Lets talk about Bourbon

Originally Posted By: dblshock
Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Originally Posted By: dblshock
Been working on the Buffalo Trace and as a treat Colonel Taylor both by Sazerac probably same mash bil.

Good call.

BT Mash Bills

Odd I didn't see 1792 in their BT family.

The list to which I linked isn't meant to be comprehensive. It was only meant to illustrate that Col. Taylor and BT had the same mash bill.

If you are fond of the Barton distillery products you might like Very Old Barton 100 proof. It's one of the best bargain bourbons out there.

+1 on the VOB. I remember trying it many years ago and was truly impressed with how good I thought it was for the price.

I picked up another bargain bottle today. It's called Medley Brothers. It is a NDP (non distiller producer) bottle, but it is made under contract using the seller's mash bill. It's a 51% ABV straight bourbon for $25. It is very good for the price. The old fashioned label on it is kinda kitsch, too. Since there are very few bad bourbons I decided to give this one a try and am glad I did. It's a clean sipper with short finish that has a nice balance of graininess/oiliness/spiciness.

I tend to use ABV (alcohol by volume, or percent alcohol) rather than proof because that's what the rest of the world does. In the U.S. "proof" is just two times the ABV. In England "100 proof" is navy strength and is 57% ABV. That would equate to 114 U.S. proof. So, you can see why ABV is just easier.

Tried a new one today. It's James E Pepper 1776 straight bourbon whiskey. This is an historic brand, though its distillery has been idle since the 1950's. Since bourbon is hot right now it appears they are going to refurbish the old distillery. This bourbon is contract distilled by MGPI in Indiana. That is not a bad thing as there is a big difference between contract distilling and bulk whiskey buying. Even though this one is 100 proof it is is an easy neat sipper. It's like chili pepper chocolate. Some spice on the forefront followed by rich caramel notes. It's not terribly expensive, but it is a bit more than a bargain bottle at around $30. This is a high rye bourbon that has enough mellowness to convert even the die hard wheated whiskey drinker. Spicy entry with a very mellow finish. I recommend it.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Can't believe no one has mentioned Four Roses Single Barrel.

That is an excellent one, though, I don't buy it often as it exceeds my customary price range of $30 or less. If I spend over that I usually go for Booker's. As i may have said earlier, we are living in the whiskey heyday. There are more great whiskies available in the world than ever and more pop up all the time. With bourbon you almost can't go wrong, no matter how little or much you spend.

I've personally not liked Buffalo Trace. Something about the flavors from the yeast they use leaves me thinking "spoiled" whenever I have some. But, that's why bourbon is so much fun. There's one out there for nearly every whiskey fan. If you like BT, there's a whiskey call Bowman Brothers Pioneer Spirit Small Batch Virginia Straight Bourbon Whiskey. Long name, right? The A. Bowman distillery is owned by Sazerac (who owns BT). The BT distillery in Kentucky sends BT distillate to A. Bowman where they distill it once more and then mature it in Virginia. I like it A LOT.

As I've said before Bourbon is like a cigarette..once a man starts on a brand say L&M he doesn't care for an Old Gold, I'm thinking the pallet adjusts with frequent consumption.

For me it's not the case. My palate (I wouldn't be able to fit a pallet in my mouth, though, my mom might disagree) becomes fatigued from the same thing all the time. There are a few expressions I buy more than others, but I rarely get the same one twice in a row.

For some, though, what dblshock said above is the way it is.

the perfect day today, changed oil in my Civic, Rincon & Rubicon..grilled N.Y. Strips for me and the lady now relaxing with a coffee yogurt, raspberry jaffa cakes washed down with

3 oil changes in one day, all three have skid plates too. I don't change oil for a living so with the skid plates I needed unfamiliar tools and of course had to get up off the 40 degree concrete to get them..it was alot of up and down for a 59 yr. old but after a couple 1792's i'm all good, remarkable product.

Late to this thread but it's always fun talking about brown water. I am struck by the proliferation of Rebel Yell expressions that are going "fancy". Luxco is doing a nice job of moving upmarket with this brand, and they really are nice bourbons at the price point.

I thought of Rebel Yell as a novelty drink for drunk frat boys in the southern US but it really is a solid product. I was joking to a friend that the whole idea of Small Batch Rebel Yell was as silly as 14 year old Fighting Cock...lo and behold Heaven Hill apparently makes a 13 year old Fighting Cock for export.

I actually bought some Fighting Cock recently and it was a decent pour...and the art on the label is cool too.

Jack Daniels "Tennessee bourbon" green label
smile.gif

Looks like some decent suggestions in this older thread.

In the "under $30" category, I've been enjoying Buffalo Trace. I also just picked up a bottle of 1792 Small Batch - looking forward to trying it. Another one I'd like to try is Evan Williams Single Barrel.

Back