Does anyone rent a push lawn mower for the season?

The BETTER yearly service would be, delivery of the proper non-oxy gas with Staibil or Seafoam in it.

Just having to pick up the mower and bring it back would be a PITA. And I would never buy a Toro. I have helped too many people put back on drive belts where you have to take it apart to do it. 5 in one year, from 2 different people. The very rare time any Honda has thrown a belt, it takes a second to put back on.

It would have to be almost free to make sense. Used good mowers are practically free as it is. The last two, my two current excellent push mowers, were exactly that. Free on the side of the road. They're generally under 50 bucks for a good working one all day every day.

Or, hire a kid locally.

I find that mowing grass is more aggravation than anything else. I cannot fathom enjoying it.
If the guy wants exercise, can't he just go do exercise?
My neighbor has a really old riding mower w/V twin Koeler. He sits on it while he is mowing and then has to go to the gym to exercise. We both have large areas to mow. I get my exercise pushing my mower. No gym fee. When I'm done I give myself a $10 tip.

How hot does it get in Wisconsin and for how long?
Before 2005 you never saw more than a day of 100+ a year and humidity actually did occasionally drop below 50%

Now days you do have some years with 30+ days of 100F+ and humidity never falls below 65% resulting in a county wide mold smell.

This year has thankfully only had a little over a week of 100F with mostly high 70’s to high 80’s.

I miss random and variable weather including low humidity like I saw as a boy

I also hate the new insta mold window ax units with a styrofoam block inside that is nearly unclean able. Been having trouble sourcing the cheap portable UVC bulbs you could stick into the vents to slow the mold.

My fathers 1970 window ac ran 42 years, never cleaned, never moldy, this new garbage lucky to make it a week

A lot of old people really resist giving up doing things themselves so I can see some stubborn old guy overpaying for the opportunity to continue doing his own lawn. Don’t have to store it over winter and I’m assuming it comes with free repair/replacement if there’s any problems during mowing season. Personally I’d sooner die than rent a lawnmower but I don’t really like to rent anything.

Around here it's $168 for 4 weeks for a push mower. Seems like investing in a cheap one would be the better option.
Might make sense if you are mowing lawns for a living. No maintenance problems. Tax write off. Old business advice is "If it appreciates buy it, if it depreciates rent it".

I realize this is an old thread.

I just can’t see renting to be a good financial move. This is a mower. Not a car.

$500 buys a decent new mower. If rental is $200 a year or so, im not seeing it. How long does your neighbor expect to live?

Not saying you should or you haven’t, but if my neighbor was doing this, I’d offer to do the maintenance for him or at least “help.”

A cheap push mower living this long isn’t an abnormality.
Something really old probably will last a long time. There's a B&S motor on an old Monkey Wards rototiller that was given to me years ago and I can't break it. New cheap mower might last on a postage stamp yard.

Something really old probably will last a long time. There's a B&S motor on an old Monkey Wards rototiller that was given to me years ago and I can't break it. New cheap mower might last on a postage stamp yard.
I agree with today’s stuff.

A 1998 is likely a tank though.

Some people place more value than others on convenience and avoiding aggravation. For most, the math on renting a mower just can't make financial sense. For others, burning a few bucks a year in order to take "service the lawnmower" off of the to-do list may look like a good deal. By renting the mower, it is also one less thing to worry about when the time comes to downsize and move into a condo or assisted living facility.
Yeah. Not for me, but much cheaper than hiring it out. I can see renting if yours is in the shop for a week or two.

Last edited:
I would think renting a push mower is more of a hassle than just buying a cheapy mower, they'll last many years doing nothing but putting gas in them.

It's $160-$200+ a month to rent one near me, and you still have to at least attempt to clean it up before returning it, plus the hassle of to and from the rental company/phone calls and whatnot.

Before 2005 you never saw more than a day of 100+ a year and humidity actually did occasionally drop below 50%

Now days you do have some years with 30+ days of 100F+ and humidity never falls below 65% resulting in a county wide mold smell.

This year has thankfully only had a little over a week of 100F with mostly high 70’s to high 80’s.
In Wisconsin? o_OI’m in west central N.C. and our hottest day this summer has been 93 degrees F.

I am on the side of getting a cheapo mower from Home Depot and tossing it when it stops working, which could take a couple of seasons up north, maybe less than one in a sunny 12 month a year growing season.

Back