Portable washing machine in the backyard and waste water to irrigate

I got the idea of this outdoor washer setup from SF Water, they actually gave you the detail explanation on how to rig the washer discharge for grey water system and say it does not need permit, so I guess it is legit. However the plan is really for a permanent setup that cost like $2k, and my washer isn't sitting against an exterior wall but rather in the center of the house's living area (it is a floor plan that is very efficient all around except the dryer in the middle, with vent going through the AC / heater duct). I was thinking about manually hook up a pipe every time I wash clothes but it is too much trouble, so the portable outdoor washer seems to be the way to go. Also the ECO detergent seems to be the "better" one for the plants and everyone says use this instead of anything else (including 7th Generation), so that is legit as well.

Main concern is actually how good is portable washer (I don't want to spend $500 to put a big indoor washer outside, or move the washer outdoor seasonally), and how people like keeping a washer in the yard (do they shield it in a shed or just leave it under the sun).

If you speak to anyone from the county health department in my area, they'll tell you most septic systems in my area wind-up bringing waste water to the surface in some way during very wet periods. There's a ton of homes in my area with very old septic systems. Some from 1950s. Mine is from ~1973 and still chugging along with no wet spots coming to the surface and it's processed clothes and dish washing grey water since day one.

I'm not a big fan of front-load washing machines, but it's what you need to have when you're on a septic system. We're very careful of what we put down the drain, take quick showers and I dig up the lids and have my system pumped every 2yrs. One of the keys to a happy, long lived system is don't use fluffy, multi-ply toilet paper. It puts 2-3x the paper pulp load into the system if you use it and will eventually turn into a giant glob of solid paper over time if not vacuumed out.

A septic system's lifespan is directly proportional to the volume of liquid it processes over it's lifetime, but regardless, it's lack of proper maintenance that is the bigger factor determining how long it will function.

Soooooo many practical things to know.

1) Water saving front loaders CANNOT wash as much clothes (weight) as big commercial units. Bought a Maytag and figured that out for myself after 3 loads.....great machine.

2) Monitor any grey water discharge as you may find "slime". Maybe some kind of settling tank in SOME applications?

3) Don't be shocked when some method of dry cleaning becomes "better" that washing in soap & water.

4) JTK's right. I grew up in a small community with many 100+ year old septic systems. You don't wash paint brushes indoors etc. You don't swish coffee grounds down the drain. You compost (this establishes a solid route for scraps). YES on Scott toilet paper. Our systems go 30-40 years between openings. We always find the tank half-full with a nice layer of cheese atop.

5) The BIGGEST problem with septic is true fools who WILL NOT cooperate with water use rules.

We have people in this country who reject the call to save water as a "conspiracy". This ain't political...but certain angry arms of certain political entities have people doubting everything. The sad part is that people will not collectively "turn on". They won't admit there's a water shortage even if they're looking at an empty reservoir.

Stupid people "standing for something". They won't be pushed around. SURPRISE....your water rate's going up 10 fold. "Can you hear me now?"

YES on Scott toilet paper. Our systems go 30-40 years between openings. We always find the tank half-full with a nice layer of cheese atop.
That is an amazingly long time.

Having dealt with contractors in my area who install septic systems, all they'll install new now is sand filter systems. Gravel leach field systems went away years ago, although you can do all the repairs on an old leach field system you want and it's still legit. They say a sand filter system will only last about 30yrs and that's with maintenance.

I've helped folks with issues and have seen scum layers so thick and solid, you have to break it up with spud bars. You could literally walk across it.

Gotta be careful with how thick the scum layer grows because it will eventually choke off the outflow pipe and cause a backup. The backup is what usually clues in the clueless that they now have a problem.

So what if I get a $100 portable washing machine, plug it into 120V outdoor, fill with a garden hose, and let it wash then drain into the garden?

How long do you think you'll want to do this? Other water saving measures are mostly zero effort, doing your clothes washing outside seems like it could get tedious.

Applaud the effort to conserve. (y)

How long do you think you'll want to do this? Other water saving measures are mostly zero effort, doing your clothes washing outside seems like it could get tedious.

Applaud the effort to conserve. (y)
I don't know, until wife start giving up gardening because washing clothes outside is more annoying? or hate the trashy looky backyard because of this nonsense? To be honest it may never payoff the initial cost, despite we pay about $70 of water every 2 months (the other part of the bill is sewage and trash), and I suspect lawn uses about 1/4 of that which probably cost about $5 a month to water more, plus ECO brand stuff isn't cheap so we may never recoup the cost ever.

The point though is she loves gardening and we already do every single kind of water saving measures we can think of, we are probably the lowest use family on the block.

I did this for years when I lived in the Cambrian area of San Jose.
The washer was in the garage; just ran a hose out to the side lawn.
I lived on a corner lot with a lotta grass. I just moved the hose around.

I hate lawns, as I have been cutting grass since I was little. I have trees and chips now.
I hate lawns and we are in draught again.
Did I say I hate lawns?
I’m on board with you Jeff. Currently in Texas in a residential neighborhood with one acre tracts. Every 5 days mowing and edging take place and I hate it. Came from Arizona for a brief stay and I’m ready to go back to Az zero scape. Won’t miss grass (and everything that goes with it) one bit.

A lack of grass is easy maintenance but with a kid and a dog I couldn't imagine having a rock yard with no or little grass.

Back