KYB Excel G front shocks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anybody run the KYB Excel-G front shocks on RAM trucks? Or other front coil spring trucks. I'm looking for softer ride than the stock HD shocks on my 2014 RAM Express 3.6.

I do not own a truck but I replaced the rear shocks on my car with KYB excels and the ride is stiffer than the originals. I have heard that aftermarket shocks are usually made this way to make you think the old ones were worn out even if they weren't.

I put KYB Excel-G front shocks on my 99 Ram 1500 and the ride is excellent. It previously had Monroe heavy duty shocks in there and the ride was too stiff for my liking. I would highly recommend them on a truck.

If you can get both shocks [original and KYB] in your possession at the same time you should be able to tell if the KYBs are going to ride stiffer by extending/contracting them as fast as you can by hand. In my case the KYBs moved about %20 slower and it was noticeable in the ride.

How many miles on the truck? The ride may soften as the miles increase.

US made KYBs are factory OE for NA built Honda; Showa is the OE supplier (with a small numbers of Jpn KYBs are for the rest of Jpn built Hondas) for Jpn hondas.

US made KYBs are unreliable, IMO, citing that 3 NA built Hondas (1 ody, 1 civic, 1 accord) all suffered from premature strut/shock failures during warranty period; and the rest of them would fail before 80~90k...

Most NA built Toys are OE'ed with Sach; some from other sources (not yet able to identify).

Q.

I had enough frustrations dealing with KYB in the past, from GR-2 to Excel-G, with mixed results. I no longer support/install them on my clientele's cars. I'd rather go with either Monroe OE spectrum or Tokicos.

1100 miles on truck, yes they may soften. I lowered the rear with Ground Force springs and installed Monroe Sensatrac shocks. Now the front end is rougher than the rear going over tracks, small bumps etc. Monroe doesn't make Sensatracs for the front. I looked at Bilstein's but they are monotube, which tend to be stiffer. Looking for a twin-tube gas nice ride shock for a truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back