Let's pick my oil, 2012 Chevy Cruze 1.4 turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wrong as my stash. I have 5 single quarts of edge 0w30 SL made in Belgium left. I guess that's going in the cruze next then I'll be considering the M1 0w40 as well as the Dexos2 at Walmart. I was also considering.

Originally Posted By: SR5
901Memphis,
GM Australia say to use a Dexos2 (not Dexos1) oil in that little turbo engine, as it's hard on oil.

Dexos2 is the Diesel engine (and high stress gas engine) oil, not to be confused with Dexos1-Gen2. It's effectively a Euro C3 oil, which is a mid-SAPS version of a Euro A3/B4 oil. The mid-SAPS is mostly for the DPF when used in diesel engines. All Dexos2 & C3 & A3/B4 oils have a HTHS > 3.5 cP, so they are a "thick" oil compared to an ILSAC Dexos1 oil. Typical Dexos2 oils here are either 5W30 or 5W40.

So I would have no problem running a Euro 0W40 A3/B4 oil in the Cruze 1.4 iTi engine, it's basically a high-SAPS Dexos2 oil, and the SAPS level is mostly about the DPF not a gas engine issue.

When I enquired about using a Dexos1 oil in the Australian 1.4 Cruze, the message I got back from GM-Australia is that it wouldn't meet their warranty requirements and that Dexos2 was required.

^ This
smile.gif

So for all of you out there who need a 0w-20 but in Dexos 2, keep using the elite oils that are not Dexos 2. So glad I got the OEM for Mazda and Subie among others ON BOARD. Idemitsu 0w-20! 38 quarts "off of" Advance Auto Parts CLEARANCE RACK (although it is hidden out back on the back shelf).

Originally Posted By: SR5
901Memphis,
GM Australia say to use a Dexos2 (not Dexos1) oil in that little turbo engine, as it's hard on oil.

Dexos2 is the Diesel engine (and high stress gas engine) oil, not to be confused with Dexos1-Gen2. It's effectively a Euro C3 oil, which is a mid-SAPS version of a Euro A3/B4 oil. The mid-SAPS is mostly for the DPF when used in diesel engines. All Dexos2 & C3 & A3/B4 oils have a HTHS > 3.5 cP, so they are a "thick" oil compared to an ILSAC Dexos1 oil. Typical Dexos2 oils here are either 5W30 or 5W40.

So I would have no problem running a Euro 0W40 A3/B4 oil in the Cruze 1.4 iTi engine, it's basically a high-SAPS Dexos2 oil, and the SAPS level is mostly about the DPF not a gas engine issue.

When I enquired about using a Dexos1 oil in the Australian 1.4 Cruze, the message I got back from GM-Australia is that it wouldn't meet their warranty requirements and that Dexos2 was required.

Seeing as the OP's Cruze is a 2012 model, I wonder GM Australia would have said about that? As everyone knows, no D2 oil was available back then.
The OP"s car is out of warranty now anyways, but I wonder, like my wife's 2017 Impala with warranty, what GM recommends even though, when it was built, D1 was the recommended oil?

If you use the stuff from Belgium it will rebuild the engine and then switch to Super Tech …

Originally Posted By: dblshock
I favor the Castrol over the M1 on the Ca/Mg ad pack for a TGDI.

Not sure the Cruze uses direct injection though.

let me reel that back the DI was a later 'upgrade' seems '12 was SFI...I'd still use synthetic motor oil regardless.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
Fuel delivery: direct injection with electronic throttle control

Is also with the A14NET engine - the distributed injection
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back