Latest Discount Tire Experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
One my way home from airport this afternoon, I85 North. Not quite halfway home start to hear a strange noise, couldn't make it out, sounded like could be a tire but no warning light and car seemed level. Go further while looking for a safe place to pull over, then sound stopped but tire warning light went on. Able to get safely to break down lane. Got out, flat tire left rear, luckily no apparent damage to alloy wheel. Worst part of changing tire is keeping an eye on oncoming traffic and the heat.

Off to Discount Tire on the way home. Counter guy looks at tire and spots the puncture/hole immediately. In a repairable area but I told him I wasn't interested in repairing because it had been driven briefly on the sidewall. Didn't look bad but not something I'd risk.

The tire is an OE Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max with ~3700 miles. So then I ask "can you get me an adjusted price on new tire?"

His first reply, 'manufacturers don't warrant OE like the replacement tires'.

And I'm thinking... [censored]. So I said (true story), 'this DT store got my son an adjusted price on a punctured BFG OE tire by calling Michelin. Then he says "we can try and call Goodyear Dunlop and check." I thought, that's more like it.

Got number and on the phone to GY, gave tire info, on phone a bit. Looks up and says don't have tire in stock but could have tomorrow or I could take a similar GY tire they had. I said I'll wait till tomorrow. Final price for new tire $34.

Experience has done nothing to diminish my opinion of DT, still the only place I'll buy tires. But being a knowledgeable consumer combined with being a little assertive always helps get the best outcome in my experience. And, likely didn't hurt that there's many sets of tires purchased in their computer. Good folks at DT.

DT/(AT) are dedicated tire and wheel sales and service stores, no other services. Likely why they are so good at what they do, in my experience. They do not do alignments.

Glad you had a good experience. But someone not in the know as you could have a different outcome.
I'm wondering if Goodyear is really responsible for your flat tire?
Do you normally try to milk things out of people at the expense of others?

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Glad you had a good experience. But someone not in the know as you could have a different outcome.
I'm wondering if Goodyear is really responsible for your flat tire?
Do you normally try to milk things out of people at the expense of others?

You're worried about a big corporation?

My only gripe about DT are their balance machines. I understand they're Hunters but I can get a rotate/balance and drive out with perfectly vibe-free tires, 50 miles later a balance weight falls off, go back to store and it can be balanced five or six times and still have vibrations, then it takes them having to ride match the rim and tires. Annoying as [censored].

FYI, this isnt a DTD experience, GY is eating the tire for you. We do this all the time for our customers. Its called a Good Faith Adjustment. But as evident, I guess DTD gets the kudos instead of the MFC.

Quote:
I'm wondering if Goodyear is really responsible for your flat tire?....

Someone not as in the know may not have had as satisfactory an outcome. However, seeing as I had a precedent experience with the BFG OE tire puncture and Michelin at 'their'(DT) suggestion, made asking about the GY being covered logical. Couldn't hurt to ask, and apparently Goodyear felt it a reasonable request because they are covering most of it according to the counter guy. So, responsible from the stand point of covering the puncture and loss of tire, Goodyear must have thought so. Bottom line is the old adage, never hurts to ask as worst they can say is no. And now others reading this are more in the know too.
56.gif

Left out your other comment as a pointless flame, serious or not.

As for the anecdotal balance experience, purchased many tires from DT and never had a similar one. Service during and after the sale always been excellent 'for me'. Guess if I had similar though repeatedly, I'd go elsewhere. I just haven't found reason to do so.

Originally Posted By: bourne
FYI, this isnt a DTD experience...

Correct, as title says this is a Discount Tire b&m store experience. DTD is sister online company.

that is a good to hear story.

I also had luck with Firestone Instant Autocare doing an OE prorated warranty some turanzas that were cracking on the sidewalls into the tread. Bridgestone had no issues with warranting the OE tire. I used the prorated warranty and got a good price on 4 new Ecopia 422s for my previous Mazda3.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
I also had luck with Firestone Instant Autocare doing an OE prorated warranty some turanzas that were cracking on the sidewalls into the tread.

I had bad luck with them. My first experience was good when replacing the Civic tires. Then I put some new Firestone Assurance tires on the 99 Accord. I noticed all the wheel weights came off the alloy wheels so I took it back. They put new ones on and those came off. Called and talked to the manager who said if I'm not getting any vibration then the car really doesn't need them. Tires start making noise so I take it to a different Firestone location who agreed to prorate a 60k tire with less than 30k on them. Each tire would be $93 installed after tax and fees. I said forget it and went to a different tire place and had some Kellys installed.

4 of 6 sets on the road from DT - smaller town store - they always say we're going to do you right - steady client - they just adjusted some BFG's for wearing too fast - they brought it up, not me.
Also, our Ford Fusion has factory GY's - asked them how much to rotate ? Nothing -
And the kicker? - they are next to Denny's - how do you want those eggs ?

I wish we had Discount Tire around me. At least they have DTD. Great service in my experiences with them too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back