Lets talk about Bourbon

The distillery I don't like Heaven Hill has by far the most labels out there probably a half dozen new every quarter, same swill inside..they're after the experimenting nubies.

Originally Posted By: whizbyu
Has anyone tried High West Campfire?

Yes. It's outstanding. The smoke is very subtle. I don't like peaty scotches at all, but really like this. One of my favorite sipping whiskies.

Ed

Originally Posted By: edhackett

Yes. It's outstanding. The smoke is very subtle. I don't like peaty scotches at all, but really like this. One of my favorite sipping whiskies.

Ed

It is my favorite "bourbon" Many purists will say it isn't real bourbon.

Originally Posted By: edhackett

Ed

You should try Clynelish and Redbreast.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
The distillery I don't like Heaven Hill has by far the most labels out there probably a half dozen new every quarter, same swill inside..they're after the experimenting nubies.

I liked their Elijah Craig 12.

Although the age statement has been recently removed.

Just read a recent article in Cook's Country about Bourbon-marinated steaks. Sounds like a good combination to me. I generally don't drink the stuff this time of year, as it's too blasted hot. Gin & tequila are my summer alcohols + beer.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
I generally don't drink the stuff this time of year, as it's too blasted hot. Gin & tequila are my summer alcohols + beer.

I just turn down the A/C and drink away!

Originally Posted By: marine65

Higher price- Jim Beam Black label. I think its as good as any Bourbon at any price.

Jim Beam Black is the stuff.

The Beam portfolio definitely has some good products. I like several of them. My favorite is Booker's, but it's an occasional treat due to the price. Black label is eight years old and a very good value. I like Baker's, Knob Creek, and Jim Beam Bonded as well. There's a lot of great stuff there.

Some of you may know this, but Beam is owned by Suntory (Japanese) and also owns Maker's Mark, Laphroaig, Ardmore, Teacher's, Bowmore, and the former Cooley Irish whiskies. They also own several Japanese whisky brands. They are a very big player.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Some of you may know this, but Beam is owned by Suntory (Japanese) and also owns Maker's Mark, Laphroaig, Ardmore, Teacher's, Bowmore, and the former Cooley Irish whiskies. They also own several Japanese whisky brands. They are a very big player.

I went on the Suntory corporate tour back in 1987 while on my IMBA foreign study excursion. The CEO and his son (Harvard MBA)hosted our group...it was 9:00am and they broke out their private reserve cart of their favorite whiskeys...needless to say after 3 hours of our 20 minute visit we had to cancel the rest of the day and be driven back to our hotel....
crazy2.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
cheers3.gif
cheers3.gif
cheers3.gif

It was awesome....

I like my Bulleit 10 yr.

Some criticize it for being a too little mellowed out compared to the regular Bulleit.

For mixing, Jim Beam white label is good enough for me.

Originally Posted By: car51
DBMaster: what do you think of the Bulleitt bourbon?

I like Bulleit. I've had it a number of times. Their whiskey has been a blend of several of the ten different bourbons made at Four Roses. Four Roses is an elegant whiskey that has less of a rustic flair than other brands. They broke ground on a new distillery in 2014 and expect to be distilling their own juice late this year. Of course, it will then be 5+ years until you'll start seeing their distillate in stores. I haven't tried the ten year old. I have tried Bulleit Rye. It's sourced at Midwest Grain Products' distillery in Indiana. Dickel also uses rye from MGP.

Bulleit and Four Roses yellow label are good bourbons to recommend to someone who wants to try bourbon and is not quite ready for the challenge of a more old style whiskey.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
I like my Bulleit 10 yr.

Some criticize it for being a too little mellowed out compared to the regular Bulleit.

Bulleit is a pretty "soft" whiskey regardless. Bourbon does not have to be a sucker punch. That's what's cool about living in the bourbon heyday (RIGHT NOW). There are all sorts out there. The first time I had Bulleit I bought a second bottle right away.

I like to rotate my spirits. Right now I'm into a bottle of Copper & Kings unaged apple brandy as well as London No. 1 gin. I recently finished off a bottle of George Dickel No 12 (still one of my all time faves) and Rhum J.M. white rhum agricole.

Back