Lab test results of five 75w90 gear oils

PDSC is an oxidation metric. Higher is better. Brookfield is viscosity, lower is better. 4-ball wear test is low-load equivalent, similar to highway driving; 4-ball weld test is a high-load test similar to shock loading or drag racing.

TL;DR- all of these gear oils are VERY good; some are a little better at certain things, but if you bought one there’s not much lost by waiting to drain for another choice. 👍🏻
IMG_1087.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
What’s really noticeable is the wide variance on the “PDSC” number between the first two fluids and the last three.

It makes me question whether the test result for that metric is accurate.

What is AMS oil? One word Amsoil.

Makes me doubt this. Link to original report?
Not sure why lab noted it as AMS oil. This was a quart of Severe Gear that I personally delivered, along with the Redline sample from @ford250. The HPL and Motul results were from my previous thread/test, and the lab included the Mobil 1 results since they had recently run that.

What’s really noticeable is the wide variance on the “PDSC” number between the first two fluids and the last three.

It makes me question whether the test result for that metric is accurate.
It’s an ASTM standard.

Not sure why lab noted it as AMS oil. This was a quart of Severe Gear that I personally delivered, along with the Redline sample from @ford250. The HPL and Motul results were from my previous thread/test, and the lab included the Mobil 1 results since they had recently run that.
Thanks. I didn't know this was something you were running. I wrongly assumed this is something grabbed from the interweb.

PDSC is an oxidation metric. Higher is better. Brookfield is viscosity, lower is better. 4-ball wear test is low-load equivalent, similar to highway driving; 4-ball weld test is a high-load test similar to shock loading or drag racing.

TL;DR- all of these gear oils are VERY good; some are a little better at certain things, but if you bought one there’s not much lost by waiting to drain for another choice. 👍🏻View attachment 152093
Amsoil Typical: (75W-90):
Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D445) 16.0
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D445) 97.8
Viscosity Index (ASTM D2270) 175
Brookfield Viscosity, cP @ (°C) (ASTM D2983) 61,940 (-40)
Flash Point, °C (°F) (ASTM D92) 222 (431.6)
Pour Point, °C (°F) (ASTM D97) -43 (-45)

It’s an ASTM standard.

Okay. It’s an ATSM standard.

But is anyone else wondering why there is such a difference in the PDSC values?

Okay. It’s an ATSM standard.

But is anyone else wondering why there is such a difference in the PDSC values?

That wide variance is common. It's a matter how much the brand cares to prevent oxidation. The use of anti-oxidants and better base oils show up in a good way in that test. The oils that tested much lower, that's common values of many base oils by themselves. It's unlikely that any top treatment was added to those oils in terms of oxidation prevention.

Not too well versed in gear oils but based on recommendations of other 04-06 GTO owners I ran Torco RGO 85w140 in that car. I've never asked around here. Does Torco have a good reputation?

Back