Lets talk about Bourbon

Planning to pick up some EWSB next weekend if I can't find Buffalo Trace.
Having now had a chance to try EWSB, I have to say I prefer 1792 SB at the same price. There is something off about EWSB, but I can't exactly pinpoint it. Lacking smoothness maybe?

Last edited:
I was actually having a conversation about bourbon yesterday, I was asked what bourbon we should get to cook with and drink for Thanksgiving. I have not been a bourbon drinker for several years, I got hooked on scotch during the past decade and bourbon just doesn't do it for me anymore.

That being said I recommended Makers 46 which is still my favorite, commonly available, bourbon after all these years.

I've really been enjoying Knob Creek Quarter Oak. It was a limited release but if you can find it I would suggest giving it a try. Some similarities to Woodford Double Oaked but better in my opinion.

Planning to pick up some EWSB next weekend if I can't find Buffalo Trace.
Last week I purchased a bottle of EWSB 2011. Its tasted much different than EW Black . I do not have a lot of experience with Bourbon and like the Black better neat .
I also had the cork break when opening .
I managed to lightly press it back in but not sure if glue will do the trick re-attaching it to the plastic end .

Last week I purchased a bottle of EWSB 2011. Its tasted much different than EW Black . I do not have a lot of experience with Bourbon and like the Black better neat .
The EWSB one I bough was 2012.

It's got this massive heat/burn finish that I have not experienced with other bourbons. Not a fan, personally.

I was able to find a bottle of Buffalo Trace last weekend. Looking forward to getting back to it.

I generally only drink bourbon meat but tonight wanted a stiff cocktail
Bourbon Old fashion
Bulleit Bourbon at least 50% glass
Big dose of bitters shake shake shake
Bit of real Maple syrup
Topped with Sprite
Refreshing but still a good stiff
20210115_192936.jpg
cocktail

I'm trying to finish off a handle of whatever the Jim Beam that costs around $30 is, and it's really tough. It's really harsh, even when mixed with coke. I use about half of what I normally pour of rum for a much nastier-tasting drink. I think I'll pour it out, actually.

I should say that I'm more a beer guy. When I drink liquor, it's almost always mixed. I like Rum and cokes, Manhattans (not with Jim Beam!), gin and tonic, gin and juice (usually cran), old fashion, dark and stormies, Moscow mules, and a few other easy-to-make drinks. My poor-man's dark and stormy sub's ginger ale for ginger beer, for instance.

I'm also open to a good Bourbon for mixing; however, it might be tough, since there are several tasty rum options for less than $30 per 1.5L

Benchmark 8.
I'll check it out. My New Year's resolution is to have a dry month after I've finished what I have left (minus the "save" stuff in the basement). I've got 1/3 handle of Vodka and 1/2 handle of Jim Beam left, though I might toss the JB, as mentioned.

Any better recommendations on what to mix with JB? I'd rather not let it go to waste.

I'll pick up a bottle of Benchmark 8 in March, I guess. Thanks.

OK, looking to try something new, up to say $40 per 750ml bottle... debating between Knob Creek Small Batch 100 proof and Four Roses Small Batch. Any recommendations?

OK, looking to try something new, up to say $40 per 750ml bottle... debating between Knob Creek Small Batch 100 proof and Four Roses Small Batch. Any recommendations?
I have to drink them with an ice cube or near to really taste any differences. In my old fashioneds, any good bourbon or rye tastes great to me. Sagamore was recommended on here but my store was sold out of it. A surprisingly good bottle is TinCup.

Back