Does anyone rent a push lawn mower for the season?

Landscapers near me charge about 30-40 dollars a cut.
A number of the lawn-mowing guys around here are cutting yards almost 2x a week too. They almost need cut that often too during spring/early summer.

It would have to be almost free to make sense. Used good mowers are practically free as it is. The last two, my two current excellent push mowers, were exactly that. Free on the side of the road. They're generally under 50 bucks for a good working one all day every day.

Or, hire a kid locally.

I find that mowing grass is more aggravation than anything else. I cannot fathom enjoying it.
If the guy wants exercise, can't he just go do exercise?

there's a weird satisfaction in certain tasks, people pay to run a treadmill at the gym, which I think is ridiculous.
I'm with the mow your own lawn crowd, & avoiding the riding tractor set. If the guy doesn't want to mess with the oil & blade sharpening,
good for him. We might be dealing with a stubborn yet active seventy year old cuss here. More power to him.
And I hope he's paying maybe $14/week for it. : )

there's a weird satisfaction in certain tasks, people pay to run a treadmill at the gym, which I think is ridiculous.
I'm with the mow your own lawn crowd, & avoiding the riding tractor set. If the guy doesn't want to mess with the oil & blade sharpening,
good for him. We might be dealing with a stubborn yet active seventy year old cuss here. More power to him.
And I hope he's paying maybe $14/week for it. : )
And maybe that "stubborn yet active seventy year old cuss" is the millionaire next door. You can't tell by appearances, and remember that $10 thing.

Many years ago I tried renting-out lawnmowers at my shop. It didn't work out very good. People used to destroy the mowers. I ended-up losing money on the program.

In my younger, dumber years I had somewhat an opposite opinion. I thought how foolish it was to jog, go to the gym, or otherwise just spend time exercising for the sake of exercise, without really accomplishing anything (measurable work, i.e., cutting and splitting firewood). Worse yet, "waste" your time exercising, then BUY your split firewood, LOL.

I now know better. People all walk in different moccasins, have different values, and derive different experiences from activities, thoughts, etc..
You should see what some people pay for a gym membership or just fitness classes, easily $200-$400 a month.

Yea, Wolf359, even with my head buried in the sand, I am almost aware of that kind of stuff going on. I finally just realized that 1970's pricing no longer exists. I.E., it's hard to find those $3.99 breakfast specials anymore, LOL. My winter gym experience usually involves a cheap visit to the local large university student/staff gym, hoping to catch some eye candy while looking like a chubby, gray haired old fool going into cardiac arrest on the stair machine. The eye candy part never meets my fantasy.

Around here it's $168 for 4 weeks for a push mower. Seems like investing in a cheap one would be the better option.
At that price you would be paying the same as a top of the line Toro or Honda over a 4 month summer. Depending on where you live maybe more. Why not just buy and trade it in every year if you want no maintenance? Or you could give away at the end of the year and be the same as renting.

You should see what some people pay for a gym membership or just fitness classes, easily $200-$400 a month.

I don't feel so bad with my $40/month Y membership.

I probably don't get my money's worth during the summer when I'm outdoors riding more.

But on those rainy days, or when I'm on-call and don't want to be 30 miles from home on a bicycle when the "pager" goes off, it's worth it to me.

Plus I don't need to dedicate a room in the house to hosting weights etc.

Occasionally, (pre-Covid) I'd drop in on the weekday spin classes where all the young, yummy mommies show up to get some exercise in while their kids are off to school.

Sometimes the benefits are more than just your personal workout...

In my younger, dumber years I had somewhat an opposite opinion. I thought how foolish it was to jog, go to the gym, or otherwise just spend time exercising for the sake of exercise, without really accomplishing anything (measurable work, i.e., cutting and splitting firewood). Worse yet, "waste" your time exercising, then BUY your split firewood, LOL.

I now know better. People all walk in different moccasins, have different values, and derive different experiences from activities, thoughts, etc..
I feel the same way. Hand washing my cars saves money and is good aerobic exercise and mowing is walking exercise. My job is physical so I get exercise there too. I hate even the idea of going to a gym lol, but different people think differently than me of course.

LOL at least she is wearing her "walking" shoes!
Women get fully dressed up for any kind of exercise. Usually in the running group there's at least a few of them that have full makeup on including ear rings. In general, a basic rule of running is that for every pound you lose, you get 1% faster. Only works for a few pounds though.

Along those same lines, I was in HD the other day and the guy in the mower dept told me an interesting story. He said I'd be amazed at how many people take advantage of their 90 day satisfaction warranty and wait as late as they can in spring, buy a new mower, use it through the summer and return it in late summer. When I said, the mowing season was a bit longer than 90 days, he said there's two options for them. Buy another mower, or just let it go. He said look around town at how many lawns are really high in the late summer.
I walked away shocked. I can't stand to let my lawn grow too high, it just makes me feel like a bum, but hey, that's really crappy to do something like that.

I feel the same way. Hand washing my cars saves money and is good aerobic exercise and mowing is walking exercise. My job is physical so I get exercise there too. I hate even the idea of going to a gym lol, but different people think differently than me of course.
I go to a gym where it's over $200 a month on the membership. Makes me go though. It's worth it just for the look on people's faces when I tell them the cost. I basically go for the classes although there's a bunch of retired looking folks who seem to go just for the amenities and don't do any of the class which are included like yoga, pilates, spinning, hiit, etc, even has squash, a basketball court and pool. The high cost also keeps out the riff raff, everyone there in general is pretty nice.

Back