least miles for your year car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Quote:

The odometer only shows 5 digits plus the tenths so people assume it's 100,000 more than the reading.

That's crazy -- how much more would it cost for a 6-digit odometer? Installing a 5-digit odometer suggests to me that the manufacturer didn't have much confidence in the long-term durability of his truck.

Using that logic, they should have used a 7-digit odometer to make us think the vehicle will make a million miles....
smirk.gif

Maybe it had more to do with retooling costs and since one less digit on the odometer doesn't affect vehicle safety, Ford figured it could wait until the next redesign?

2004 Mercury Marauder, 2100 mi. Purchased new in Jan 04.
1997 Infiniti Q45, 57500 mi. Purchased used in March 01 with ~ 44k miles.

Live in Chicago, spend much time on public trans and walking. Everything I or the family needs is within 2 miles. I can ride my bike from my apt. along Lakeshore Drive form 79th ST - 6600 North.
cheers.gif

I own three vehicles that qualify for this thread.
I bought a brand new F250 4X4 on April 21 1977 I still have it and it has 21,000 miles
I have a 1971 Chrysler New Yorker 440 engine 42,000 miles
I have a 1992 Explorer 52,000 this vehicle has not used but 10 gal. gas in the last year just sits in a climate controlled garage and looks like new also runs like new.

Quote:

Quote:

The odometer only shows 5 digits plus the tenths so people assume it's 100,000 more than the reading.

That's crazy -- how much more would it cost for a 6-digit odometer? Installing a 5-digit odometer suggests to me that the manufacturer didn't have much confidence in the long-term durability of his truck.

Red,

You must be a pretty young one!!
laugh.gif
From the time mfgrs. began installing odometers they only went to 99,999. For MOST of the years vehicles have been manufactured, they were worn out long before then!!!!!!!! Only in the past 15-20 years has 200,000+ become common. Know you guys will bring up examples of many before that, but I'm speaking of majority.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back