Bosch 3300 Cut Open 5,104 Miles

Here's a Bosch 3300 video.
Does your metal can have an indention for the Anti drain back valve to go into or can you post a pic of the top filter where the ADBV sets w/ the ADBV removed? You can see WCW had to pull the red ADBV out of the can with two hands. If yours does then it appears your ADBV is upside down.
The Bosch in that WCW video doesn't have the cylinder protruding out of the base end end cap like the OP's Bosch. It instead has a recess in the end cap.

The last picture looks like it's sealing better w/o spring tension or w/o pressing it down. When you press it down like in the first picture it causes the ADBV to spring upwards. It does appear correctly oriented after all though. Also, this one being different from the 3300 in the video was it made in Mexico
It is made in Mexico. Possible design change from WCW or maybe an Amazon counterfeit?

View attachment 204572First post, changed oil in my ‘17 Pathfinder yesterday. Looks like the ADBV was pressed flat against the end cap instead covering the holes. Wavy pleats but no tears, filter is made in MexicoView attachment 204569View attachment 204570View attachment 204571
Good Afternoon Stig29er,
Thank you for the C&P.
Your pictures have made it clear; its time to say arrivederci to Bosch. For a 5-6K OCI, Fram Extra Guard at $4.12 or the Tough Guard at $7.17. Great performance, value and availability. I'm a big Tough Guard user but I am moving to the Extra Guard for the nylon center core. No more inspecting stamped louvers to see if they're open enough! :)

Good Afternoon Stig29er,
Thank you for the C&P.
Your pictures have made it clear; its time to say arrivederci to Bosch. For a 5-6K OCI, Fram Extra Guard at $4.12 or the Tough Guard at $7.17. Great performance, value and availability. I'm a big Tough Guard user but I am moving to the Extra Guard for the nylon center core. No more inspecting stamped louvers to see if they're open enough! :)
You’re welcome! Actually put a Fram Extra Guard PH6607 on this go round it had a metal core with holes though

You’re welcome! Actually put a Fram Extra Guard PH6607 on this go round it had a metal core with holes though
Excellent, great decision. The change to the Extra Guards is underway and store inventory is in transition! My Walmart has 1 with the metal core and the rest have the new nylon core.

If room permits, and if you're interested in doing so, the PH7317 is the same filter but only a bit longer for more media area. Lots of people here do that "upsize" option, as a personal choice of course.

Excellent, great decision. The change to the Extra Guards is underway and store inventory is in transition! My Walmart has 1 with the metal core and the rest have the new nylon core.

If Fram is moving to e-core on the PH series you can bet that they have changed the media. It would take more than double what they are using now to get all those pleats you see in an e-core. I highly doubt they’d stick with the 95% syn blend media for that given the cost cutting we’ve seen out of FB since they took over.

I was in Wally’s yesterday looking at automotive stuff and forgot to look and see if they had any e-core orange cans. 😮

If Fram is moving to e-core on the PH series you can bet that they have changed the media. It would take more than double what they are using now to get all those pleats you see in an e-core. I highly doubt they’d stick with the 95% syn blend media for that given the cost cutting we’ve seen out of FB since they took over.

I was in Wally’s yesterday looking at automotive stuff and forgot to look and see if they had any e-core orange cans. 😮
If the orange cans are e-core and they substitute the silicone ADBV for a nitrile then the supertech or basic Champ filters will be a better value.

If Fram is moving to e-core on the PH series you can bet that they have changed the media. It would take more than double what they are using now to get all those pleats you see in an e-core.
Not if the diameter of the eCore center tube is larger than or even the same as the metal center tube. Even if the eCore diameter was the same, then the number of pleats per total media area would be the same. Typically from what I've seen, most filters with an eCore center tube the diameter of the eCore center tube is larger than most filters with a metal center tube.

The e-core Fram PH7317 has ~15% less filter media (84 vs 100 sq-in) than the old metal core style

1708493764956.jpg

The e-core Fram PH7317 has ~15% less filter media (84 vs 100 sq-in) than the old metal core style

View attachment 204655

Good Morning Kantaro,
Thank you for sharing the video. I found the dating interesting because my Walmart is just now getting this new version of the Extra Guard and the video is showing its been out at least one year!

Doing the math on the media changes, the 100.19 vs 83.88 in2 is a 16.2% reduction but the thickness grew from .91 to .95, a 4.4% increase. I also noticed the end caps are the same standardized (top and bottom identical) metal ones used on the blue Supertech MP oil filters.

I'm good with these changes if Fram maintains the current performance specs of 95% efficiency at 20 microns and 10K miles life.

Great info here. The change to a nitrile ADBV tells the story, they are looking for any way they can to save a penny. Consistent with what they have been doing the last couple of years. Unless you are willing to shell out 13 bucks to get the Endurance that is what the Ultra used to be for 9 bucks. :eek:

I'm pretty disgusted with Fram right now, and it's what I have on both my cars at the moment. :(

......filter is made in Mexico
In my observation, including but not limited to personal use of many US made Bosch Premium (3323) filters, vs the newer Mexico coo, the latter have proven to be poor quality filters. This one just latest example. Don't know if coo change an M&H or Bosch or both decision, but for BP quality a move in the wrong direction. And imo, filter is current Bosch Prem, same coo BP coming out of Amazon and RA.

I also agree with comment regarding the adbv. If not touched after cutting, it looks to have slid down the outlet flange and flipped directions. I'm very familiar with that finding as I found the Grupo Gonher made Nissan OEM to have the same defect and posted it with c&p. Then discovered other anecdotes posted showing it, just unrecognized. Ironic as Nissan OEM same coo as topic. The other explanation, adbv installed upside down. Results the same though, compromised adbv function and very likely oil bypass at the outlet tube end, same the Nissan OEM.

Obviously, I won't be purchasing any more BP filters. Best way to describe this one, ugly.

Thanks for c&p.

Great info here. The change to a nitrile ADBV tells the story, they are looking for any way they can to save a penny. Consistent with what they have been doing the last couple of years. Unless you are willing to shell out 13 bucks to get the Endurance that is what the Ultra used to be for 9 bucks. :eek:

I'm pretty disgusted with Fram right now, and it's what I have on both my cars at the moment. :(
This seems to be the case across the board with all filter manufacturers. I mean even the Purolator red filters, which may or may not have a silicone ADBV, and may or may not have open louvers are $10 on Amazon. I ordered Champ XLs from Rockauto thinking they were a good value and half of them were the wrong filter altogether, and the other half had nitrile ADBV instead of silicone. :LOL:

Back