Kumho Tires

Bought a set of Kumho tires to replace the OE Michelins on the wife's Ford Edge. The Michelins have barely 35K and aren't going to pass the NC safety check. For being a top tier tire they were wildly mediocre. I've has several sets of Kumho and they are better than average and not too expensive. I bought four of these.

Anybody have experience with Kumhos?

2UgMbH4U_h4Jjxs9BeFiPBO0cyoivVVqs5rpsE-NaCt4O3gwmWqKv8H4K0QC3_eK7vlPOe2xv3KSnJpiuT7Mjcwj3QoQEEKVI11vX2vmPmntRJhOnWVWT3KZcJ4jMF6NujB2XH3R9wU=s0-d-e1-ft
Kumho​
Crugen HP71​
245 /60 R18 105V SL BSW​

Mostly decent product. If Michelin is a Mercedes, Kumho is like a Chevy or Hyundai or something. Just fine for most people.

When it came time to replace the tries on my 2015 Nissan Armada, I did some research on tires for it. The top 2 were the Kumho Crugen and the Michelin Defender. I had never even heard of Kumho so I went with the Michelins. The Michelins made the truck feel like I was riding on a magic carpet compared to the original Continental Contitrac tires (they were HORRIBLE)! The highest reviews for the Kumho came on the Tire Rack website, where they were just about 5 stars out of 5 in every category.
At the time of purchase, I asked my tire dealer about the Kumho tires, and he said they were very good, but it would take a few days to get them in my size, but he had the Michelins in stock.

Last edited:
Same here; had a set of Kumho Ecsta PA51s on my past F25 BMW X3. They replaced the OEM run-flats and were such an improvement, both in the quality of the ride and responsiveness. They balanced perfectly, wore evenly and were about 1/3 of the way thru their life after 25k miles.

Bought a set of Kumho tires to replace the OE Michelins on the wife's Ford Edge. The Michelins have barely 35K and aren't going to pass the NC safety check. For being a top tier tire they were wildly mediocre. I've has several sets of Kumho and they are better than average and not too expensive. I bought four of these.

Anybody have experience with Kumhos?
So the Michelins Spec'ed by ford were mediocre.. blame ford.

They got exactly what they demanded .. guessing.. a tire with low noise, and good mpg among other things.

Long wear and good traction are not priorities of Car manufacturer.

Just look to subaru spec'ing all kinds of tires that were poor in winter on their "snowmageddon" vehicles.

Last edited:
Had those as OEM on my wife's Santa Fe. They were one of the best OEM tires I have had on any vehicle.

I have Kumho tires on my old ‘04 Subaru. Crugen HT51’s. Excellent tire as far as I can tell you. Best tires I’ve run on that car. Bought the car new in June 2004. These things are fantastic in snowy conditions and any other condition. Smooth as glass on pavement. 12.5 32nds to start tread depth. Look like the Michelin Defender.

I wouldn’t touch Kumho with 10ft pole.
If you got Michelin with new car, it is tire with specifications set by manufacturer.
Not trolling, just wondering why not?

Ive never run them. I had a friend who was a certified transmission tech, and for a while at least they became his go-to brand.

Not trolling, just wondering why not?

Ive never run them. I had a friend who was a certified transmission tech, and for a while at least they became his go-to brand.
That and Nokian R2 were only tires that I thought praying (and I am not religious) is more effective when it comes to stopping than braking in wet. Also, 3 out of 4 were out of round after 14k.
Comparing them to Michelin is like comparing Antonov An2 to F22 technology wise.

And that’s just your experience. Mine is the opposite. I know of people with bad experiences with Michelin tires. Am I to believe they’re all junk? No I’m not.

And that’s just your experience. Mine is the opposite. I know of people with bad experiences with Michelin tires. Am I to believe they’re all junk? No I’m not.
I had previously several Kumho’s that were what you expect, mediocre. But, these were absolute disaster. I got them new on CPO car as Kumho is brand I would consider if I can’t find top tier brands.
I had dozens of Michelin tires. Some were wearing faster or things like that, but NONE were dangerous on the road.

Kumho and Hankook are 2 brands i recommend for those not wanting to spend Michelin money at Work. Personal Cars have Kumho TA11's and Hankook HP2's. Long Treadlife and Good Wet Traction, No snow or ice concern in the Southeast.

I had a bad experience with Kumho tires. Brand new and the shop couldn't get them to balance. Put on a new set of Kumhos and same thing. They ended up swapping them out for Toyo's. I should have known better than to purchase something called Kum-ho. Even name sound terrible.

I ran a set of 225/60/15 "Ecstas" on a '66 Mustang; were still good when I sold it after six years and 15,000 miles.
and had some fun track days with them as well.

Back