Lab test results of five 75w90 gear oils

Interesting thread. So after reading two pages I'm safe to use whatever 75W90 synthetic gear oil? Manual calls for 75W85 in the rear and 80W90 in the front. Dana M210/M220 with electric lockers.
It’s fairly safe to say, that if your manual calls for 75w85 & 80w90 and you’re changing the fluid on a reasonable basis, that yes, you can use pretty much whichever one you & your wallet fancy.

There are some differences in the choices, but it’s not likely to show up anytime soon in an OEM application. If you’ve modified the vehicle, then there are probably better choices than others. I know who my money is going to, but at least now everyone’s got the same dataset to work with. 👍🏻

I lost a rear end - 2002 Dodge 1500 … 100% oil related …
Oil was changed at Shell quick lube @ 30k … of course it failed at 62k - all on me …
75W-140 was as thin as hydraulic fluid but not for the classic stink …
Ring, pinion, spiders, pins, etc - all worn - but no heat indications …
I bought a rear end with 80k - they put in schaeffer gear oil …
That truck got passed around the family a few more years …

Last edited:
generally the most dependable mechanical device in the driveline is the differential and its also worth saying that it is also the device that gets the least maintenance. :) Only the BITOG set probably even knows it is there and has some form of lube in it.

the beauty of all of this testing is it is pretty much useless. the most reliable mechanical part of the driveline is the diff, and most people will never wear one out. LOL... even if they never change the gear lube... so the scientific guys who like to bench race the subject really must be bored to tears trying to prove one synthetic gear lube is going to outperform just about any other in the same viscosity and rating..View attachment 155742
But it may make a difference to guys with hot hatch's with small AWD rear diffs with semi high to high HP/TQ going through them. AND the small bearing taking the load in them. Or people that use smaller vehicles that tow.

I’ll see if it’s been tested recently.
whether that lab is willing to share the results or not, do you think they would share the names of all the 75w85 and 75w90 (and maybe even 75w110 and 75w140) they have tested? I don’t know if you ever found a Valvoline test, and I would love to see a Motorcraft 75w85 test. So yes, I would love to see results, but if we knew which fluids were available, it might help us focus on which to press for reports on.

whether that lab is willing to share the results or not, do you think they would share the names of all the 75w85 and 75w90 (and maybe even 75w110 and 75w140) they have tested? I don’t know if you ever found a Valvoline test, and I would love to see a Motorcraft 75w85 test. So yes, I would love to see results, but if we knew which fluids were available, it might help us focus on which to press for reports on.
Let me reach out and see if they will share all those results. Not sure what’s been tested; but understand we’re asking for a LOT of “free” data they’re not getting paid for. I’ll see what I can do… no promises, but definitely hoping (for all our sakes!) that we can get that data!

I suppose this is a thread hijack, but can anyone think of any way that Ford Motorcraft OEM 75w-85 is superior to Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-90? I suppose it flows better when really cold, but I live in Texas. The SVG is one of the lighter 75w-90’s anyway. I might prefer the Motul if I can find it, but the SVG can be had for less, and I can go pick it up at local Amsoil distribution center.

2015 Ford 9.75 open diff 3.31 gearing, which is probably strained by the mobile brick high-roof Transit van “aerodynamics.” 90-95% highway, some steep forest road use, very occasional cold weather use.

I suppose this is a thread hijack, but can anyone think of any way that Ford Motorcraft OEM 75w-85 is superior to Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-90? I suppose it flows better when really cold, but I live in Texas. The SVG is one of the lighter 75w-90’s anyway. I might prefer the Motul if I can find it, but the SVG can be had for less, and I can go pick it up at local Amsoil distribution center.

2015 Ford 9.75 open diff 3.31 gearing, which is probably strained by the mobile brick high-roof Transit van “aerodynamics.” 90-95% highway, some steep forest road use, very occasional cold weather use.
Unless the Ford fluid is fully synthetic (and Group IV/V choices at that), there’s no way it “flows better when really cold”. I’m no gear oil expert by any means, but I believe the Brookfield number is the one that matters in this case. If it makes you feel any more secure in this choice, even @High Performance Lubricants has said Amsoil makes some pretty good gear lubes, and the testing shows Amsoil turns in really good wear numbers on the 4-ball wear tests, and good performance on the weld test as well.

