Laundry detergent and product tampering?

Triple_Se7en

$50 Site Donor 2024
....this time it concerns Laundry Detergent.

I opened my new Tide bottle an hour ago and the color looked slightly different...... darker. I poured some of the detergent into my Tide measuring cap and then into the washing machine to run a load of laundry. What I poured-in appeared thinner. In checking the washing machine 10-15 minutes later, I noticed less suds.

Now mind you, I've been using Tide for over 50 years. What are the odds someone prior returned this detergent bottle to Walmart with another brand inside the bottle, for a refund? I guess it's possible what's washing my clothes right now could be the much cheaper Purex, Arm & Hammer, Xtra.... or any of the lesser expensive soaps.

I don't see a way to stop this madness. It's not like the manufacturer could put a foil seal over the funnel top. Should the manufacturer use a plastic ring on the outside like oil jugs - that when cracked, it proves tampering?

Anyways, I'm puzzled and unsure if I should be ticked-off right now.

People do it with oil filters, which is a niche product. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if it was done with a mainline consumer product like laundry detergent.

There was an old saying about how you wouldn’t go broke underestimating the intelligence of the public.

I would suggest that you can’t go wrong underestimating the integrity of the public.

If it doesn’t look right, it probably isn’t right.

Last edited:
It probably isn't detergent in there, just water. A year or so ago my 90 year old mother commented that they had changed her Arm and Hammer detergent from dark blue to light blue. I poured some of it out and it was just water colored by whatever was leftover in the jug. I went online to the company website just to inform them that people were tampering with their product and robbing their customers and it might time to think about putting seals on the bottle caps. They haven't done anything to the bottle caps but they did send me a coupon for a couple bottles of free detergent.

I’d be peeved, but not alot one can do. Is it worth standing in line to return?

FWIW the wife is trying out detergent strips. Something by Clean People, probably from Amazon.

What are the odds someone prior returned this detergent bottle to Walmart with another brand inside the bottle, for a refund?
I just bought wiper blades for the Durango at Walmart. Get home and one of them was clearly used. The customer service person at Walmart didn't even flinch. She said it happens a lot more than I would believe. I believe it.

I just bought a brake caliper at Autozone that had been installed previously, if not used. It still had some brake fluid in it! First caliper I ever bought that didn't have a plastic plug in the banjo bolt hole (the bolt was there, along with the crush washers. not a plastic plug). It seems to be working just fine fortunately. But it comes on the heels of buying one of those small bottles of brake fluid at Walmart, and finding the foil seal was opened and about 1/4 of the fluid was gone.

I'd guess someone swapped out a cheaper brand for the Tide and returned it. I think it happens all of the time.

Tide is one of the most stolen products out there.. its almost alternate currency.
So I wouldnt doubt someone would return it tampered with.

What surprises me is anyone puts it back on the shelf.. usually its sent to reclamation or destroyed. once anything leaves the store.

;)of course tide is hazardous waste and not allowed to be put into dumpster so it costs.

It probably isn't detergent in there, just water. A year or so ago my 90 year old mother commented that they had changed her Arm and Hammer detergent from dark blue to light blue. I poured some of it out and it was just water colored by whatever was leftover in the jug. I went online to the company website just to inform them that people were tampering with their product and robbing their customers and it might time to think about putting seals on the bottle caps. They haven't done anything to the bottle caps but they did send me a coupon for a couple bottles of free detergent.
Cheaper and easier than adding tamper free caps.

Just my $0.02

What I was told by a friend who works at the Walmart near me in Customer Service. ALL returns being everything --- nothing goes back on the shelves or restocked. It all goes out. You also have to have a receipt for any returns over 10 dollars now. No ifs ands or butts.

What I was told by a friend who works at the Walmart near me in Customer Service. ALL returns being everything --- nothing goes back on the shelves or restocked. It all goes out. You also have to have a receipt for any returns over 10 dollars now. No ifs ands or butts.
They definitely put it back on the shelf at the store in town. Have been there when they were doing it.

....this time it concerns Laundry Detergent.

I opened my new Tide bottle an hour ago and the color looked slightly different...... darker. I poured some of the detergent into my Tide measuring cap and then into the washing machine to run a load of laundry. What I poured-in appeared thinner. In checking the washing machine 10-15 minutes later, I noticed less suds.

Now mind you, I've been using Tide for over 50 years. What are the odds someone prior returned this detergent bottle to Walmart with another brand inside the bottle, for a refund? I guess it's possible what's washing my clothes right now could be the much cheaper Purex, Arm & Hammer, Xtra.... or any of the lesser expensive soaps.

I don't see a way to stop this madness. It's not like the manufacturer could put a foil seal over the funnel top. Should the manufacturer use a plastic ring on the outside like oil jugs - that when cracked, it proves tampering?

Anyways, I'm puzzled and unsure if I should be ticked-off right now.
You got a convenient bottle of premixed concentrate! :poop:

Back