Let's talk about Conoco Phillips oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: car51
Yeah Merk I saw where you guys there have a good price on the UNION 76 oil. I think I'll give the MC 5w20 a shot

5W-20 ?
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Branson304
I've heard it from multiple BITOGers & the folks at my dealership said the same thing. I figured it has to be pretty good considering Ford's recommended OCI of up to 10,000. For a 10,000 interval, it would have to have a good poke of synthetic in it.

Note that Ford's spec doesn't require any synthetic in it, as least any more than might be in a 20 in the first place, and the OLM would be predicated on what any specified oil can accomplish.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Going after other cars and buyers too. That's smart.

That's always wise. Just because someone drives Brand Y now, doesn't mean they don't have a good relationship with a dealer from Brand X. I have on occasion gotten filters for the G37 from the Ford dealership, and if oil were a good price, too, why not?

Originally Posted By: Garak
I've heard it from multiple BITOGers & the folks at my dealership said the same thing. I figured it has to be pretty good considering Ford's recommended OCI of up to 10,000. For a 10,000 interval, it would have to have a good poke of synthetic in it.

Note that Ford's spec doesn't require any synthetic in it, as least any more than might be in a 20 in the first place, and the OLM would be predicated on what any specified oil can accomplish.

I know Ford doesn't require synthetic, but they recommend a synthetic blend in the owner's manual. Recommend but not require. But most shops & dealers will tell you to use a blend or full syn if you're going to follow the OLM. I just think the OLM is out of reach for conventional. I don't want conventional in my engine for 10,000 miles of highway or 7,500 miles of towing/mixed driving. That just seems like you are asking for varnish/sludge.

Sure, but the spec is upon what they can actually hang their hats. Personally, under the right kind of driving conditions, as determined by the OLM, 10000 miles is attainable on a good conventional that meets the specification. Note that a lot of the 5w-20 options are blends anyhow, and anyone using a 0w-20 is using a blend or a synthetic.

Of course, you bring up the issue, indirectly, of trust, and that's valid. One is perfectly free not to trust the OLM for 10000 miles on a conventional, even with the correct specification, and it could be that such an interval is out of reach. There certainly is precedent for that. But, then the specification or the OLM intervals are at fault, not us, really.

I recently purchased 24 quarts of Kendall 0w20 full synthetic from PSC. Total cost was 99 dollars including shipping to NJ. I used the coupon code that was mentioned above. That is about 4 dollars a quart. Single quarts of other brands are twice the price in retail outlets around here.

My Impreza is running just fine with it. In addition,it meets all specs of the owners manual and gets great reviews.

My wallet is very happy.

Last edited:
Ford recommends them, so you know they are good.

Motorcraft synthetic blend & full synthetic have always been excellent oils from my experience. And the synthetic blend is very reasonably priced for its 60% synthetic content (Group III+)

I would use Motorcraft full synthetic but I can only get it from a dealer & the price is too high to be reasonable.

Not disputing your info, but how do you know the syn blend is 60% syn? Just curious.

I have used this family of motor oils for about 12 years. No retailers sell it here any more. Last time I paid less than $2.50 a quart for 76 syn blend at a distributor in Chesapeake, VA and I bought Kendall synthetic for $4.10 a quart at a wholesaler in FL.

I believe that the Kendall GT-1 is the only product with the titanium additive. PSX continues to use a regional approach with these oils. For instance, I can buy 76 and Kendall here in VA/NC, but not Conoco and TropArtic. In the Philly area, when visiting, I can buy Kendall and Conoco, but not 76 and TropArtic.

These syn blends have kept my engines running clean, and I've used the GT-1 High Performance conventional in my Alfa.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
I have used this family of motor oils for about 12 years. No retailers sell it here any more. Last time I paid less than $2.50 a quart for 76 syn blend at a distributor in Chesapeake, VA and I bought Kendall synthetic for $4.10 a quart at a wholesaler in FL.

I believe that the Kendall GT-1 is the only product with the titanium additive. PSX continues to use a regional approach with these oils. For instance, I can buy 76 and Kendall here in VA/NC, but not Conoco and TropArtic. In the Philly area, when visiting, I can buy Kendall and Conoco, but not 76 and TropArtic.

These syn blends have kept my engines running clean, and I've used the GT-1 High Performance in my Alfa.

I was there when the word 'titanium' was very first uttered by my old mate Richard.

Interestingly, the two of us were just larking about in the office at the time. It was a joke guys! No-one was supposed to take it seriously!!

I always thought it a tad unfair that Richard didn't get his name on the patent and I did. Life can be cruel sometimes...

I use Motorcraft 5W-20 blend in my 14 Mustang GT and in my fiancee's 07 Mustang GT. I use Trop Artic 5W-30 in my two 92 Cavaliers, my 98 K1500 Chevy truck and my fiancee's 94 Cavalier. I get the Trop Artic at Orschelin's for $1.99 a quart but this weeks ad has it for $2.09 a quart so they must have raised their sale price.

Anyway, for the price, the Trop Artic cannot be beat.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: wtd

Anyway, for the price, the Trop Artic cannot be beat.

This.
It is probably the best "sleeper" oil for the price.
Too bad availability isn't better.

To update this thread; do u guys think I would be ok getting a case of the UNION 76 5w20 or two since I hear it's as good as Kendall semi syn

Originally Posted By: car51
Yeah, you Midwesterners are lucky you have Orschelin's where it seems to always be on sale LOL!
smile.gif

True. They had T/A for $1.89 Thanksgiving Week. Price went back normal for one week and now it's back down to $2.09.
Edit: T/A also meets the Chrysler oil spec.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know a place that has a fleet of Gm trucks and express vans and they use 10w30 in their stuff. I don't think a 10w30 would hurt even in this day and age Merk

I have been using the Trop Artic for several years and just love the stuff, but alas we are losing our only Orscheln's (it's in a horrible location) so that is the end of that.

Sob.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back