Can i run a ground wire to a license plate light?

This is on my landscape trailer. I moved the plate to the ramp because I didn't like how it was mounted up high and stuck out. Was afraid some jogger was going to take their eye out. I think before it relied on the ground from the mounting bolts, now its intermentant depending on if it's making contact with an unpainted surfaced that it rubbed off.

If I run a ground wire from the bracket mount back up to the original mount location since it already has two holes already there, would thst fix my ground issue and make the light turn on all the time?

Always thought license plate lights were dumb, not like you don't already have headlights lighting them up already.

This is on my landscape trailer. I moved the plate to the ramp because I didn't like how it was mounted up high and stuck out. Was afraid some jogger was going to take their eye out. I think before it relied on the ground from the mounting bolts, now its intermentant depending on if it's making contact with an unpainted surfaced that it rubbed off.

If I run a ground wire from the bracket mount back up to the original mount location since it already has two holes already there, would thst fix my ground issue and make the light turn on all the time?

Always thought license plate lights were dumb, not like you don't already have headlights lighting them up already.
When I become the victim of a hit-and-run I may not have a handy light to read the license plate! Not that I am expecting to get run over by a landscaping trailer disappearing at zippy 25 mph in the dark. :ROFLMAO:

Your plan appears to be sound.

When I become the victim of a hit-and-run I may not have a handy light to read the license plate! Not that I am expecting to get run over by a landscaping trailer disappearing at zippy 25 mph in the dark. :ROFLMAO:

Your plan appears to be sound.
Good. Not sure if pd even cares about this since most seem to just tie them up wherever and I have never seen a light let alone a bracket lol. Then again they did pull me over once thinking I was drunk when really it was my pos dodge front end lol I haven't had a beer in 10 years

Ground the trailer then use the mesh for ground. Just be sure it's metal to metal and tight. A little petroleum jelly is good too.

Ground the trailer then use the mesh for ground. Just be sure it's metal to metal and tight. A little petroleum jelly is good too.
That's the problem, the zip ties break after a while and the plate shifts around, and the light quits working, so I'd rather quit scraping off all the paint off my trailer for a good ground

Then use an existing trailer bolt or drill and tap a place for a ground pigtail near the license plate light.

The ground wire should run all the way to the front of the trailer and splice into the white ground wire from the truck plug. Ideally don't use the trailer frame as a ground for anything. The other lights can be grounded by splicing into the same wire.

Grounding to the frame is OK as long as you take corrosion precautions. Unless what you have is controlled by switching the ground then almost everything is grounded to the body close to the use point. You should have a ground wire from the car to the trailer frame as part of the wire harness.

Back