License Plates

Plates or Tags, we all have one. Some have two. My state, NC, only requires a plate on the rear of the car. We replace the sticker yearly so the inconvenience is minor compared with having to change a front and rear plate annually like I used to have to do in Illinois. Always seemed like it was winter when that happened.

Having a front plate seems like a waste of steel to me. We also can have anything we like slapped on the front of our cars/trucks.

What's on your front end?

I am in CA. We are required to have a front plate. While you may get away without one for years you can get a ticket for it. I always run one.

I'm trapped in Illinois. Front and back plates, but they've been the same set of plates for 15+ years now.... so no R&R issues. Since it is Illinois, there's no money to replate on a regular basis.

The biggest problem is that the yearly stickers start to stack up, and need to be culled every several years.

I was supposed to get new plates for the Silverado in April, but it was pushed back to year 16 due to COVID and incompetence within the Secretary of State's office. Also supposed to get new plates for the Sierra this year. We'll see, it hasn't happened yet.

Front and rear required here. You can get stopped for missing a front plate.

For a while my EZPass transponder was dead, but the toll booth was able to read the plate and charge me accordingly. "They" sent me a nice email explaining that they thought my transponder had a problem (turned out, dead battery after 10 years). Good for that much, at least.

Get a new set of stickers each year for the plates. Every so often I have to scrape off a few years, otherwise the pile might fall off, but otherwise I just put the new one over the old one. I would have had a 20 year old plate but the plate went unregistered for over a year and the town clerk wouldn't renew. So each of our vehicles has plates from whenever they were registered, I think the oldest is 9 now.

I still have the plate advertising the dealer on the front of my truck. My real front plate is somewhere in my garage. On the back is a metal colored plate. The paint peeled off.

I feel bad for those with front plates, it makes nice cars so ugly.

I have personalized plates on my Genesis and Jeep.

The one on the Genesis is themed “Arizona Science Center” and has 0’s and 1’s. The text is my last name. My Jeep is Arizona Centennial themed.

Attachments

• 304A0109-DD08-4C16-86CF-D97D0E126A59.jpeg
    304A0109-DD08-4C16-86CF-D97D0E126A59.jpeg
    116.2 KB · Views: 70
  • BF31DBD0-187A-433C-B0F8-AC8F0B3EBA20.jpeg
    BF31DBD0-187A-433C-B0F8-AC8F0B3EBA20.jpeg
    166.1 KB · Views: 71
Michigan weather is tough on plates. Some would be downright unreadable. The state recently required replacement of plates that are over 10 years old.

Plates front and rear. Registration stickers on the plates front and rear. We replace our plates every 7 (seven) years here. In the year your plates are to be replaced, there is a plate fee charged on your registration.

Personally, the plates are required and are supposed to be on every vehicle registered here. I don't find the plate ugly or unattractive -they just are, and frankly should be considered by the manufacturer in the look of the vehicle anyways - they know they are required in many places...

CA resident here as well and ran without a front plate for years. Always received a ticket and now run a front plate all the time. I don't need any excuse to get pulled over.

I am in CA. We are required to have a front plate. While you may get away without one for years you can get a ticket for it. I always run one.

Nebraska has front and rear plates, and yearly stickers. The plates get replaced every 5 years I think?? I may be wrong. There have been people in the legislature pushing to do away with the front plate, but so far no go. Personally I think it is silly to have a front plate, but Nebraska is kinda, well it has always been that way, so we won't/can't change it. State patrol says, we need to see the license / tag number. Funny, other states don't seem to have a problem.

Back in the seventies knew a woman who moved from Wisconsin to Georgia about the same time I did. She split her plates between two cars and wasn't caught for a year. Missouri had a bill to go to one plate but don't think it got through the legislature. Too bad there's better uses for the money.

Plates or Tags, we all have one. Some have two. My state, NC, only requires a plate on the rear of the car. We replace the sticker yearly so the inconvenience is minor compared with having to change a front and rear plate annually like I used to have to do in Illinois. Always seemed like it was winter when that happened.

Having a front plate seems like a waste of steel to me. We also can have anything we like slapped on the front of our cars/trucks.

Just got first plates (2) for the new Rubicon (aluminum) … had to drill my own holes in the plastic for the front …
Bought slim frames for both … I don’t advertise for a dealer …
Put front tag inside windshield …

Live in Georgia, no front plate required. Ironically, I do have a 1971 Texas Farm Truck license plate on the front of my truck. I've had people ask why.

1. I like Texas
2. 1971 is a good year
3. Makes people wonder

And it must be legal. There's been plenty of opportunity for law enforcement to have a talk about it.

Back