Last time you purchased new vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gitos post proves my point. (Even though it's an extreme example)There is a transaction cost to buying a car that is separate and apart from depreciation.

It's higher with a succession of used cars Mostly, it is the cost of selling wholesale and buying retail, but it includes the risk of a miscalculation or bad luck every time there is a transaction. It includes the cost of tire-kicking. It includes the transaction taxes. Those are real, if hidden costs. They are always higher for the used car buyer than for the new car buyer willing to take care of and hold on to his car.

I'm not saying that this always outweighs buying used—-not by a long shot. But it should be taken into account.

jimbrewerThey are always higher for the used car buyer than for the new car buyer willing to take care of and hold on to his car. I'm not saying that this always outweighs buying used—-not by a long shot. But it should be taken into account.[/quote said:
This is what we do with our personal vehicles. We tend to buy carefully, pay down quickly or purchase outright, and then drive them for many years.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Most people on here have probably never purchased a new car
laugh.gif

That used to be me. But i've done a 180 on that. When you look at the miles on a vehicle and the cost vs new vs interest rate, new is how i bought the last 2 cars and they are the first new cars i have bought. Plus i did not want a used car that had been run on 0w or 5w 20 oil.

Last? 2015 Outback in Oct of that year. Previous? 2004 Dodge Ram 2wd manual.

Both traded/took a loss withn 1 year. In the case of the Dodge, for capability of 4wd. For the Subaru it was ergonomics, could not get comfortable no matter what I tried.

On Dec. 4, 2014 I bought my wife's 2015 Toyota 4Runner. The 4Runners keep their resale value so well it made more sense to buy new. I never plan on selling it, so I'm not worried about resale value.

As an update to my post last week, my last car buy was this weekend!

2018 Camry Hybrid SE in Super White.

[Linked Image]

While I will miss my xB I've had since 2007 that was totaled, I can get spoiled by the Camry… The quiet cabin, better suspension (better isolation while still remaining firm and planted) amongst many other things in terms of feature set… Dynamic cruise which is incredible, for one.

Really drives far more ‘luxury' than I would have thought a Camry would be. Toyota did an incredible job with the 18/19's, I will admit. Really dig it in super white with some light window tint added… I went with 50% all around due to Ohio's tint laws, 50% max for the front side windows. Toyota glass is about 70-75% from the factory, so 50% added on top of that brings it to about 38% VLT. Still illegal, but so minor it shouldn't catch any attention… With the super white and dark interior, it really looks nice.

Haven driven the Hybrid LE all week (parents car) while my car situation was worked out, I really got to enjoy the way hybrid drove. At the dealer, I did test drive the non-hybrid models, but I will admit they are not nearly as fun believe it or not. The hybrid models have better throttle response, more power (well, at least feel it due to response) and have the MPG benefit to boot. My SE model is good for I think 44mpg city and 47mpg freeway vs the higher LE models in the low 50's mainly due to the larger wheels… With 206 HP and the benefits mentioned, you can't go wrong. It makes it's a fun care to drive! The SE suspension is really nice as well, love how it feels on the road.

Traded in my 2015 Mazda 3 S GT hatchback on Saturday for a 2019 Toyota 86 TRD SE. I always wanted a sports car and ogled Datsun Z's, Supra's, Alfa Romeo Spider's, Corvettes etc. So this is my midlife crisis car. Obviously loving it so far but it has only been 2 days. I haven't owned a manual trans car since 1993. I have to work on shift smoothness but it is like riding a bike

Don

Originally Posted by Dadillac
Traded in my 2015 Mazda 3 S GT hatchback on Saturday for a 2019 Toyota 86 TRD SE. I always wanted a sports car and ogled Datsun Z's, Supra's, Alfa Romeo Spider's, Corvettes etc. So this is my midlife crisis car. Obviously loving it so far but it has only been 2 days. I haven't owned a manual trans car since 1993. I have to work on shift smoothness but it is like riding a bike

Don

Very nice Don! Be sure to post up some pics of your new ride!

Originally Posted by Patman
Originally Posted by Dadillac

Don

Very nice Don! Be sure to post up some pics of your new ride!

Thanks. I'll post some pics when I get a chance to clean it up. Already dirty had rain yesterday

Don

Never. Closest we've come is buying an ex-loaner Versa with 1,500 miles on it. Now has just over 40k.
Bought my XTerra in February of this year with 160k on it. Needed a bit of work.
Tacoma was given to me by my dad, but it wasn't new.
Bought my Cavalier with 40k on it in 2006, has needed a fuel pump and A/C compressor in 12 years and over 100,000 miles. Still drive it almost every day.
Just bought my Mustang a week ago with 110k on it. Also needs a bit of work, then it will replace the Cavalier.

Last edited:
4 weeks ago......2018 Lexus RX 350

This is the second Lexus, and the first one was flawless.

Great cars!

April 2011, a 2011 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4WD ext. cab, 2.7 4 cylinder and 5 speed manual. Later sold it and bought and older first gen model with 4 doors, V6 and automatic transmission. I much prefer the size and feel of the 04, the 11 was almost big enough to be a full size truck! Not saying it was a bad truck, other than heinously underpowered and not much in cab carrying space, no normal sized adult could ride in the backseat of that thing in reasonable comfort. Plus when my wife (then girlfriend) and I got together and I went from having one dog to 4 big dogs, a bigger cab was needed. Plus I was tired of daily driving a stick at that point.

293878_157778401030834_1305798131_n.jpg

IMG_7251.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back