However, if you’re seriously concerned about REALLY cold performance, HPL does make a “cold climate” Differential Life that has a pour point of like -81*F.

Piecing together PDS and SDS data for the Motorcraft, I believe KV40 is 66 (😳), KV100 is 11.53, spec grav .87, -40 Brookfield 48,000, pourpoint -49, ~65% “synthetic” base, ~35% “additives.

not what a “thickie” would want.

I think class8 trucks wearout the rear diffs pretty often. They have rear diff temp gauges too. I think synthetic gear oils have improved there longevity.

I use Mobil1 in new Mexico. It appears I have chosen wisely.
Plus it's cheap, can get it at any auto parts store, Walmart, ect.
Top off with some 85-140 to keep the viscosity up.
Can't say I have ever seen "diff life cc" or "motul".

Last edited:
I use Mobil1 in new Mexico. It appears I have chosen wisely.
Plus it's cheap, can get it at any auto parts store, Walmart, ect.
Top off with some 85-140 to keep the viscosity up.
Can't say I have ever seen "diff life cc" or "motul".
"Diff Life CC" is HPL's Cold Climate Differential Life gear oil, you won't find that on shelves. But it can be on your doorstep in 2 days!

"Motul" Gear 300 is highly revered in Subaru circles because one can use the same gear oil in manual transmission and both differentials without worry; 99% of other gear oils require a different product for the hypoid differentials in the transmission whereas Motul & HPL will protect both. You won't really find that on shelves, either, and lately you can't even find it on Amazon... but it's still obviously a great product.

If you get into the nitty-gritty of the testing details, it's clear that Mobil 1 is the "laggard" (if you will) of this specific group of gear oils. With that said, if your application calls for 75W90, you can discern two things: 1. Mobil meets that spec, and will pass the "normal" tests and likely serve a long service life just fine; and: 2. Depending on your priorities, there are clearly large differences between these gear oils: some have very low pour points; some have very long oxidation times; some have higher weld points (heavy load wear protection) and lower 4-ball wear results (light-duty wear protection), and some hit two or 3 top results. Ain't having multiple GOOD choices grand??

Yeah I'm in the hot part of new Mexico so low pour point doesn't really matter as the coldest it's gotten here in the last 20 years is -16f once and around -10f two other times.
I like the oxidation stability of that mobile1 since it might take me 4 to 9 years to run up 25,000 miles depending on the vehicle.
The shear stability of mobile1 isn't the greatest but knowing that I can just top off with some 85w-140 and be fine.
There's 2 places within 5 miles that sell it.

Here is my contribution to the science. Enjoy.

75C997A3-EE35-4D32-A6D3-DCB68538BA5A.jpeg

Here is my contribution to the science. Enjoy.

View attachment 173202
From your excellent addition, you can also see how the weld test is conducted; rather than a 40kg load, it is raised much higher... in the chart, you can see some oils fail at 400kg load on the weld test, and some fail at 500kg. David said an easy way to compare the load is 40kg (4-ball wear) represents "daily driving", city acceleration in traffic, per se. Weld test represents drag racing, with high shock loading.

Am I right to think that any "sealed" transmission/diff doesn't have to worry about oxidation much because any oxygen will be quickly consumed and then the process effectively stops?

(Not sure if there's a need to worry about non-oxygen oxidation (loss of electrons), or if that's even a consideration when measuring oxidation in this field)

Am I right to think that any "sealed" transmission/diff doesn't have to worry about oxidation much because any oxygen will be quickly consumed and then the process effectively stops?

(Not sure if there's a need to worry about non-oxygen oxidation (loss of electrons), or if that's even a consideration when measuring oxidation in this field)
They aren’t sealed and oxidation does occur

The main thing that you don’t have to worry about is fuel dilution and partially burned hydrocarbons

Back