Laundry detergent and product tampering?

Laundry is the one thing I overthink. What gets me is someone having an expensive 3500 SF custom home built with 2 adults and 4 kids and one washer and dryer. But they buy a higher trim model vehicle for $3K that could have been spent having 2 washer & dryers and making laundry an easier chore. Have you or your spouse ever done load after load of laundry?

I prefer Persil Pro Clean over Tide. On clothes I want to fade slower, I avoid detergents with optical brighteners in them. Woolight Darks is the best detergent in my experience if you want to slow your clothes from fading, Purex Natural Elements works good, too. If anyone here thinks washing doesn't fade clothes, look at the used garments at a Salvation Army store.

This reminds me of a time we needed carpet shampoo and my wife texted me asking me to get a bottle on the way home from work. She ended up having to run to a store so she grabbed a bottle. I decided to return the one I bought and the return lady at Walmart opened it up and sniffed it. I said to her, "you're kidding ? People buy this, use it, and return it with water or soap or something?" and she said, "yeap, all the time...".

Laundry is the one thing I overthink. What gets me is someone having an expensive 3500 SF custom home built with 2 adults and 4 kids and one washer and dryer. But they buy a higher trim model vehicle for $3K that could have been spent having 2 washer & dryers and making laundry an easier chore. Have you or your spouse ever done load after load of laundry?

I prefer Persil Pro Clean over Tide. On clothes I want to fade slower, I avoid detergents with optical brighteners in them. Woolight Darks is the best detergent in my experience if you want to slow your clothes from fading, Purex Natural Elements works good, too. If anyone here thinks washing doesn't fade clothes, look at the used garments at a Salvation Army store.

The wife / mom has a rotating laundry schedule so nothing overlaps.

I would have been concerned about whatever it was damaging my clothes. 😵‍💫

Could have been water and pond dye.

I find it hard to imagine someone so skint as to need to return a bottle of detergent having carefully decanted the product and then refiling with water and some coloring.
I seems that it happens, though.
I recall years ago being approached by a rather grizzled guy offering to sell me packages of new Energizers at a deal price. I declined and walked on. Could those batteries have been shoplifted? LOL!

About 20 years ago, I bought a Coleman battery powered lantern from WalMart. I got it home, there was a lantern inside, but it was not a Coleman, and looked very different from the lantern pictured on the box.

I assume somebody bought a Coleman lantern from Walmart, substituted the bogus lantern into the box, and then returned it. And it got put back on the shelf without a close inspection. Yep, someone probably bought Tide, took some or all of it out, and replaced it with cheapo stuff.

By the way, the active ingredient in almost all laundry detergents and shampoos is Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, diluted and perfumed. The more effective consumer product has a higher concentration, and the cheap stuff has a lower concentration.

Been a victim of this sort of scam a few times.

One was a gallon can of Minwax wood stain. No matter how much i mixed and shook the can of stain, the contents would barely stain the wood. Someone must have refilled the can with thinner and returned it to HD. This was so long ago, i don‘t even think i knew people scammed like that.

Recently bought a higher quality rotary pressure washer attachment from Walmart. Got home, and found that someone stuffed a cheaper version in the box. Back it went!

Mind boggling what some people do. No ethics, conscience…

I should have mentioned earlier that the specific Tide I use is the Free & Gentle (white jug).
I'm doing a load of whites tomorrow. So I'll know more after that wash and again in about one week.
If I begin itching & scratching my skin next week, that will signal this isn't Tide Free & Gentle.

I will investigate a switch to Pods. I may even consider changing brand names and try Sheets.
Tru Earth, Earth Breeze and ECOS are three I read about today.
Or, maybe I'll just start buying Tide from Costco or Sams Warehouses instead. I just joined BJ's this week ($20 deal) and did not see the Free & Gentle. All they carried yesterday was the red bottle Tide.

It should be noted that on a consumer level products are changed ALL THE TIME with no notice to the end user. One has to assume there are also "off-spec" batches that make it though the "QC" process time to time.

It's foolish to think otherwise.

Been a victim of this sort of scam a few times.

One was a gallon can of Minwax wood stain. No matter how much i mixed and shook the can of stain, the contents would barely stain the wood. Someone must have refilled the can with thinner and returned it to HD. This was so long ago, i don‘t even think i knew people scammed like that.

Recently bought a higher quality rotary pressure washer attachment from Walmart. Got home, and found that someone stuffed a cheaper version in the box. Back it went!

Mind boggling what some people do. No ethics, conscience…
OR-it was simply a "bad batch".

I should have mentioned earlier that the specific Tide I use is the Free & Gentle (white jug).
I'm doing a load of whites tomorrow. So I'll know more after that wash and again in about one week.
If I begin itching & scratching my skin next week, that will signal this isn't Tide Free & Gentle.

I will investigate a switch to Pods. I may even consider changing brand names and try Sheets.
Tru Earth, Earth Breeze and ECOS are three I read about today.
Or, maybe I'll just start buying Tide from Costco or Sams Warehouses instead. I just joined BJ's this week ($20 deal) and did not see the Free & Gentle. All they carried yesterday was the red bottle Tide.
I’ve tried the Tide Free and Gentle, that even makes me itch. All Free and Clear doesn’t.

What I was told by a friend who works at the Walmart near me in Customer Service. ALL returns being everything --- nothing goes back on the shelves or restocked. It all goes out. You also have to have a receipt for any returns over 10 dollars now. No ifs ands or butts.
They absolutely put it back on the shelf here. I stop in at Walmart very early in the morning, and the ladies in the front return desk are loading up baskets or stuff to restock. I think it depends on what you tell them on return. If you say you didn't open it, I think they take your word for it mostly. If you say you did open it - it goes somewhere else.

Back