license plate frame with 3rd brake light

Anyone have experience with the license plate frames w/ led third brake lights? I know, they are probably all cheesy crap, but i am thinking of one for my TR6. The car is almost totally original and as stock as it can be, down to the complete emissions controls and seat belt buzzer. I do not want to permanently mount a chmsl or put in a roll bar which is a common mount for these cars. I was considering a magnetic mount on the trunk then I saw a pickup earlier today with a brake light in his plate frame and thought that was clever.

The TR6 has a rather weak set of rear lights; small, primitive, low and they really wash out in direct sun. Combine that with distracted drivers conditioned to third brake lights and it is a risky situation...had a few close calls already.

So, I'm looking for one that is less crappy than the others...
laugh.gif

Thoughts?

[Linked Image]

Why worry if you have those buffer stops?
smile.gif
The high-mounted stop light was implemented for the benefit of better visibility due to the higher locatio. I don't think that whether you have two or three brake lights at about the same height above ground makes any difference in terms of safety. I'd also suggest you beef up the existing brake lights. The third trunk-mounted one makes probably somehwat sense.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Have you also considered switching to LED bulbs?
This takes batteries, uses no wires and relies on g forces to operate. I wouldn't install it if you have to remove the frame to install new batteries. https://www.amazon.com/LumiSign-License-Inserts-Automatically-Installs/dp/B075G31VVR

I can't see that little pendulum switch timing exactly with the regular brake lights, sending a confusing signal.

I wonder if something artsy could be done with the fuel filler cap, like somehow combining it with a tastefully chromed nautical lamp. Save the OE cap for car shows, fish a quick electrical connection up through the rear bulkhead.

Thanks all, some out of the box ideas.

I have Phillips LED's in the stop/tail lights now and they are brighter. I am not usually a fan of LED's in stock housings, but the Phillips stuff is legit, very bright (many others are crap), and I find that good led retrofits work well in primitive lights w/ simple reflectors.

Here's another idea, what if you got red LEDs and put them in the backup light positions alongside the standard brake light positions? Sneak some white LEDs in to stay legal when reversing. Or find premade red/white LEDs that switch if you reverse polarity.

It'd double your square inches of red real estate back there.

Originally Posted by eljefino
Here's another idea, what if you got red LEDs and put them in the backup light positions alongside the standard brake light positions? Sneak some white LEDs in to stay legal when reversing. Or find premade red/white LEDs that switch if you reverse polarity.

It'd double your square inches of red real estate back there.

interesting, thks!

Back