Large Tongue and Groove Pliers: Channellock vs. Knipex

Some here seem to forget that he is talking about 20 inch long pliers. I have the next size down and they are plenty big enough for oil filters and other odd ball stuff I might encounter. I can't imagine using these pliers for any kind of close clearance or delicate work. So my choice would be the Channellocks. He's not a journeyman pipe fitter.
1685102677344.png
1685102543147.png

Last edited:
for years i carryed knipex ten inch alligator pliers in my tool belt,they lasted and worked very well,channel lock are good but next in line,,also to note Klien has a new adjustable plier out now and look really nice,they are made in germany,but look different some what to knipex

But there were TWO versions of the Klein at HD. I got one of them (don't remember which exactly now) on clearance around $8.50:

This guy compares the two different versions of the Klein

A few times a year, I find myself in a situation where having a large pair of tongue-and-groove pliers would be handy. Application is usually automotive or household plumbing.

I am considering the Channellock 480 or the Knipex Cobra XXL (87 01 560). Is there any reason to spend double for the Knipex?
So I truly don't mean to be condescending, but have you handled 20" adjustable pliers like this? They're almost gag-gift comically large for most automotive and household plumbing tasks.

For decades I've had some 16" Channelocks and those are far more practical while still being "large."

Only recently did I want something bigger to try to twist the plastic caps off water/chemical totes (the same thing propylene glycol comes in for de-icing planes) and I opted for the Doyles from HF because 1) I'll likely use them once every four years and 2) anything that large is going to be relatively low torque OR other methods are coming out like pipe wrench, blue wrench, welder, air hammer, excessive profanity

https://www.harborfreight.com/20-in-high-performance-groove-joint-pliers-64460.html

I have a set of these 20" Doyle pliers from Harbor Freight. They have held up as good or better than both my Channel Locks or Knipex.

You were seconds ahead of me! But I have not used mine extensively and don't ever intend to -- as I said, if it REQUIRES the size capacity of a 20" plier and puts up a hint of a fight, more medieval methods are coming out!!

You were seconds ahead of me! But I have not used mine extensively and don't ever intend to -- as I said, if it REQUIRES the size capacity of a 20" plier and puts up a hint of a fight, more medieval methods are coming out!!
I used mine to open a large pipe union that had been exposed to weather for years. It opened right up with no problem with the 20" Doyle's. They have A LOT of leverage!

I buy about one new pair of Channellock 480 per year. I prefer them because the large straight jaws fit my work much better (2-4" diameter pipes, filter housings, and mechanical work).

I really like the Knipex aggressive teeth, but the jaws appear a bit smaller.

(I buy new Channellocks because my workplace has corrosive chemicals that tend to make tools go away after awhile.🍺)
You are correct. Technically they are two different jaw types and the knipex cobras are smaller than the Channellocks.

1685122141467.png

There's something about Channellocks that if you breath on them with too much moisture in your breath, they turn into a Titanic.
They don't rust any worse than Snap-On pliers. If anything, Snap-On pliers are the worst offender for rusting; they rust more than all of my other pliers combined!
So I truly don't mean to be condescending, but have you handled 20" adjustable pliers like this? They're almost gag-gift comically large for most automotive and household plumbing tasks.

For decades I've had some 16" Channelocks and those are far more practical while still being "large."
Valid question/point - I have not.

Like anything else, having access to a range of sizes can be useful. But....22" does seem borderline ludicrous. Currently, my largest pliers are the Channellock 440 (2.25" jaw capacity) - having something a bit larger would be nice, so maybe something in the 16" range is a happy medium?

Only recently did I want something bigger to try to twist the plastic caps off water/chemical totes (the same thing propylene glycol comes in for de-icing planes) and I opted for the Doyles from HF because 1) I'll likely use them once every four years and 2) anything that large is going to be relatively low torque OR other methods are coming out like pipe wrench, blue wrench, welder, air hammer, excessive profanity

https://www.harborfreight.com/20-in-high-performance-groove-joint-pliers-64460.html
I agree and my 16 inchers seem huge. I use them about a half dozen times a year. To me, their use is similar to adjustable wrench use - something you grab for quick and dirty, ease of use, convenience, etc.. Not for precision fastener removal. With plumbing, unless it is low torque stuff, I also agree with you that one should grab the correct tool such as a pipe wrench.

I love my 16" Knipex Cobras. Not a huge fan of Channel Locks. We have them at work. They perform acceptably well but I prefer Knipex just about every time some sort of pliers comes into play.
I was looking for a deal on the 20" Knipex pliers and was finding nothing. Those HF Doyles are perfect. I have two pair of them in smaller sizes in my work kit. Also the little 4" Knipex Cobras.

I have a set of these 20" Doyle pliers from Harbor Freight. They have held up as good or better than both my Channel Locks or Knipex.

What are you doing to determine thst these hold up as good or better than others? Someone else talked about working in caustic chemicals. You don’t exactly have an environment conducive to rusting….

What are you doing to determine thst these hold up as good or better than others? Someone else talked about working in caustic chemicals. You don’t exactly have an environment conducive to rusting….

I wasn't referring to rust. As you mentioned it isn't an issue out here in a desert climate. I was talking about the jaw teeth remaining sharp. I've had several sets of Channel locks, and a pair of Irwin's that dulled the jaw teeth very easily. On mild steel pipe no less.

The Doyle pliers have stayed very sharp, even after I used them to pull out a hardened pin. The jaws slipped some, but didn't dull. I'm guessing that's because they're harder.

I have no idea how they're manufactured, or to what hardness. But I'm assuming it's a type of flame induction process. The comment about the rust was referring to the OP's post.

But there were TWO versions of the Klein at HD. I got one of them (don't remember which exactly now) on clearance around $8.50:

This guy compares the two different versions of the Klein

The Klein are rebranded German NWS MX Max, Milwaukee is doing it with some of their better pliers also. NWS makes good tools.

NWS MX.jpg

those kleins look awsome,,,as to say on this subject of pliers of this design,has anyone have any experence of crecent z-2 auto-bite pliers,,was looking at them and appeared nice ,have a locking mechanism to hold the adj,in one spot ,see they are made in Vietnam,rather decent price

I used mine to open a large pipe union that had been exposed to weather for years. It opened right up with no problem with the 20" Doyle's. They have A LOT of leverage!
For the couple time usage a year, the Harborfreight tools work well. They also have 10" and 16", and I believe an Icon in the smaller sizes. Doyle 20" has my vote

Back