Please recommend a mower!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by wkcars
Toro commercial line has a mower with honda engine and blade clutch https://www.toro.com/en/professional-contractor/commercial-mowers/21-heavy-duty-honda-bbc-22296

Thanks! Seems pretty awesome, but it is $2K
crazy2.gif

try bringing a mower with a worn out Tecumseh engine into a mower shop and they will laugh you right out the door. there are no parts for these engines these days besides ing coils and air filters

Okay, some more info...

Cub Cadet, Craftsman and Snapper claim to be MUSA. Cub Cadet, Craftsman & Honda (duh ;^) all offer a push mower with a Honda engine. I am currently leaning toward a basic mower with a Honda engine, unless you experts think B&S is just as good. Here is a list of all the push mowers from brands that seem pretty good to me, opinions?

Craftsman M140 (Honda, 2yr)
Cub Cadet SC 100 H (Honda, 3yr)
Honda HRN216PKA (3yr)
Snapper 2691610 (B&S, 3yr)
Toro 21319/21329 (B&S, 2yr)

The Honda is quite a bit more moolah than any of the others, is it worth it compared to the ones with a Honda engine? Unrelated, can the drive system on modern mowers be disabled if it stops working well, remove whatever connects the engine to the wheels? One of my concerns with self-propulsion is that is is one more thing to break/wear out AND I don't need it or want it. Alas, there are no mower currently available that are push but have a clutch blade brake. If I can remove the drive system if/when it stops working, I might still want a blade brake. OTOH, I assume new mowers start easily and killing the engine to empty the bag, etc. is better for air quality...

Thanks again, Doug

Doug, sorry if I missed it in here, but what do you want to spend? I'm assuming a new Toro super recycler is going to cost you close to $500 all-in these days. As said, in terms of mulching ability and effectiveness, Toro Supers are the best of the best and I own an older high dollar Honda and a newer Snapper Commercial series 21" mower. Obviously a present day Toro super isn't going to be built like a tank like the 30yr old ones were. Cheapest route would be to throw a $100 Harbor Freight engine on your old Toro pusher once the engine goes- if it ever does.

no complaints with my toro super recycler every bit as good as the honda's...https://www.toro.com/en/homeowner/walk-behind-mowers/21-personal-pace-spin-stop-20383

Now since the Toro has a Briggs engine and you can get the Super Recycler at Home Depot for $500, to me it's a no-brainer. Briggs engines are every bit as good as Honda for cheaper IMO and some Honda carburetors are a PITA to work on. Some Japanese engineering (looking at you Nikki lawn tractor carburetors lol) isn't all that it's cracked up to be and Briggs is still an American company that makes a lot of its content in the USA still. Edit: make sure you get the SUPER Recycler, not the regular one with a steel deck.

Last edited:
Owned various equipment (mowers, generator, snow blowers, power sprayer) since the 70s with Tecumsehs (up to 357cc) and a B&S in there. The engines never wore out (residential use only), the other stuff on the equipment would wear out and parts become un-available. So I won't pay the premium for Honda powered equipment. Commercial use equipment is probably a different story.

Originally Posted by Silverado12
Now since the Toro has a Briggs engine and you can get the Super Recycler at Home Depot for $500, to me it's a no-brainer. Briggs engines are every bit as good as Honda for cheaper IMO and some Honda carburetors are a PITA to work on. Some Japanese engineering (looking at you Nikki lawn tractor carburetors lol) isn't all that it's cracked up to be and Briggs is still an American company that makes a lot of its content in the USA still. Edit: make sure you get the SUPER Recycler, not the regular one with a steel deck.

cast alum on the super R

If you're not going to pony up 5 or 6 hundred dollars for a (Honda or better) mower, go to Walmart and buy the cheapest self propelled bagger (with a Briggs on it), and mow until it croaks. Don't fall for the 'Snapper' one. It's an MTD/Murray/Yard Machine with Snapper painted on it. With decent care it will last you several years, and you won't shed a tear when it finally dies.

Pretty much what I do with Sears/B&S motor self propelled … get about 7 years out of them and then give them to someone in need. Bought a Craftsman FWD 21" bagger last year for $329 … 7 FP briggs has plenty of power …

If I had to go out and buy a new mower, I think the best value would be a Toro Super Recycler with the personal pace and a Honda engine. The Honda ones seem hard to find so a Briggs will do just fine. After working on mowers for close to 15 years now, I've tried them all, and these would be my favorite.

Yeah, you could go to walmart and buy the cheapest mower they have and probably get 7-10 years out of it if maintained correctly, but the difference between one of the Personal Pace mowers and a cheap walmart mower is you'll actually look forward to cutting the grass.
11.gif

Honorable mentions would be a Honda mower or John Deere aluminum deck walk behind with the Kawasaki engine, but I don't find those to be worth the higher price over what you get with the Toro. My Toro with a Briggs engine is going on 12 years old now, and it runs flawlessly. Starts first pull every time even after sitting all winter long in the shed. My favorite part is how it mulches up everything including leaves into a fine powder.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jeepman3071
If I had to go out and buy a new mower, I think the best value would be a Toro Super Recycler with the personal pace and a Honda engine. The Honda ones seem hard to find so a Briggs will do just fine. After working on mowers for close to 15 years now, I've tried them all, and these would be my favorite.

