Lets talk about Bourbon

I got a bottle of Makers Mark 101 proof over the weekend on a whim and have been surprised by how much I like this stuff, it is the best MM product I've ever had and I've tried just about everything MM that I could get my hands on.

A surprisingly good bottle is TinCup.

I got a bottle of that for Christmas a few years ago and I was not all that impressed. I thought it was okay at first but I grew tired of it very quickly, it seems very sugary and almost like a dessert whiskey if you will. Also the advertising behind it claims that it is a "mountain whiskey" however it is distilled in the flatlands of Indiana.

Tin Cup was the venture that Jess Graber started after selling off Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey (which is quite good). As noted, it is a sourced whiskey from Midwest Grain Products (MGP) in Lawrenceburg, Indiana. MGP is a massive distillation operation that provides whiskies and other spirits to many smaller labels. For example, Templeton, Dickel, and Bulleit rye whiskies are MGP sourced using MGP's 95% rye mash bill. If you read labels carefully, the honest ones may say "distilled in Indiana." If you see that, it's MGP juice. Fortunately, MGP spirits are very good and they have more than enough barrels in their warehouses for specific flavor profiles to be achieved.

Originally Posted By: marine65

Higher price- Jim Beam Black label. I think its as good as any Bourbon at any price.

Jim Beam Black is the stuff.
It’s the best stuff for catching nats and fruit flies as bait. They really go for it in a ff trap. The stuff tastes terrible to me. Makers Mark, BT and Woodford for me. Also Russels Reserve and Evan Williams Single Barrel are excellent for the price.

I was in the liquor store yesterday and saw something that reminded me to inform y'all of something. The term "straight bourbon" has a legal meaning. For one, it means that it was barrel aged for AT LEAST two years. If the bourbon was aged for at least two years, but less than four it is supposed to have an age statement on the label. I noticed a product that proclaimed it was from a micro distillery, but in small print on the back label it said "Distilled in Kentucky." Since the micro distillery was not in Kentucky it means that they purchased their whiskey and slapped their own label on it. It also just said "Bourbon" on the label which means it was aged less than two years. Age doesn't mean everything, but it does mean something. You can sometimes get a good result with less than two years of aging, but that's a rarity. Usually, you end up with juice that has too much wood flavor and lacking the big caramel and vanilla notes. Hey, some like that. I'm just saying that reading labels and researching is important because a lot of these micro whiskies sell for a pretty penny.
I found that 7-10 yrs aging produces very good bourbon. All my favorites are in that category. Try Russels Reserve 10 year From Wild Turkey master distillers. Great stuff for around $30.

Looks like some decent suggestions in this older thread.

In the "under $30" category, I've been enjoying Buffalo Trace. I also just picked up a bottle of 1792 Small Batch - looking forward to trying it. Another one I'd like to try is Evan Williams Single Barrel.
That is very good bourbon for it’s price.

if you can't find Blanton's, ask for Eagle Rare. both from BT in Frankfort.
smooth, with a bit of water, or ice
All of them are very hard to get these days. Blantons is way over priced and BT has a $26 msrp from the distillery. It’s gotten ridiculous. I used to buy these bourbons routinely now they are hard to find. Eagle Rare is the best of the 3.

Having now had a chance to try EWSB, I have to say I prefer 1792 SB at the same price. There is something off about EWSB, but I can't exactly pinpoint it. Lacking smoothness maybe?
EWSB used to be 10 yrs old. Now it’s 6-7 which is not bad for the price.

I got a bottle of Makers Mark 101 proof over the weekend on a whim and have been surprised by how much I like this stuff, it is the best MM product I've ever had and I've tried just about everything MM that I could get my hands on.
Have you tried MM Cask Strength? Some prefer it over the 101.

I was given a bottle of Devils River Bourbon made in Texas.
All I can say is if it isn't made in Kentucky dont buy it.
I tried it and gave the bottle away.
Same go's for the Colorado Bourbons.

I’ve tried several bourbons and haven’t really had a bad one. Obviously some are better than others. My go to is Evan Williams. You just can’t beat the price for that flavor.

Currently trying a bottle of Old Grandad 114. It’s not bad but I’d prefer EW. Not sure what I’ll try next. I flip between bourbon and scotch. As I get older these are easier to drink. When I was younger it was CC and 7 or beer! Finally I grew up 🤣

Just my $0.02

Tomorrow’s lottery at local bottle shop to have opportunity to purchase bottles drawing is tomorrow morning hopefully I get picked.
05105342-697F-4C80-B901-2A076C465BB3.jpg

I’ve tried several bourbons and haven’t really had a bad one. Obviously some are better than others. My go to is Evan Williams. You just can’t beat the price for that flavor.

Currently trying a bottle of Old Grandad 114. It’s not bad but I’d prefer EW. Not sure what I’ll try next. I flip between bourbon and scotch. As I get older these are easier to drink. When I was younger it was CC and 7 or beer! Finally I grew up 🤣

Just my $0.02
If you like EW, have you tried EW white label (bonded, 100 proof)? It's still a bargain price and very good. EW is made by Heaven Hill. OG is Jim Beam's higher rye mash bill. It's virtually the same juice as what goes in the Basil Hayden bottles. There are 80, 100, and 114 proof expressions available. Why spend the money for Basil Hayden when OG is around!

Within bourbon, mash bills, yeast strains, still types, and aging locations can make all the difference in the world - so many flavor profiles are available within the bourbon category.

If you like EW, have you tried EW white label (bonded, 100 proof)? It's still a bargain price and very good. EW is made by Heaven Hill. OG is Jim Beam's higher rye mash bill. It's virtually the same juice as what goes in the Basil Hayden bottles. There are 80, 100, and 114 proof expressions available. Why spend the money for Basil Hayden when OG is around!

Within bourbon, mash bills, yeast strains, still types, and aging locations can make all the difference in the world - so many flavor profiles are available within the bourbon category.
Picked up a bottle of EW white label (100 proof). It’s pretty easy drinking and was $18.99 at the local Hy-Vee.

Just my $0.02

Back