Status
Not open for further replies.
2wgrrea.jpg
9iw8ar.jpg
21ab6mw.jpg
2co5r2s.jpg
2crrgvd.jpg
2uz9s1s.jpg
5k OCI, some wavy media but no rips, holes, or tears. Installed another L14610 out of my $1.50 a filter stash.

Hi Bud, the filter is off my sons Nissan Frontier 4.0 V6, 2013 so a clean engine. He ran it for 5000 miles with PP5W30. Live in a small town so lots of short trips hence the relatively short OCI.

Looks okay considering how cheap it is, but I dont think two yeas ago we wouldve seen a wavey media.

Another post that makes me happy I switched to ULTRA.

Thanks for cut

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Lol bud one!
Originally Posted By: Bud_One
Any info on OCI?

At the very end of the post

grin.gif
, thanks ,I totally missed it

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: larry007
Hi Bud, the filter is off my sons Nissan Frontier 4.0 V6, 2013 so a clean engine. He ran it for 5000 miles with PP5W30. Live in a small town so lots of short trips hence the relatively short OCI.

Thanks for the cut and post
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: sir1900
Looks good.

Well I guess we have different definitions of good, unless the only options I'm given are terrible or good? Then I guess this is towards the good end more. It's acceptable, I would not say it looks particularly great...

That media looks soft, I can see why some others put wire mesh behind media, to prevent tearing. When I take apart a Denso filter, the media is strong and not soft, it doesn't tear by any normal attack, doesn't need wire behind it. If that media pictured is not soft and weak, pardon me for my views. It has nothing to do with what brand it is.

Thanks for posting. Glad to see the pleats didn't tear... I really do want to see them turn things around so I can feel comfortable using them again.

Oh my goodness, NOT ANOTHER ONE! A purolator that DID JUST FINE! NO TEARS! Good job OP, thanks for the cut and post. More and more Purolators that are doing just fine. Looks like the hysteria was just that...hysteria
grin.gif

That filter looks terrible. I'm surprised it did not tear. It has all the the ugly signs of a puro that does. Wavy stretched media, wide uneven pleating, and media bonding that's under pressure. I would not run this filter had I seen these pictures prior.

Oh, one without a tear ... guess that means there never was an issue (just "hysteria") and every Purolator in the world in now tear resistant! LoL
grin.gif

BTW, it is old stock. Made 5-8-2012.

I have two L14610 purolators in service,4 more in the stash. As long as I don't see a defect in the filters I inspect, then I will use them for the short OCI's I run. Sorry, but I don't have a dog in the oil filter fight. If I have one with a defect I'll gladly post the pics here.

FYI - I'm currently running a PL14610 on my Altima and have one more in stand-by. If this one doesn't tear then I'll use the other one since they have the same date code. But once the last one is gone then it's the FU all the way.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Oh my goodness, NOT ANOTHER ONE! A purolator that DID JUST FINE! NO TEARS! Good job OP, thanks for the cut and post. More and more Purolators that are doing just fine. Looks like the hysteria was just that...hysteria
grin.gif

I've cut open some that were torn, and some that were not. All from the same time frame and a similar amount of miles (less than 5,000). Just because some were not torn, the fact that some of them were was enough to sway me from the brand until they get their act together.

it's enough to steer me away from the brand permanently. I only need to get burned once to remember it's hot. What's their next trick, media that really isn't as efficient as they say it is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back