Shocks recommendations for 2002 F150?

Hey all. I replaced the shocks on my 02 F150 2WD with KYB Excel-G’s and I’m not too crazy about them as they feel a bit stiff for my liking. I grabbed those shocks after replacing every suspension component in my truck because I read a few reviews on different sites where people liked them a lot, but that’s just not the case with me after actually owning them. Are there softer shocks out there that anyone could recommend?

I see people recommend stiff shocks all the time to people wanting soft shocks. It's some kind of fad, or maybe a Tic Tok challenge?

I had Bilsteins before but they were a little stiff too. I’m not too worried about body roll as I have a sway bar kit on the way. Just want something that floats and isn’t so springy

Last edited:
I had Bilsteins before but they were about stiff too. I’m not too worried about body roll as I have a sway bar kit on the way. Just want something that floats and isn’t so springy
Have you tried the Bilsteins 4600's as opposed to the 5100's ?

The KYB's are stiff shocks-that seems to be the number one complaint with them.
Then some complain the Monroes don't last but they are more like OEM.

Last edited:
Have you tried the Bilsteins 4600's as opposed to the 5100's ?

The KYB's are stiff shocks-that seems to be the number one complaint with them.
Then some complain the Monroes don't last but they are more like OEM.
I had 4600’s up front and 5100’s in the rear (because of a lift) and they were responsive but drove like a board lol. Monroe’s were something I considered as well but like you said their lack of longevity is what made me not go with them

Oil; 'thick or thin'?
Shocks; stiff or soft?
Getting old;
that's easy, thick and soft shock.jpg

Depends on your use. Is it just a beater to go to the home store? KYB are great for that. I’ve had King shocks on mine for almost 20 years. A couple rebuilds and custom valved. Price is a little outrageous in comparison though

Depends on your use. Is it just a beater to go to the home store? KYB are great for that. I’ve had King shocks on mine for almost 20 years. A couple rebuilds and custom valved. Price is a little outrageous in comparison though
It’s my daily driver so I’m in it many hours of the day 5 days a week

Monroe sensatrak or Monroe reflex, if they are available for your truck, and it’s not lifted. I really like the reflex and had them in a keep grand cherokee and a Chrysler minivan. They will be softer than bilstein or kyb, will reduce body motion, and yet will let the suspension flex and work. i personally lean towards fox, but they are stiffer than bilstein. I think bilsteins are valved a little funny.

KYB Excel-Gs are a twin-tube shock. Fine for a “normal” car. I’d look into a monotube shock like KYB’s Gas-A-Just/Monomax or Bilstein. Monroe used to make a monotube shock a while ago.

I put Some Monroe Gas Magnum on the front and Gabriel Ultra on the rear of my '02 F150 Supercrew 5-6 years/20,000 miles ago and have been happy with them.
Smooth riding for me.

KYB Excel-Gs are a twin-tube shock. Fine for a “normal” car. I’d look into a monotube shock like KYB’s Gas-A-Just/Monomax or Bilstein. Monroe used to make a monotube shock a while ago.
I have KYB Monomaxs on my 2002 Ford F-150 FX4 and they ride better than any shock I've ever had on it.
My 2 cents worth.

Back