Large Tongue and Groove Pliers: Channellock vs. Knipex

Went with the 480’s - could not justify the cost of the Knipex for occasional use. Looks like they barely fit my pliers drawer. 😳

IMG_3807.jpeg

Last edited:
Channellock . the original and still the best. I remember back in the day my wife attempted to do something nice for me so she bought me some of those self tightening Craftsman Channelock style pliers that Bob Vila was promoting... I found them useless compared to the old type..

Was talking about 20" Channelock pliers the other day in another forum where in a former life I worked in the heavy petrochemical/refinery world.

[...]I can remember removing some studs from a Haveg 66 pipe which carried highly corrosive chlorinated hydrocarbons and had been in production for about 15 years.

The nuts on the studs had long since lost their flats but had enough metal remaining that they would not just break off and we could not cut them with grinders or a torch due to the explosive atmosphere. I was able to remove the remnants of the nuts with a couple of pairs of 20" channelock pliers without breaking the Haveg piping which is a casted fiberglass style piping.[...]

I don't believe another brand existed back in the early 1980s and Channelocks served us well.

Was telling my plumber brother in law about the knipex cobras, and he almost slapped me. I'm surprised he doesn't have a channelock tattoo. So I said why not the v jaw channelocks, he swears by the straight jaw. Then he bought me a set of 440s and 426s! Fine with me!

I have both and they are holding up fine. My giant channellocks took no time at all to start oxidizing and looking like it belongs in a rust bin, however its still fine.

Back