Large Tongue and Groove Pliers: Channellock vs. Knipex

A few times a year, I find myself in a situation where having a large pair of tongue-and-groove pliers would be handy. Application is usually automotive or household plumbing.

I am considering the Channellock 480 or the Knipex Cobra XXL (87 01 560). Is there any reason to spend double for the Knipex?

The knipex are a bit sleeker in every way. Thinner, narrower, etc. at the larger sizes I doubt it makes a difference. I’d probably go with the Channellock.

I buy about one new pair of Channellock 480 per year. I prefer them because the large straight jaws fit my work much better (2-4" diameter pipes, filter housings, and mechanical work).

I really like the Knipex aggressive teeth, but the jaws appear a bit smaller.

(I buy new Channellocks because my workplace has corrosive chemicals that tend to make tools go away after awhile.🍺)

I have a pair of Channellock 480 Big Azz pliers. They're awesome. Used the same pair professionally for about 10 years. Most common use is compressing brake caliper pistons. The handles are springy so they are really good at maintaining constant tension. Highly recommended.

I have several of both , but not that big.
The cobra is slimmer and fits in better spaces.
The teeth are sharper on the cobra but smaller.
The channellock teeth are larger and more coarse.

It you don't use it a lot , maybe channellock.

Too bad they don't offer comfort grip on the large knipex. I'd buy that if it was offered.

I have a larger off brand 16 or 18 inch set that I got at tractor supply on sale years ago. It's a knipex copy but not as good. In the last pic.
IMG_20230525_213435826.jpg
IMG_20230525_213549479.jpg
IMG_20230525_213642715.jpg

IMG_20230525_215022795.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230525_214703513.jpg
    IMG_20230525_214703513.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Is there any reason to spend double for the Knipex?
You're kidding right? There's no comparison. The Knipex Cobra has gotten me out of a lot of jambs. Nothing grabs better than a Knipex Cobra for a variety of shapes and sizes. I am absolutely astounded that you're never tried some. I thought you were a tool connoisseur. 😄

You're kidding right? There's no comparison. The Knipex Cobra has gotten me out of a lot of jambs. Nothing grabs better than a Knipex Cobra for all kinds of shapes and sizes. I am absolutely astounded that you're never tried some. I thought you were a tool connoisseur. 😄
I own a pair of the 87 51 250. Aside from the extra slim jaws, they don’t seem to be anything special. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I get that the teeth are finer, but I guess I have never encountered a situation where they had a significant advantage over the coarser teeth.

I own a pair of the 87 51 250. Aside from the extra slim jaws, they don’t seem to be anything special. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I get that the teeth are finer, but I guess I have never encountered a situation where they had a significant advantage over the coarser teeth.
There's a lot more to them than their teeth. They're designed to pull a cylindrical object into their jaws. And for hex shaped objects, they grip the corners. It's one of those things where you have to be in the right situation to experience their advantage and when you do, you'll never consider anything else.

You're kidding right? There's no comparison. The Knipex Cobra has gotten me out of a lot of jambs. Nothing grabs better than a Knipex Cobra for a variety of shapes and sizes. I am absolutely astounded that you're never tried some. I thought you were a tool connoisseur. 😄
I actually don't own any Knipex at all. I acquired all my pliers at least 20 years ago. Knipex weren't much of a thing at the time at least in my shop, I never saw anyone using them. They do look great though, the pliers-wrench especially!

I actually don't own any Knipex at all. I acquired all my pliers at least 20 years ago. Knipex weren't much of a thing at the time at least in my shop, I never saw anyone using them. They do look great though, the pliers-wrench especially!
Just get one pair; maybe a 7 or 10 inch. You'll never go back to ordinary pliers ever again.

I have a 15 year old set of what I call Channellock water pump pliers with the blue vinyl grips. Mine may be Model 440. One drawback: they rust.
There's something about Channellocks that if you breath on them with too much moisture in your breath, they turn into a Titanic.

There's something about Channellocks that if you breath on them with too much moisture in your breath, they turn into a Titanic.
If you damage the clear varnish on them, maybe. Don’t do that, or oil them if so. No issues.

I’m quite surprised by the answers in the thread so far. Everyone has different experiences and that’s fine but I find my cobras to be leaps and bounds above the channel locks, especially in situations when you really need them to bite. In another level IMO.

I’m not a knipex fanboy either. I think they are somewhat overrated in general except for a few items:

Cobras
Plier Wrench
Twin Grips
The small bolt cutter thing is handy too.

for years i carryed knipex ten inch alligator pliers in my tool belt,they lasted and worked very well,channel lock are good but next in line,,also to note Klien has a new adjustable plier out now and look really nice,they are made in germany,but look different some what to knipex

Last edited:
Back