Yeah, you could go to walmart and buy the cheapest mower they have and probably get 7-10 years out of it if maintained correctly, but the difference between one of the Personal Pace mowers and a cheap walmart mower is you'll actually look forward to cutting the grass.
11.gif

Honorable mentions would be a Honda mower or John Deere aluminum deck walk behind with the Kawasaki engine, but I don't find those to be worth the higher price over what you get with the Toro. My Toro with a Briggs engine is going on 12 years old now, and it runs flawlessly. Starts first pull every time even after sitting all winter long in the shed. My favorite part is how it mulches up everything including leaves into a fine powder.

not to mention the exceptional cutting quality. Albeit sharp blade preferred...

Originally Posted by yeehaw1960
If you're not going to pony up 5 or 6 hundred dollars for a (Honda or better) mower, go to Walmart and buy the cheapest self propelled bagger (with a Briggs on it), and mow until it croaks. Don't fall for the 'Snapper' one. It's an MTD/Murray/Yard Machine with Snapper painted on it. With decent care it will last you several years, and you won't shed a tear when it finally dies.

Agreed!

In all reality, a Walmart cheapy should last many years with normal care and usage. If it doesn't your use or care methods need to be addressed. LOL!.

I find the wheels usually wallow out first on cheapies. Other than that, they run and cut grass just like any of'em.

Like said above, if you're into buying higher-end stuff and appreciate the best mulching you can get, by all means go with a Toro super. Enjoying using a toro super better than a run-o-the mill self propelled? Maybe. Engine make/model doesn't matter to me in this realm of mower today.

My Troy Bilt with a GVC 160 has been going strong for 12 years. Nothing fancy about it. The last two years I've ran my home brew E0 fuel. Oil gets changed every year with what ever mix I have.

My 10yr old Cub Cadet zero turn with Kawasaki engine has given me no problems other than normal wear and tear with blades, belts, pulleys and flat tires. A gumball or stick once popped the deck belt off a pulley.

With all the problems I've had with a commercial grade Landpride zero turn I could never recommend it. Despite being the same age as my mower I've had a lot of hassles with it.

So I Googled "Tecumseh engine makes thumping sound when running" or something like that, and I came across a reference to someone who solved a motor thumping problem by tightening the bolts between the engine and the deck. Lo and behold, when I gave my engine a vigorous shake I could feel it moving a little bit. It appears to attach with only three bolts, and one of them was a few turns loose!

I just spent a couple hours scraping the worst of the goo off of it, tightening the bolts, zip tying some cracks in the shroud that covers the clutch mechanism, greasing the bearing in the clutch pulley, sharpening the blade, and cleaning/oiling the air filter. I also drained the oil and gas, since I knew it was going to be tilted for a while and would be hard to start if I didn't. The oil looked terrible, perhaps my topping it off constantly tactic isn't really working
eek.gif
I refilled it with Delvac 15w-30 after I got it put back together, that seemed most appropriate from my "stash". I think I might mow a few times then drain the oil again, see if it looks any less terrible when it comes out. I would think that HD oil would help clean things out to some degree…

Anyway, it looks like several parts that probably are not replaceable for a reasonable amount or possibly available at all don't have a lot of life left. The friction material in the blade brake is cracked and the rivets are loose. The spring on the clutch cable is wired to the arm, and the cup that goes between the blade bolts and blade isn't far from wearing through from rubbing on stuff. I suppose I'll use it till something breaks that I can't or don't want to replace, not sure I want to make room for two mowers so maybe I won't do anything until then...

Thanks for the suggestions, Doug

I have a 1998 John Deere JX75 I bought off Craigslist about 6 years ago. Green painted Aluminum deck, 5 speed Tuff Tork transaxle, bbc, Kawasaki engine. The seller had bought a new Husqvarna mower and as I was loading up the JX75 I was thinking "dude...you're selling the wrong mower" . I thanked him, gave him $70 and drove away. I brought it home, cleaned the carb and it has started first pull for the last 6 years. IMO the JD JX75 and the JD 14SB are the best mowers ever built! I also bought a 14sb, natural aluminum deck, off Craigslist for $20. The seller said it had a Briggs engine on it as I was loading it. I drove away, knowing it had the Kawasaki engine. These mowers were $600 twenty five years ago.

Originally Posted by gman2304
I have a 1998 John Deere JX75 I bought off Craigslist about 6 years ago. Green painted Aluminum deck, 5 speed Tuff Tork transaxle, bbc, Kawasaki engine. The seller had bought a new Husqvarna mower and as I was loading up the JX75 I was thinking "dude...you're selling the wrong mower" . I thanked him, gave him $70 and drove away. I brought it home, cleaned the carb and it has started first pull for the last 6 years. IMO the JD JX75 and the JD 14SB are the best mowers ever built! I also bought a 14sb, natural aluminum deck, off Craigslist for $20. The seller said it had a Briggs engine on it as I was loading it. I drove away, knowing it had the Kawasaki engine. These mowers were $600 twenty five years ago.

Those are excellent mowers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back