Honda shock leaking

I just took my 2010 Honda Civic out of winter storage (~5 months) and noticed one of the rear shocks is leaking. It looks fresh so I assume it is recent. Drove to work today, 54 miles total, and it doesn't seem to be leaking anymore.

Would storing a car cause the shock to leak? Is it possible for it to leak a little bit and then stop? I'm surprised it is leaking with only 70k miles on the car and it has an easy life.

I will probably replace them with the KYB Excel-G from rockauto if it keeps leaking. It appears the OEM shocks are made by KYB.

Attachments

• 20210405_142732.jpg
    20210405_142732.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 78
  • Screenshot_20210406-174445_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210406-174445_Gallery.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 78
Most would consider the pictured shock is weeping and not leaking. Was the vehicle stored off the ground with wheels hanging down? Ed

Storing a car for 5 months would not cause the shocks to leak, shocks often just develop a leak from age and wear and tear. There's actually quite a bit of oil in a shock, so with just a little weeping I'd keep driving the car and keep an eye on it.

Sometimes they fail prematurely. My Mazda 3 had a failed leaking shock at only 36k miles. For me, it was an excuse to replace all 4 shocks with Koni yellows and +20% springs. And a stiffer rear swaybar. Now the car is WAY more fun to drive. OTOH, if all you do is replace that one shock, it's an easy job. If you don't replace it, the shock oil will gradually get all over the wheel well and attract dirt, making a big mess.

Sometimes they fail prematurely. My Mazda 3 had a failed leaking shock at only 36k miles. For me, it was an excuse to replace all 4 shocks with Koni yellows and +20% springs. And a stiffer rear swaybar. Now the car is WAY more fun to drive. OTOH, if all you do is replace that one shock, it's an easy job. If you don't replace it, the shock oil will gradually get all over the wheel well and attract dirt, making a big mess.
OTOH, it might protect the undercarriage from road salt.
OP, from the looks in that 1st pic you must deal with some harsh road conditions in the winter (with just 70K miles).
I would not worry about it, yet.

I don't know if rust could have developed on the piston's rod and then as you drove, passed by the seal repeatedly causing the oil to leak.

One year later I am taking the car out of storage again and there is once again oil on that same shock. I'd say about the same amount. After wiping the shock off last year it never leaked again all summer.

Seems weird it only leaks while sitting. 🤔

Back