Good cheap 14" tires for Neon? Kumho PwrStar 758?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The old Neon is gonna need some new tires in the next few months. I'll either go back to the factory steel 14x5.5 wheels & run 185/65/14, or keep using the Mopar 14x6 alloys & run a set of 205/60/14 to replace the 195/60/14's I'm driving on now(Kumho HP4 716's, H rated).

I don't seem to throw it *hard* around the corners much these days, & with good care practices just about anything should last 40,000 miles or more.

I ordered the present Kumhos from TireRack, ain't gonna do that again-no free rotate & rebalance kills any savings *fast*! According to Discount Tire website, the local Discount Tire(Longview, TX) has Kumho Powerstar 758, 185/65/14, T-rated, 400, A, B, at $234.50 drive out for set of four. Also, same store offers Falken ZIEX ZE-512's, H-rated, 420, A, A, for $299.50 in 185/65/14, & for $325.45 in 205/60/14. I'm really not interested in anything in 195/60/14 this time around.

The Falken ZIEX reviews I've read here & elsewhere seem to indicate lots of love or hate for these tires, with little in between. Reminds me of Dunlops- ir they're good, fine, but sometimes they're not so good. Can't find any reviews on the Kumho PowerStar 758's so far(TireRack doesn't offer them).

Whatever I buy will almost certainly come either from the above mentioned Discount Tire shop, or from an independent dealer also in Longview. I might strongly consider some BF Goodrich Traction T/A's, but they'll probably cost about $400 for a set- that was the approximate quote a year ago.

Based on my experience with the Kumho 716's(not great, but certainly good-very good & trouble free), the $235 Kumho PowerStar 758's look pretty good to me.

So, any other ideas or input to offer? Wal-Mart is a no-go for me, as is TireRack or other mail order tires. TIA for any input you care to offer.

Thanks, Methuselah! I won't ask how old you are.
wink.gif

Some good info there, but I forgot to mention: here in NE Texas, snow/ice traction is normally the last thing we need to worry about. No snow so far this winter, none last winter, & only a light dust one time the winter before that.

Also, I goofed: TireRack *does* have some reviews on the Kumho PowerStar 758, & most of them look pretty good. If it's weak on snow tracion, I can live with that. Plus, on their website, it's the cheapest tire that Discout Tire offers in 185/65/14. Looks like I'll be returning to the factory steel wheels. Hope those old stiff-sidewall BFG's haven't grown to the rims!
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back