Last time you purchased new vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought 2018 Mazda CX-5 Sport (base) AWD. Just sold 2004 Silverado LT 4X2, 127,000 miles bought new, rusty. Kept 2008 Saturn VUE AWD 59,000 miles bought new. GM just replaced six speed automatic under special warranty. I just shelled out $$$ for new exhaust. Dealer part, one piece from converters back to stainless tips. I like new cars. Keep them clean and we'll maintained.

I bought a new 1993 Toyota 4WD PU with the famous 22RE engine and AT.
$14K out the door... Not the strippie base model, a middle of the line model.
Still in service and still in demand.
Never broke down; asks for very little.
Of course, this is the exception to the rule.

My first and so far only new car was bought in 2005, a Toyota Echo hatchback which I still daily drive.

I've been wanting to change a few times since, but then I remember how nice it is not to have any car payments and the urge goes away after a few days.

Most people on here have probably never purchased a new car
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by MCompact
Originally Posted by Patman
My Corvette was the first new car I've bought since 1999 (that was a 2000 Civic) and it'll probably be the last new car I buy for a long time, because when the BMW needs replacing we'll buy another one that is about 3-4 years old (and half the price of new) The Honda only needs to last me 4 years and then when we retire we'll just have two cars.

I've only bought two new BMWs(one of which I've owned for going on 23 years). Most every other one has been a 2-3 year old CPO cars. Depreciation is my friend.

My original plan was to buy a used C7 Corvette, because the previous three Corvettes that I had bought were all used and I paid half the cost of a new one (they were in the 6-8 year old range at the times of purchase) But this time around the used C7s in my area just weren't dropping in price by very much, I was seeing 2014s and 2015s still in the $55,000 to $65,000 range last summer (all the good ones were closer to $65k). I ended up getting my brand new 2018 exactly how I wanted it for $63,000. (all prices in Canadian dollars)

I still own the second new vehicle that I bought which is my 1998 Chevy K1500. I like buying new and taking care of them like I want to. Truck now has 135,000 miles on it and is still in great shape.

The 1998 K3500 in my signature I bought used in 2007 with 94,600 miles on it and it had a lot of issues compared to my 98 K1500. I ended up spending a lot of money on it to correct issues that were not apparent when I first bought it. Probably the difference in how I take care of things vs how the previous owners of the K3500 took care of it.

Every used vehicle I have ever bought needed some type of work soon after purchase and is why as I get older, I don't feel like dealing with that kind of stuff. I'm sure I will buy at least one more new vehicle unless they price themselves out of my range.

Last week. I've owned 10 cars and this became my first new purchase. It was an adventure, but I found a dealer that was straight up and honest. Five years of paying is going to suck, but I'll be the only owner of this vehicle, so my obsessive maintenance will be worth it.

January 2005: 05 Saturn ION 1 [The ONION]. Just turned 70,000 miles yesterday on a trip back from LA.

Before that my first new car 99 Cavalier 2 door. Simple, yester-tech OHV 4, proven mechanicals, widespread parts and service availability, long produced platform.

Earlier, my first nice used car: an 8 year old 86 Olds Calais with 21,000 miles on it. Back in my driveway after being elsewhere in the family with 130,000 miles on it.

First modern used car: 84 Citation II notchback. Traded for the Olds above.

And since 1980: 63 Plymouth Valiant Signet 2 door hardtop with 113,000 miles [likely 213,000 miles], still driving it.

I'd still have the Cavalier, but it was destroyed in a rearender, Hence the ION, which I bought instead of a Cobalt [ selection sucked, over optioned ].

There are not too many new cars I'd go into debt for. I can think of one or two, but that's it.

Last edited:
Oct 1990. Purchased a brand new 1991 Honda Civic Si 3dr Hatchback, color Rio Red.

Currently has 508k miles on the original engine. Might be replacing head gasket due to possible head gasket leak. Valve stem seals also shot. Car runs and does not over heat.

11 Years ago when I got my 2008 Scion xB... Then I was just in that accident (likely totaled) so will buying a new car shortly here... My brother is a top regional salesperson at a local Toyota dealer, so guess what i'm getting? So as you can expect, the buying process is easy as can be and usually results in great deals as he can basically sell it at cost or close to it. And accessories or other things (such as window tint) he can do really cheap if I want it. So that helps.

Likely going for a 2019 Camry Hybrid SE in Super White. He ordered one in that I can check out when it arrives from wherever its coming from (they have no SE's on the lot or even in the state, supposedly).

I'd buy used, but I like knowing the history and care of the car. I know I can save even more money, but I just like starting "new".

I bought one brand new car in my life - a 2014 Subaru Crosstrek for my wife. Only did it to make the wife happy. I have no desire to buy a brand new car ever again.

Originally Posted by Gito
Oct 1990. Purchased a brand new 1991 Honda Civic Si 3dr Hatchback, color Rio Red.

Currently has 508k miles on the original engine. Might be replacing head gasket due to possible head gasket leak. Valve stem seals also shot. Car runs and does not over heat.

You certainly got your money's worth and more out of that Honda.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Most people on here have probably never purchased a new car
laugh.gif

This is probably a very safe statement. Most have not. Those who do so (purchase/lease) are sometimes ridiculed on this forum. Statements such as "rich people don't lease, new car depreciation is horrible"-(NOT TRUE depending on the vehicle, etc.)

Buying a new service van right now. 2019 Chevy Express 3500.

Bought my last personal vehicle in 2015, my RAM.

We buy new frequently, especially for our biz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back