Selecting a new gas mower for residential use

Man as a lover of overkill I would love that kawasaki engine but I think a Toro 21564 would suffice for me. I just dont like a plastic carb.
There isn't anything intrinsically wrong with plastic carburetors. Lawnboy used them for many years and didn't have any problems with them. They have also been used on a large number of small 2-cycle engines (trimmers, blowers, etc) for many years without issue. Additionally, they are not subject to the corrosion problems that are common with metal carburetors using E10.
The problem with the B&S EXi engines are with the camshaft. I think the Briggs has a handle on this but it remains to be seen. FWIW, camshafts are also the problem with current OHC Hondas which has caused them to issue a stop-sale order.

Last edited:
I have a Snapper 21" HiVac and would recommend that mower if you want a sturdy mower with a large engine and decently priced. My only complaint with the mower is the engine governor needed adjustment from new to get the rpms to 3600 and it cuts like a dream now.
The Snapper Hi Vacs are really good at vacuuming and bagging (as long as you can keep the discharge chute from plugging) but they don't do well with mulching. Mulching is the way to go and the Toro Super Recycler is the best mulching mower.
3600 RPMs are too high for a 21" mower, by law. The maximum legal limit is 3400 RPM. On the other side of the coin is engine wear. Anything over 3200 RPM on a splash oil system is really pushing a small engine.

When I recently had to replace my 2011 Honda (someone who shall not be named hit a tree stump and bent the crank so it vibrated RIP) with a Toro Personal Pace RWD as it's just a trim mower. So far so good, starts right up and cannot ask for more from it. Trim mow (under trees and where the 54" cub doesn't fit) 2.5 acres and it does it pretty much on a full tank. I will admit if it was a primary mower, I'd try to find a Honda again as the personal pace function is much prefered over the Toro in my opinion. Toro's is klunky and awkward if turning around to go back and forth a lot.

I own both the Toro Personal Pace Super Recycler and the Honda Self-Propelled with the paddle control and agree with you 100%. My go-to mower is the Honda. While the Toro does mulch slightly better, the Honda cut quality beats it hands down when bagging or discharging the grass clippings.

I will soon be in the market for a new lawn mower. Not a lot of choices out there for a gas mower I see. Troybilt or Toro. Considering they both have Briggs engines are we looking at same reliability for a self propelled version ? It seems I'm too late for the Honda route. Husqvarna makes a pretty nice mower even though it's up there in price. I want something that will last a good long time. What do you guys use ?
What's "a good long time"? 125 buck walmart mowers will last 8-10 years if you keep them inside and maintain them.

Let’s get a clarification here. I understood Honda will still make engines for other lawn mower manufacturers. Is this correct or not.

307454C5-0274-43C6-81B6-4E5E0A3A7D5B.jpeg

Let’s get a clarification here. I understood Honda will still make engines for other lawn mower manufacturers. Is this correct or not.

View attachment 171492
It seems kind of odd. The mowers must have had another profitability issue.

It’s not the engines it seems, they’re still making them. Unless mowers have a different emissions requirement than generators??

Honda partnered with GM for recent EV work, right? It would seem to be a no brainer for them to partner with a power tool company like Makita (who does make and sell their own mowers), for an electric version with the design and bells and whistles of the Honda mower. They didn’t. That makes me think/wonder if the mower itself was the profitability liability.

I have a Honda HRU196 with the GXV160 engines - Its the "go to" mower for serious "lawn people" and contractors here in Australia. I feel like it needs a touch more grunt when powering through tall grass (though people increase the rev limit slightly to overcome this) - But the entire mower is built solid as hell (accordingly, it is a touch heavy for my liking)

It seems kind of odd. The mowers must have had another profitability issue.

It’s not the engines it seems, they’re still making them. Unless mowers have a different emissions requirement than generators??

Honda partnered with GM for recent EV work, right? It would seem to be a no brainer for them to partner with a power tool company like Makita (who does make and sell their own mowers), for an electric version with the design and bells and whistles of the Honda mower. They didn’t. That makes me think/wonder if the mower itself was the profitability liability.
Honda wants to use the manufacturing space for production of their far more profitable 4-wheelers. They also saw the rise in battery powered lawnmowers and decided that they didn't want to be a part of it. It is a shame.
It is also noticeable that MTD has cut way back on gas powered lawnmower production since Stanley Black & Decker bought them.

Last edited:
Yep, no more Honda engines on Toro’s. Www.toro.com . Check the high torque B & S.

View attachment 171493
Yup that 21564 looks pretty sweet. I wonder why you cant get a mower with every bell and whistle? You can get the big engine with electric start but no blade stop. Or you can get a smaller engine with blade stop and no electric start. Why cant I have it all?

Really??!? Do tell! I’m not sure I saw a gas mower for less than $209. I did like the selection of reel mowers.

Hmmm. That didn’t come up with my initial search.

I want to be able to bag like my current one.

This one doesn’t review well, that’s for sure.

IMG_6708.png

IMG_6707.jpg

And then this little curiosity….

IMG_6706.jpg

I don’t use Facebook, where is this located? Mine is still going strong after 10+ years.

The link doesn't work anymore, so it seems to have been sold. It was located in Texas, where the OP is from.

However, if you don't like Facebook, there's always Craigslist.

Back