KYB Struts 04 Ford Escape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally changed out the factory struts on our 04 Escape, 166k and was long long overdue on the front struts, a lot of rough interstates and back roads. Had various clunks from the front and back which might of just been a loose nut on the shock on the back and a bad Moog sway bar link on the front, bought good years ago and thought they last till the end guess not. She's told me to change those our for years and not sure why I didn't. She says it drives like a new car.. but why didn't you change out the back shocks also? Those are on the way.

Figured I'd post since I've heard KYB struts are stiff on some vehicles, wife approved so must be ok! Might be the fact it's a V6 and the springs are undersized by design.Time will tell. The Monroe's on the Focus seems equally as good but had to tightened the nut on it, 40k on those.

Way to go!
smile.gif

Yes indeed, do the rears also. Keep us posted on the progress.

Quick struts are awesome
smile.gif

Nothing wrong with KYB, they make good shocks, but just know that Ford does offer Motorcraft quick struts with the OE strut, spring, and mount, 98% OE components

Got the KYB GR2 for the back and put in. What's odd is the Monroe's that came out with at least 100k was harder to compress than the new KYB's but the KYB's have a stiffer ride. Obligatory shot of the drivers side that I finally got cut out, new shock bracket installed and fiberglass patch.

IMG_3036.JPG

Too many reports of being too stiff for my consideration.

Glad you are happy with them.

The Gr2's are a little stiff to start then break-in. Like in 10 to 15k. Then they hold that excellent performance a LONG time, unlike Monroes or similar which feel good to start then crap out at 40k miles. I have about 100k on some GR2s in a Lexus sedan and they still feel excellent. Have the Gas-A-Just in my suv, only 40k, but still feel like new unlike the very premium Monroe's which were sagging and shot by that mileage.

You will likely be happy long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back