Lawn Mower Balde - Sharpen & Balance

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bearing doesn't have much to do with it. You are moving the pivot point closer to the center of mass. That's going to make it more sensitive to imbalance.

I've always just used a metal file and a long bolt for balancing.

Wait until it starts "shredding" the grass rather than slicing it off cleanly. Annual sharpening is overkill IMO.

.A blade that's off balance creates more wear & stress on the engine crank & main bearings (or deck bearings), not to mention vibrates the mower apart, makes your hands tingle, etc.

I suppose, But unless the mower has a visibly bent blade or a bent crankshaft , It hasn't been an issue Ive encountered yet
grin2.gif

I just wanted to find out how balanced I could make the Blade, even if it doesn't improve performance.
I checked a 'new' Blade and it was off.

Initial balance / right side is heavy
[Linked Image]

2" x 3" piece of paper levels the Blade / so not much needs to come off
[Linked Image]

Final result / repeatability was exceptable
To remove such a small amount of metal, I filed a corner, not the cutting edge
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kira
We lay a dowel down and set the blade atop as if making a see-saw.

I like the Oregon cone EricG linked to. It's how the Sunoco station used to balance our tires.

I do the same thing. Lay the blade on a dowel or 12" extension and center it in the mounting hole. If it stays level, it's balanced.

L8R,
Matt

Originally Posted by atikovi
Why balance mower blades? It's just a pound or two of solid uniform steel. If it's so bent out of shape, you need a new one.

Do you have tires balanced? Same thing but more critical. Being bent has nothing to do with balance. Someone who sharpens a blade and not balances it, doesn't know what they are doing and probably shouldn't be operating power equipment.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lubener
Why balance mower blades? It's just a pound or two of solid uniform steel. If it's so bent out of shape, you need a new one.

Do you have tires balanced? Same thing but more critical. Being bent has nothing to do with balance. Someone who sharpens a blade and not balances it, doesn't know what they are doing and probably shouldn't be operating power equipment.

I agree that balancing is better - it just makes semse. But it's safe to say the majority of people don't sharpen blades (as in, no maintenance required to a machine at all), the majority of those who do sharpen blades don't balance, and even some (maybe all?) new blades come unbalanced. So how much difference does it actually make?

Originally Posted by MrMoody
1. Even if they're cheap, it's a shame to waste them.
2. Even the new ones have doubtful balance.

$30 for the set I just ordered and $12 for the balancer and grinder wheel …
I should be able to wear out the entire machine with those two sets …
If I don't stop the vibration … sooner I'm thinking …
(and mine is shaking) …
Think it will be better for the grass too if I do better at this …

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Mower blades are throw away items now days, like everything else. China.

Honestly I have not had a hard time finding Made In USA mower blades. All the John Deere blades I purchased were made in Usa as well as the aftermarket blades for those mowers. I just bought a new set for our 2003 Honda Harmony and they were made in the USA as well.

Why balance mower blades?

A blade that's off balance creates more wear & stress on the engine crank & main bearings (or deck bearings), not to mention vibrates the mower apart, makes your hands tingle, etc.

I wonder if he thinks the same way regarding his tires.

Originally Posted by 4WD
1. Even if they're cheap, it's a shame to waste them.
2. Even the new ones have doubtful balance.

$30 for the set I just ordered and $12 for the balancer and grinder wheel …
I should be able to wear out the entire machine with those two sets …
If I don't stop the vibration … sooner I'm thinking …
(and mine is shaking) …
Think it will be better for the grass too if I do better at this …

If you have that much vibration, check your Spindle Bearings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back