Larger substitute for Toyota 2az-fe (Fram 4386)?

I’m doing some aggressive chemical stuff to hopefully ungunk my 2az-fe engine. The specified OEM equivalent Fram filter is the 4386. Is there a larger substitute with more filter media? Longer would be better but there might be room for something fatter. I want as much surface area as possible to catch any stuff that might be dislodged by my solvent treatment.

if you've got the extra width in the filter area and enough gasket surface which i believe you do but double check a ph3600 can do. Now if you have gobs of length, width, and gasket surface a ph8a would screw on but it'd be as big as the engine lol. But i don't think a filter that big would fit unless you tried it. I mean you can buy it and cleanly try it and if it doesn't just return it. But I think a ph3600 will do just fine and i think it will fit. Others say they've had it fit on theirs.

Last edited:
if you've got the extra width in the filter area and enough gasket surface which i believe you do but double check a ph3600 can do. Now if you had gobs of length, width, and gasket surface a ph8a would screw on but it'd be as big as the engine lol. But i dont think a filter that big would fit unless you tried it. i mean you can buy it and cleanly try it and if it doesnt just return it. But i think a ph3600 will do just fine and i think it will fit. Others say they've had it git on theirs.

Yeah man I was thinking the same thing like the pH 3600 too would work.

I once used a cheap purolator made 3600 (20195) that was 1/2-3/4 inches shorter than the "real" 3600. Their jobber line and Pep Boys store brand were this smaller can.

I liked it on my saturn s-series because it was enough to stick out from its hidey hole and was easier to grab to change, but not so long it rubbed on a fender liner.

The XG series has more capacity than an EG or TG. Some of these brands have very large center tubes, and the media is not so deep. Some waste height in the can. The can size is not the whole story.

Back