracket might cover them up slightly.

My parents got a fix it ticket once after their front license plate fell off. The front plate was missing for a long time, but they didn't bother to do anything about it until they got the ticket. This was back when California charged a small (one-time) premium for the white plate with the California logo (think LA Law). I think it was maybe $12 more.

Also - it's illegal to place anything over a license plate that covers the plate number. So clear or shaded plastic covers are illegal. I've seen these for sale in California, but they always have a notice that they're only suitable for show purposes - I guess they have to be removed when driven on the street.

I got pulled over all the time in my 300ZX because I never put a front plate on it. Never got a ticket.
A coworker's husband had a Corvette and he refused to put on the front plate, although he kept it in the car for some reason. They lived in a small town and it became a running joke between him and the cop that would pull him over to remind him that there was supposed to be a plate on the front. IIRC, he never actually got a ticket, though.

How long ago was that?

I lived in ILL from 2008 to 2014 and never needed to replace plates annually.

The last set of plates that were only good for one year in Illinois, were issued in 1978.

In 1979, they moved over to multi-year plates and stickers.

Another Californian here. I have been a front plate scofflaw for more than 35 years. I only got one ticket and that was by a chicken manure motorcycle officer. I lived near a school zone and knew that traffic enforcement was monitored closely. I was doing about 20 MPH down the street and saw the cop had a soccer mom in a mini van pulled over up ahead. As I approached, he stepped out into the street, pointed at me and pointed towards the curb. I thought WTH, I wasn't speeding. When he was done writing a ticket to the soccer mom, he wrote me a ticket for no front plate.
I put the plate on, paid the $25 fine, had it signed off at a local substation and kept the plate on the car for about a year until I sold it.

I have not installed a front plate on the three cars I have owned since and have received speeding tickets in two of them. In neither case did the officer even look at the front of my car.

The police always deny that they write tickets just to raise revenue or that they have "quotas" to achieve but it sure looked like it the day the officer stopped me coming down the street by the school, and not committing any kind of infraction where the absence of a front plate may have been an "add on" to another offense.

In IL now too and I have a front and rear plates on the focus and my previous Evo because they came with the holders from the dealer so I figured "what the heck, might as well have two plates and not have any issues." All my buddies with no front plates have only had issues in the city [of Chicago.]

2 plates here in MO. I think the plate material is now aluminum vs steel. Regular 6 digit plates are still embossed stamped, but vanity plates are decal over flat plate I believe. Plate re-design happened last year and previous plates I believe were close to 11 years old with only the stickers being added every two years with that renewal option.

Years ago Texas was set to drop the front plate to save money. The Law Enforcement group’s lobby pitched a fit that it would endanger law enforcement lives. So the front plate remains.

Bull!...they just did not want to get out of their air conditioned cruisers to check plates on cars backed into spots in Motel parking lots. Crimes solved by viewing a front plate by LE or a witness are rare or non existent.
From what I have read … it’s surveillance cameras that have kept them alive … not sure how rare … but solving and being able to win the case is pretty solid with that video and LP identity

Both plates are an enforced requirement in Ontario, Canada. Stickers once a year or every two years on the back plate.

The province recently rolled out some plates whose characters were unreadable at night and had to stop production of them.

Another Californian here. I have been a front plate scofflaw for more than 35 years. I only got one ticket and that was by a chicken manure motorcycle officer. I lived near a school zone and knew that traffic enforcement was monitored closely. I was doing about 20 MPH down the street and saw the cop had a soccer mom in a mini van pulled over up ahead. As I approached, he stepped out into the street, pointed at me and pointed towards the curb. I thought WTH, I wasn't speeding. When he was done writing a ticket to the soccer mom, he wrote me a ticket for no front plate.
I put the plate on, paid the $25 fine, had it signed off at a local substation and kept the plate on the car for about a year until I sold it.

I have not installed a front plate on the three cars I have owned since and have received speeding tickets in two of them. In neither case did the officer even look at the front of my car.

The police always deny that they write tickets just to raise revenue or that they have "quotas" to achieve but it sure looked like it the day the officer stopped me coming down the street by the school, and not committing any kind of infraction where the absence of a front plate may have been an "add on" to another offense.
Was dropping my daughter off at LAX for her flight home when a motorcycle cop stopped me for no front plate on my wifes 08 Malibu, after all the questions on why I didn't have a plate he let me go with a warning after telling him I live 4 hours away.

I've owned 12 cars in this state and my first order of business is to remove the front license plate bracket. When I bought new, I told the dealer no front plate. I just don't like the look of them.

With all those vehicles and driving for 30 years I have never had an issue with any LEO's.

Someone above said, "Well, don’t mess with the guys who make them (state prison) …"
I "always heard" that license plate duty was coveted and assigned to model prisoners"

Someone else above mentioned having, '...been stopped 20 times and never given aticket for no front plate", or words to that effect.

Who wants to be stopped over and over again when it can be avoided by obeying a DMV regulation? Honestly, how stupid can you be?
MAYBE if you're a gal and use "front plate pull-overs" to meet employed guys.

I used to live in CA. I once got pulled over in the desert on I-10 for the sole reason of having no plate. I think the cop was bored. Here in KS, no front plate. Thankfully none of my vehicles front bumpers were drilled for front plates.

A childhood friend of mine is a Dallas cop. He told me they definitely have quotas, especially at the end of the month.

Plates or Tags, we all have one. Some have two. My state, NC, only requires a plate on the rear of the car. We replace the sticker yearly so the inconvenience is minor compared with having to change a front and rear plate annually like I used to have to do in Illinois. Always seemed like it was winter when that happened.

Having a front plate seems like a waste of steel to me. We also can have anything we like slapped on the front of our cars/trucks.

What's on your front end?
I keep my front plate on, it doesn't bother me.. Now, the financially strapped school systems have to install additional cameras on busses to capture the plate number of some idiot w/o a front plate who drove past a stopped school bus. I could never figure out why these idiotic law makers would propose such a bill. It sure isn't about saving on steel. I have had my existing plates for over ten years now.

MVIMG_20200814_085403.jpg

Here in Virginia we are required to have two the traffic cameras watch us the only way you can get away with one is if the car wasn’t equipped to have one. I don’t run regular plates all my vehicles have special plates on them and then when I decide to change them I add the old ones to my collection. I wish we only had to have one though that would make it so much better. And we can do our registration for 1,2 or 3 years I always do mine for 2 or 3 cause you save money that way.

Plates or Tags, we all have one. Some have two. My state, NC, only requires a plate on the rear of the car. We replace the sticker yearly so the inconvenience is minor compared with having to change a front and rear plate annually like I used to have to do in Illinois. Always seemed like it was winter when that happened.

Having a front plate seems like a waste of steel to me. We also can have anything we like slapped on the front of our cars/trucks.

What's on your front end?
License plates are on the front on all my vehicles. I don't get caught up in the abolishment of the front license plate movement. School buses in my city all had to get another camera installed to catch people passing stopped school buses because front plates were no longer required.

Back