leaks!...synthetic to conventional at high mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SuperFast

And how would Group V oil liek Redline do, its supposed to "Stay on the parts"?

coffee2.gif

Not very well. I had all my leak or two under control then did several runs of redline and now i have a few leaks that are flowing more than they ever have. The car spent 185,000 miles of it's life on castrol gtx 10w30. I got it added a quart and a half of rp 15w40 I had lying around to top off, started leaking. I changed to castrol gtx hm 10w30 leaks stopped. Started running rl not knowing if the esters are at all the same between group v and hm oils. I'm at almost 219,000 miles and the turbo area is pretty leaky, and I have an oil cooler hose leaking pretty good. I switch back to the gtx hm the other day and have m1 hm for the next change. Thinking about just going back to Dino or Dino hm.

The way companies are updating their oils to keep up with specification standards plain dino won't last long. It's looking like they will all eventually become a blend of some sort. I'm not opposed to this as I like qualities of both.

Just a thought and my
49.gif

Originally Posted By: LunerEclipse
The way companies are updating their oils to keep up with specification standards plain dino won't last long. It's looking like they will all eventually become a blend of some sort. I'm not opposed to this as I like qualities of both.

Just a thought and my
49.gif

UH OH....B.I.L.L
grin.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: iunderpressure
Originally Posted By: SuperFast

And how would Group V oil liek Redline do, its supposed to "Stay on the parts"?

coffee2.gif

Not very well. I had all my leak or two under control then did several runs of redline and now i have a few leaks that are flowing more than they ever have. The car spent 185,000 miles of it's life on castrol gtx 10w30. I got it added a quart and a half of rp 15w40 I had lying around to top off, started leaking. I changed to castrol gtx hm 10w30 leaks stopped. Started running rl not knowing if the esters are at all the same between group v and hm oils. I'm at almost 219,000 miles and the turbo area is pretty leaky, and I have an oil cooler hose leaking pretty good. I switch back to the gtx hm the other day and have m1 hm for the next change. Thinking about just going back to Dino or Dino hm.

They only "Name Brand" dino only oil you'll be able to use is Pennzoil, as Castrol's HM brand is now a synthetic blend.

I don't buy the *synthetic cleans up the seals* comment/theory either.

I have had plenty of engines, all makes/models run their entire lives on dino oil, all of these engines maintained very clean internals from what could be seen.

I've never used pure synthetics in any of them, even our heavy duty towing machine cause the UOA's would come back flawlessly never showing a need for anything different.

No dino oil this day and age should be leaving any kind of residue behind as long as normal OCI intervals are maintained.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Originally Posted By: virginoil
Originally Posted By: ryan2022
I know, I know Synthetics DONT cause leaks, I'm a firm believer in that.

I did however just finish a 6K run on Castrol syntec in my 170K mile civic, and noticed a large amount of oil coating my oil pan. I checked it prior to the run, and it was fairly dry.

I'm 100% sure the car had been run on dino its entire 14 year life so far and possibly longer OCI's, that it might have just tidied things up enough to expose some issues with the pan gasket.

I changed it to Quaker State green bottle, I'll report back in 5K/

Testimony to after 170000 miles of motoring why switch to synthetics when you are on a good thing ?

Good on you switch back and do what works for you.

Many on this site claim that they have switched back and forth at any mileage or vehicle age, good for them, I wouldn't risk it.

Meh, it's fine to switch
My 96 SL2 has seen anything from no name (appeared to be SOPUS oil) to Pennzoil Platinum and a few brands in between.
Just this weekend it went from PP to PYB.
Runs fine like always, have not had any problems with leakage on this engine. (Other than a warped POS valve cover which I replaced)

Yeah these composite cam covers bite. Mine has a crack and I used RTV on it and it just seeps out around the edges of the sealant. I'd like to have an actual metal one, but they say they won't interchange. Even a clean plastic one would work, but the junkyards are picked clean of them.

Synthetic may not cause leaks, but it hunts them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back