Large amount of lithium found in fracking waste water

Lithium is the primary material needed for EV batteries. According to this article researchers have found large amounts of the stuff in fracking wastewater in Pennsylvania.

Maybe we can have it all?

That article popped up in your android news feed too? 😆
It is a good lead on "where" to locate Lithium. It's the new material that's in demand these days. Be nice if they set up a recycle bin for this water. Thanks

Seems sketchy. How much Li is in the wastewater?
Considering its waste, thats not really the question. The question is cost to extract vs its value. If its positive ROI then they should be incentivized somehow to extract it. I vote we use all our energy sources wisely and quit relying on the rest of the world to export stuff to us.

Considering its waste, thats not really the question. The question is cost to extract vs its value. If its positive ROI then they should be incentivized somehow to extract it. I vote we use all our energy sources wisely and quit relying on the rest of the world to export stuff to us.
Point is article said neither

I only asked that way SO could thumbnail if ROI worth it myself

Point is article said neither

I only asked that way SO could thumbnail if ROI worth it myself
It is vague - but they do infer. The quote is from the researcher above.

Their results suggest that the Marcellus Shale "has the capacity to provide significant lithium yields for the foreseeable future" – as long as fracking continues, that is.

If scientists can extract even a conservative amount of lithium from fracking wastewater in the state, they calculate it could meet more than 30 percent of the current US demand.

Except that there is a growing number of people who want us to go back to horse and wagons, candles and campfires while the rest of the world keeps advancing and outpacing U.S. every day now. Despite the fact that the western world has some of the most regulated, safe , clean industries on the planet. Doesn't matter, when forced to tell the whole story it will probably be they found parts per trillion or nearly zero lithium!

Last edited:
Back